Exploring Human Thought: Is it Just Neurons or Something Else?

• Thread starter Odin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary: Originally posted by Rader Would it? You said replacement, if... if the memories themselves were the thought, then wouldn't removing them leave us without thought? It would depend on the definition of "thought." If by "thought" we mean the conscious experience of ideas, then it would likely leave us without thought. If by "thought" we mean the process of thinking, then memories would still be thought even if they were not stored in the brain.
Odin
What is human thought? Is it just a bunch of neurons firing? Or is it in a higher plane of existence? Do we form our own thoughts? I have been wracking my brain for a few days about this one and can't seem to finalise a theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Human thought is a bunch of electrochemical signals zipping away in our brain. This does not make it less meaningful then the other ideas of what thought is.

A song is just a bunch of sound waves flowing through the air, but it is still beautiful.

A rose is just a clump of organic compounds with rudimentary DNA. Yet it still holds the power to captivate.

them eltro-chemical firings are the way our physical brain processes an idea from our mind.

our mind exists at or in an enviornment that we haven't scientifically proven exists.

peace,

Originally posted by olde drunk
them eltro-chemical firings are the way our physical brain processes an idea from our mind.

our mind exists at or in an enviornment that we haven't scientifically proven exists.

peace,

Validate your claim with facts

Originally posted by olde drunk

peace,
Not to be nitpicky, but if it hasn't been shown to exist, how do you know it is there in the first place?

Originally posted by Zero
Not to be nitpicky, but if it hasn't been shown to exist, how do you know it is there in the first place?

Consciousness cannot be shown to exist purely from the 3rd person perspective, but its existence is obvious from the 1st person perspective (in fact, "1st person perspective" and "consciousness" are synonymous).

Originally posted by hypnagogue
Consciousness cannot be shown to exist purely from the 3rd person perspective, but its existence is obvious from the 1st person perspective (in fact, "1st person perspective" and "consciousness" are synonymous).
I wasn't referring to consciousness, I was addressing the idea that consiousness "exists at or in an enviornment that we haven't scientifically proven exists".

Unless the 1st person perspective of the brain is biased by an evolutionary innovation that causes similar information to be integrated into seemingly coherent thought, while there is nothing there but that which is observable in the 3rd person perspective: computation.

Originally posted by Mentat
Unless the 1st person perspective of the brain is biased by an evolutionary innovation that causes similar information to be integrated into seemingly coherent thought, while there is nothing there but that which is observable in the 3rd person perspective: computation.

Hello, there is obviously something there that is not observable from the 3rd person perspective. You cannot observe my experience of redness. Perhaps you will say that you can view my experience of redness from a different perspective by observing my brain functions; but the point is that in order to do that you need to assume a different perspective. I occupy a certain perspective that you have no access to, and that in itself refutes your notion. If there were nothing but the 3rd person perspective, as you seem to suggest, then you would have complete access to everything that I have access to.

Last edited:
Hello, there is obviously something there that is not observable from the 3rd person perspective. You cannot observe my experience of redness. Perhaps you will say that you can view my experience of redness from a different perspective by observing my brain functions; but the point is that in order to do that you need to assume a different perspective. I occupy a certain perspective that you have no access to, and that in itself refutes your notion. If there were nothing but the 3rd person perspective, as you seem to suggest, then you would have complete access to everything that I have access to.

I don't see what your are getting at.

how do we prove that people that were declare brain dead, recovered to report an experience?

their brain waves ceased, but they didn't.

my brain is the communication device for my mind to the physical.

sorry, can't be proven. BUT it can't be disproven EITHER.

prove me wrong.

peace,

memory molecules

If thought was a result of brain functions, that were explained only on its funtioning parts, then replacement of memory molecules would leave us without thought.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Rader
If thought was a result of brain functions, that were explained only on its funtioning parts, then replacement of memory molecules would leave us without thought.

Would it? You said replacement, if the replacement molecules were functioning, then you'd simply have different thoughts..

But memories are very much part of what makes thought possible.

