Exploring General Relativity: A Beginner's Guide

In summary: Einstein showed that if you have a theory of gravity that is based on the geometry of invariant space-time intervals (GR), then that theory should be the same for all observers, regardless of their location and speed. That's the key idea behind GR: that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their locations and speeds.If you try to do this in terms of Euclidean geometry, you run into trouble. Consider the following scenario: two observers, A and B, are located at two different points in space. Observer A is moving towards observer B, while observer B is moving away from observer A. According to Euclidean geometry, the distance between the
LSMOG
What is general relativity all about. I don't know anything about it. I am an undergrad.

Physics news on Phys.org
LSMOG said:
What is general relativity all about. I don't know anything about it. I am an undergrad.

In its most general context, I would summarise it as being about the relationship between events in spacetime, and how those relationships depend on sources of gravity. By extension, it is also about formulating the laws of physics in such a way that their form remains the same for all observers, regardless of where/when they are in spacetime, and how they move with respect to each other, and to sources of gravity.

But just out of curiosity, I would be interested to hear how others here would choose to summarise GR in simple terms.

LSMOG said:

Well, GR grew out of Einstein's attempts to incorporate gravity into special relativity in a manner that was compatible with experiment, and that's not a bad way of looking at it.

To understand it more fully, first you need to understand special relativity. I'm not sure where you're at at understanding special relativity, the level of understanding of SR that's most helpful for understanding GR is to understand SR as a kind of space-time geometry.

You can regard Euclidean geometry as being the geometry of distances. Straight lines segments are definable as the shortest distance between two points, circles are definable as a set of points a constant distance away from a center point, and angles are definable as the distnace (length) measured along a segment of a circle. So once you have the notion of distance, you have the fundamental motiation for Euclidean geometry, though there are many details yet to fill in.

For special relativity, the analogue to the Euclidian distance is the invariant space-time interval, called the Lorentz interval. You need other concepts as well, but they're all built on this same fundamental base, much as Euclidean geometry is based on distance.

Related to Exploring General Relativity: A Beginner's Guide

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It explains how matter and energy interact with the fabric of space and time, known as spacetime, to create gravity.

2. How is General Relativity different from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity describes gravity as a force between objects with mass, while General Relativity explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

3. What are some real-world applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has been used to accurately predict the orbit of Mercury, the bending of light by massive objects, and the existence of black holes. It also has practical applications in GPS systems and in the study of the early universe.

4. Is it possible to understand General Relativity without a strong background in physics?

While a basic understanding of physics and mathematics is helpful, it is possible to grasp the basic concepts of General Relativity without a strong background in these subjects. This book, "Exploring General Relativity: A Beginner's Guide", is written in an accessible and easy-to-understand manner for those with little to no background in physics.

5. How can I learn more about General Relativity?

There are many resources available for learning more about General Relativity, including books, online courses, and educational videos. It is also helpful to consult with a physicist or attend lectures or workshops on the subject. "Exploring General Relativity: A Beginner's Guide" is a great starting point for understanding this complex theory.