Exploring Gravitational Waves: Feeling 10cm Distortion at 1LY

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of gravitational waves on a person in a heavily-shielded spaceship near merging black holes. It is estimated that at a distance of one light year, a strategically-placed LIGO Mark II might detect a distortion of 10 cm in a 4 km long interferometer arm. However, in a smaller object like a human body, the induced distortion would be smaller in proportion to its size. The conversation also addresses the question of whether the shift would happen at the speed of light and turn the person into a cloud of atoms, and whether they would experience high acceleration due to the equivalence principle. It is concluded that the effects would likely be within the body's capacity to resist, but the
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Someone has raised an interesting discussion about how one might experience these waves closer to the merging BHs.

(Let's assume we're in a heavily-shielded spaceship that will protect us from all EM radiation and other effects except gravity.)

First, how big?
My back of napkin calculations suggest that, at a distance of one light year, a strategically-placed LIGO Mark II might detect a distortion of as much as 10cm.
(We on Earth are detecting a distortion of 10-19m. LIGO Mark II, at one billionth the distance, the distortion should be a billion billion (1018) times as powerful. So LMII should detect 10-1m distortion?)

Second. If that passed through you, would you simply feel a pull of 10cm, or would the shift happen at the speed of light, and turn you into a cloud of atoms?
By the equivalence principle, would you experience high acceleration? Well, I guess, yes, but one every atom simultaneously.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks. I've actually noticed this discrepancy. In unrelated places, I've been seeing lots of meteorological "gravity wave" pictures and wondering if the term is sloppy. It seems not.

DaveC426913 said:
Someone has raised an interesting discussion about how one might experience these waves closer to the merging BHs.

(Let's assume we're in a heavily-shielded spaceship that will protect us from all EM radiation and other effects except gravity.)

First, how big?
My back of napkin calculations suggest that, at a distance of one light year, a strategically-placed LIGO Mark II might detect a distortion of as much as 10cm.
(We on Earth are detecting a distortion of 10-19m. LIGO Mark II, at one billionth the distance, the distortion should be a billion billion (1018) times as powerful. So LMII should detect 10-1m distortion?)

Second. If that passed through you, would you simply feel a pull of 10cm, or would the shift happen at the speed of light, and turn you into a cloud of atoms?
By the equivalence principle, would you experience high acceleration? Well, I guess, yes, but one every atom simultaneously.

I'm not sure of the relation between strain as measured by Ligo, and effective power (averaged over a cycle) in the gravitational wave. I'm thinking that if h is the strain, the effective power is proportional to ##\left( \frac{dh}{dt} \right)^2##, but I am not at all confident, I don't work with gravitational waves enough. If that is correct though, your estimate is too high.

Maybe we can get someone else to comment.

DaveC426913 said:
at a distance of one light year, a strategically-placed LIGO Mark II might detect a distortion of as much as 10cm.

That's a 10 cm distortion in a 4 km long interferometer arm. (I'm actually not sure about the 10 cm number; see below.) The distortion in a smaller object, like you, would be smaller in proportion to the size of the object. In other words, GWs induce distortions in an object of a certain fraction of the length of the object. The GWs recently detected by LIGO induced fractional distortions in the interferometer arms of about ##10^{-21}## (I think); a LIGO Mark II that was one light-year away from a similar merger would receive fractional distortions 18 orders of magnitude bigger, or about ##10^{-3}##. In a 4 km arm, this would correspond to a length change of a meter or so. But in your body, with a size of order 1 m, the induced distortion would be a millimeter or so from one end of your body to the other.

Actually, even that isn't quite right, because your body's atoms are held together by strong interaction forces, whereas the mirrors at the end of LIGO's arms are not--they are supposed to approximate free motion as closely as possible given that they are at rest in the Earth's gravitational field instead of floating in deep space. So LIGO's arms manifest the effect of GWs entirely as length changes in the arms; whereas your body will manifest most, if not all, of the effect as an increased stress between its atoms--more precisely, as oscillating tensile/compressive stresses in different directions, as the forces between the atoms resist the GWs trying to pull them apart/push them together.

DaveC426913 said:
would the shift happen at the speed of light, and turn you into a cloud of atoms?

My initial guess is that the induced stresses would be well within your body's capacity to resist them; it might feel something like being on one of those carnival rides that shake you in rapidly changing directions.

