Exploring Linear Frame Dragging in the Context of General Relativity

In summary, this is a scientific explanation of how objects seem to move faster when near an accelerating object.
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
"Linear frame dragging"?

wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_Dragging#Frame_dragging_effects says:
Linear frame dragging is the similarly inevitable result of the general principle of relativity, applied to linear momentum. Although it arguably has equal theoretical legitimacy to the "rotational" effect, the difficulty of obtaining an experimental verification of the effect means that it receives much less discussion and is often omitted from articles on frame-dragging (but see Einstein, 1921)

(Naty1 has drawn attention to this to this in a Library comment.)

What is this referring to?

Is it a generally accepted terminology, or is it just wikipedia's wishful thinking? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org

Linear frame-dragging is the effect that if a test mass is near to an accelerating massive object, its frame of reference is slightly accelerated in the same direction, giving the impression that the rest of the universe is accelerating slightly in the opposite direction. This is consistent with the Mach's principle idea that if the whole universe were accelerating uniformly in the same direction, local reference frames would also accelerate with it, making the acceleration unobservable.

This linear frame-dragging effect is of course tiny in comparison with the ordinary gravitational acceleration and is even more difficult to measure than rotational frame-dragging.

I don't know where the terminology came from; I've heard it before, but I've also heard this effect being referred to as "inertia induction" (by Dennis Sciama, in his fascinating paper "On the Origin of Inertia").

If anyone knows a physical explanation for frame dragging, I'd sure be interested. Wiki derives the ffect from the Kerr metric: does the interaction arise from a specific piece of the Einstein stress energy tensor??

Also, how is frame dragging related to the geodetic effect; Wikipedia has a cross reference with frame dragging, but the relationship isn't clear..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_effect

When I read a few pages about rotational frame dragging in Fabric of The Cosmos by Brian Greene, I see I wrote myself a note:

"seems to follow the equivalence principle of acceleration and "g", but here via
v = w(r)" ...not too far fetched...

Brian Greene says :
...just as a massive objects warps space and time so a rotating object drags space and time around it...(it) implies, for example, an asteroid freely falling toward a rapdily rotating neutron star or black hole will get caught up in a whirlpool of spinning space and be whipped around as it journeys downward."

Related to Exploring Linear Frame Dragging in the Context of General Relativity

1. What is linear frame dragging in the context of general relativity?

Linear frame dragging is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, where the rotation of a massive object causes a dragging effect on the space-time around it. This effect can cause a shift in the orientation of nearby objects, similar to how a spinning top can cause a marble on its surface to rotate.

2. How is linear frame dragging explored in the context of general relativity?

Scientists explore linear frame dragging by using mathematical equations and simulations to study the behavior of space-time around rotating objects. They also use experiments and observations to test the predictions of general relativity.

3. What evidence supports the existence of linear frame dragging?

One of the main pieces of evidence for linear frame dragging is the Lense-Thirring effect, which has been observed in the orbits of satellites around the Earth and other rotating bodies in space. Additionally, gravitational wave detections from merging black holes have also provided evidence for the validity of general relativity and its predictions.

4. How does linear frame dragging affect the behavior of objects in space?

Linear frame dragging can cause a shift in the orientation of nearby objects, as well as a change in their trajectories. This effect is most noticeable near massive rotating objects, such as black holes or neutron stars, but can also have an impact on the motion of smaller objects in their vicinity.

5. How does understanding linear frame dragging contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Studying linear frame dragging and its effects on space-time allows scientists to better understand the behavior of gravity and the structure of the universe. It also helps in the development of more accurate models and theories, which can then be applied to other phenomena in the cosmos, such as the formation and evolution of galaxies and the expansion of the universe.