But you statement is pretty much meaningless, since I have never heard of anybody "getting their memory molecules replaced."

If, however, you lose your memories, you lose one of the primary things that makes you you.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Deeviant
Would it? You said replacement, if the replacement molecules were functioning, then you'd simply have different thoughts..

But memories are very much part of what makes thought possible.

What about the old memory thoughts. How does a molecule know how to pass on information. Molecules are made from atoms and atoms seem to be have a irreducible complexity. So how is information stored and passed on?

Originally posted by Rader
What about the old memory thoughts. How does a molecule know how to pass on information. Molecules are made from atoms and atoms seem to be have a irreducible complexity. So how is information stored and passed on?

A couple things. First we already have a very clear example of how molecule(s) can store information. You are using a device that applies this technology as we speak.

Science does not have to pretend to know the answer, it is okay and infact encouraged to admit what we do not know. The exact physiological process of memory is poorly understood, yet there is a great deal of research currently being conducted on this process. There are also some very informed scientific hypotheses as to the process of human memory. All these hypotheses involve a purely physical process.

Molecules are made from atoms and atoms seem to be have a irreducible complexity.

Atoms seem to be irreducibly complex to who? You? Are you saying anything made from atoms is also irreducible. If I were to write this on paper, these words would be nothing but light reflecting off atoms, would that make these words also irreducible?

I think you have more than a few flaws in your line of thought.

Last edited:

Originally posted by Deeviant
A couple things. First we already have a very clear example of how molecule(s) can store information. You are using a device that applies this technology as we speak.

The fact that something works gives no explanation how it works.

Science does not have to pretend to know the answer, it is okay and infact encouraged to admit what we do not know. The exact physiological process of memory is poorly understood, yet there is a great deal of research currently being conducted on this process. There are also some very informed scientific hypotheses as to the process of human memory. All these hypotheses involve a purely physical process.

And none of them explain how, maybe its because they try to explain it from a purely physical process.

Atoms seem to be irreducibly complex to who? You? Are you saying anything made from atoms is also irreducible. If I were to write this on paper, these words would be nothing but light reflecting off atoms, would that make these words also irreducible?

What i am saying is, tring to explain thought on the atomic scale, as if atoms were objective reality, makes no sence. We divide the brain into smaller and smaller pieces, to reach a correct conlcusion to explain, thought, emotions, consciousness, with no result. We divide matter, molecules, atoms to particles and end up with wave patterns. Is it because everyting seems to be reducible to irreducible wave paterns?

I think you have more than a few flaws in your line of thought.

Is it because nothing is absolutely true. It seems were both perplexed you have not given me anything but more questions.

Related to Exploring Human Thought: Is it Just Neurons or Something Else?

1. What is the current scientific understanding of human thought?

The current scientific understanding is that human thought is a complex process that involves the firing of neurons in the brain. Neurons communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals, forming neural networks that are responsible for various cognitive functions such as perception, memory, and decision-making.

2. Can human thought be reduced to just neurons and their interactions?

While neurons play a crucial role in human thought, it is unlikely that they can fully explain the complexity of our cognitive processes. Other factors, such as environmental and social influences, also play a significant role in shaping our thoughts and behaviors.

3. Are there other theories or explanations for human thought besides neurons?

Yes, there are various theories and perspectives that attempt to explain human thought, such as the cognitive, behavioral, and social-cognitive theories. Some theories also propose the existence of consciousness or the influence of spiritual or metaphysical factors on human thought.

4. How do scientists study human thought?

Scientists use various methods, such as brain imaging techniques (e.g. fMRI, EEG), behavioral experiments, and computer simulations, to study human thought. These methods allow researchers to observe and measure brain activity and behavior, providing valuable insights into the mechanisms of thought.

5. Can we ever fully understand the complexity of human thought?

As humans, our own thoughts and consciousness are incredibly complex, making it challenging to fully understand. However, through ongoing research and advancements in technology, we can continue to deepen our understanding of human thought and its underlying mechanisms.