DaveC426913 said:
By the equivalence principle, would you experience high acceleration?

Tidal gravity, in and of itself, does not cause any proper acceleration; its effects can be seen in the relative motion of objects in free fall. For example, the planned follow-on to LIGO, the LISA space-based interferometer, would have the mirrors at the ends of its arms in free fall, feeling zero acceleration, even when they were responding to GWs. (LIGO's mirrors are obviously not feeling zero acceleration since they are at rest in the Earth's field, as I said above; but the goal is to make sure they feel no additional acceleration over and above that.)

In an object like your body, whose atoms are bound by interaction forces, tidal gravity does cause different parts of the object to feel different accelerations, even if the object's center of mass is in free fall. But I'm not sure how relevant the equivalence principle is to the analysis of this kind of scenario.

PeterDonis said:
in your body, with a size of order 1 m, the induced distortion would be a millimeter or so from one end of your body to the other.
Yeah, I didn't account for the final 10-3 scaling down to a human.

This article uses some different math:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/#ac39ffb4aac3Then again, that is occurring at audible frequencies - meaning between 100 and 10,000 cycles per second.

Your body would ring like a tuning fork!

PeterDonis said:
Actually, even that isn't quite right, because your body's atoms are held together by strong interaction forces, whereas the mirrors at the end of LIGO's arms are not-
While the body may be held together by those forces, that doesn't change the strength of the fluctuations trying to separate them. They would be put under that strain.

DaveC426913 said:
Your body would ring like a tuning fork!

A purely solid object with high tensile strength would, yes. But the human body is not at all like that; it's a big squishy bag of fluid. Imagine shaking a big bag of water at 100 to 10,000 cycles per second with a fractional amplitude of ##10^{-3}##; mainly what would happen is that you would heat it up a bit.

PeterDonis said:
A purely solid object with high tensile strength would, yes. But the human body is not at all like that; it's a big squishy bag of fluid. Imagine shaking a big bag of water at 100 to 10,000 cycles per second with a fractional amplitude of ##10^{-3}##; mainly what would happen is that you would heat it up a bit.
Bad analogy.

Remember, the gravity waves affect every atom virtually simultaneously - more like being put in a microwave oven, wouldn't you say?.

(What power of microwave radiation would be enough to vibrate your atoms with an amplitude of a millimetre??)

DaveC426913 said:
If there were no accretion disks, just black black holes, would there be EM radiation and other effects ?

DaveC426913 said:
(What power of microwave radiation would be enough to vibrate your atoms with an amplitude of a millimetre??)

The atoms don't move by a millimeter; that's the fractional distortion over the length of your whole body. Individual atoms will be distorted (in the absence of restoring forces) by about ##10^{-3}## of their own size, which would be about ##10^{-13}## meter. Separations between neighboring atoms will be distorted (again in the absence of restoring forces) by about ##10^{-3}## of the average separation between neighboring atoms.

PeterDonis said:
Actually, even that isn't quite right, because your body's atoms are held together by strong interaction forces
Just going to nitpick a bit here. This could read the wrong way as it seems to imply that strong interactions are responsible for holding atoms together. Of course, those interactions are electromagnetic, but strong compared to gravity. It is worth pointing out that strong is here just being used as an adjective.

Likes PeterDonis

Related to Exploring Gravitational Waves: Feeling 10cm Distortion at 1LY

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time, caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How do we detect gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are detected using extremely sensitive instruments called interferometers, which measure tiny changes in the distance between two objects due to the passing of a gravitational wave.

3. Why is it significant to feel a 10cm distortion at 1LY?

The detection of a 10cm distortion at 1LY (1 light year) is significant because it demonstrates the incredible sensitivity of our instruments and the ability to detect very small changes in the fabric of space-time caused by distant gravitational waves.

4. Can gravitational waves be used for anything?

Gravitational waves are currently being studied for their potential to provide insights into the physics of the early universe, as well as for their potential applications in fields such as cosmology, astrophysics, and astronomy.

5. Are there different types of gravitational waves?

Yes, there are three types of gravitational waves: continuous, burst, and stochastic. Continuous waves are produced by two objects in orbit around each other, burst waves are produced by a sudden event like a supernova, and stochastic waves are produced by a collection of random events in the universe.