Exploring Fourier Series: An=An*sin() & bn=An*cos()

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation used in Fourier series and how it allows for simplification of trigonometric sums. The individual asks why they can write cosine and sine in a specific form, and it is explained that this is due to Euler's formula. They also mention a property that allows for any two numbers to be written in this way. It is clarified that this notation makes the expressions more simple and can be visualized using a right triangle.
RaduAndrei
Consider the following article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series

At definition, they say that an = An*sin() and bn = An*cos()

So with these notations you can go from a sum having sin and cos to a sum having only sin but with initial phases.

Why can I write an = An*sin() and bn = An*cos() ?
It seems out of the blue.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Substitute the 2nd equation to the first equation.

I know that by substitution we get from one form to another.
But my question is why I can write cos(phi) = a/sqrt(a^2+b^2) and sin(phi) = -b/sqrt(a^2+b^2) ?
I see that by taking cos(phi)^2 + sin(phi)^2 I get 1, so is good.

But why I can write cos(phi) like that? Writing cos(phi) like that, then from cos(phi)^2 + sin(phi)^2 = 1, I get sin(phi). But why I can write cos(phi) in the first place like that?

It is just arbitrary? If I write cos(phi) = a, then I find sin(phi)...then, ok. Is fine.I can see that. But writing as a/sqrt(a^2+b^2), it does not seem so straight-forward. Maybe there is a property that for any two numbers a,b then I can write cos(phi) in that way. I do not know.Going from the trigonometric Fourier sum to the exponential form, we use Euler's formula to write cos() = 1/2(e^+e^) and sin too. So I have Euler's formula here.

Last edited:
Expression like ##A_n \cos \phi_n## only depends on the index ##n##, so there is no harm in writing them in a more simple way such as ##a_n##.
RaduAndrei said:
Maybe there is a property that for any two numbers a,b then I can write cos(phi) in that way.
If you want to picture it that way, you first have to draw a right triangle and define which sides ##a## and ##b## correspond to, and which angle ##\phi## corresponds to.

Aa, ok. Now makes sense. Thanks.

Related to Exploring Fourier Series: An=An*sin() & bn=An*cos()

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components and understand its behavior.

2. How do you calculate the coefficients An and Bn in a Fourier series?

The coefficients An and Bn can be calculated using integration and the orthogonality property of sine and cosine functions. The formula for An is ∫(f(x)*sin(nx))/L dx, and the formula for Bn is ∫(f(x)*cos(nx))/L dx, where L is the period of the function.

3. Can Fourier series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, Fourier series can only be used for periodic functions. For non-periodic functions, we use Fourier transforms, which extend the concept of Fourier series to non-periodic functions.

4. What is the significance of the coefficients An and Bn in a Fourier series?

The coefficients An and Bn represent the amplitude and phase of the sine and cosine functions that make up the Fourier series. They provide information about the frequency components present in the original function.

5. How is Fourier series used in science and engineering?

Fourier series has many applications in science and engineering, such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and solving differential equations. It allows us to analyze and manipulate complex functions and understand their underlying patterns and components.