Exploring Graduate Schools for Space Technology Research

In summary, the conversation is about a student majoring in mechanical engineering who plans on obtaining a PhD in graduate school. Their interests lie in fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and applied mathematics, and they are looking for a school that will prepare them for a career in research related to space technology and exploration. Other students offer suggestions such as looking into specific areas within the field and researching labs associated with potential schools. They also mention the possibility of finding a company or school that will provide funding for graduate studies.
JD88
Hi,

I am currently majoring in mechanical engineering and next year after I graduate I plan on going to graduate school to obtain my PhD. My interests are fluid mechanics, heat transfer and applied mathematics. I would really like to go to a school that will prepare me for a career in research involving my interests being applied to space technology and exploration.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about schools and what kind of research can involve my interests and space.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to look into what you want to do. Heat transfer and fluid mechanics are large areas. Look into them and see exactly what you want to do regarding them.

My advice is to look at the labs associated with the schools you are considering online. Most labs have their own webpage which provides more detailed information on the projects they are currently working on. You can also contact the principal investigator for the lab to see what sort of funding he or she has available for graduate students who are admitted. I was a bit lost when I came to grad school in terms of finding a research focus, but I managed to find something that is both interesting and relevant to current problems in industry (which will hopefully lead to a job post-graduation). Hopefully you will do the same!

Good luck!

As a student to a fellow student, my suggestions include:

A: find a company that will pay you to go to school
B: find a school that will pay you to go to school
C: if you are rich, go to the best school you can, something like MIT

(personally I stayed in state and got a graduate research assistantship, I probably wouldn't be going to school if they didnt want to pay me. It all comes down to the good old greenbacks my friend)

Related to Exploring Graduate Schools for Space Technology Research

What is space technology research?

Space technology research involves the study of various technologies and systems used in space exploration, including spacecraft design, propulsion systems, communication systems, and remote sensing equipment. This research is crucial in advancing our understanding and use of space for scientific, commercial, and military purposes.

Why should I pursue a graduate degree in space technology research?

A graduate degree in space technology research can open up many opportunities for a career in the space industry. It can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in a specialized area, making you a valuable asset to organizations and companies involved in space exploration. Additionally, it can also lead to exciting and groundbreaking research opportunities.

What are the key factors to consider when exploring graduate schools for space technology research?

When exploring graduate schools for space technology research, some key factors to consider include the program's curriculum and courses offered, the faculty's expertise and research interests, the availability of research opportunities and facilities, and the school's overall reputation and ranking in the field of space technology research.

What kind of career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in space technology research?

Graduates with a degree in space technology research can pursue careers in various industries, including aerospace and defense, government agencies such as NASA, research institutions, and private companies involved in space exploration. Some common job titles in this field include aerospace engineer, spacecraft systems engineer, mission analyst, and research scientist.

Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are required for graduate studies in space technology research?

While the specific requirements may vary depending on the program and institution, some common skills and qualifications for graduate studies in space technology research include a bachelor's degree in a related field, strong academic background in math and science, research experience, and a passion for space exploration. Some programs may also require GRE scores and letters of recommendation.