Exploring Electric Fields from a Charge Distribution

In summary, the x-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis where x>a is given by \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{a+r}\right) and the magnitude of the force that the charge distribution Q exerts on q is given by F = q \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{a+r}\right).
Mdhiggenz
1. Homework Statement [/b]

Positive charge Q is distributed uniformly along the x-axis from x=0 to x=a. A positive point

charge q is located on the positive x-axis at x=a+r , a distance to the right of the end of Q.

Observe the figure below
1ifojm.jpg

My goal is to try to explain the problem to make sure I understand it since a similar one will be on my exam, and also get some questions that I don't understand addressed. (:

1. Calculate the x-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis where x>a.

[itex]\lambda[/itex]= [itex]\stackrel{Q}{a}[/itex]

dQ=[itex]\-lambda[/itex] dx (I don't know why lambda is negative)

dq=-[itex]\stackrel{Q}{A}[/itex]

First things First I know that the distance of Q is a and the distance from Q to a test point q+ is = a+r which the problem statement sets to x for simplicity.

-[itex]\aintx[/itex] [itex]\stackrel{Q}{a}[/itex]dx

Here is where I get confused I don't understand why the insert [itex]\stackrel{k}{x^2}[/itex]
not including the point charge q?

after that it is just simple integrals and algebra.

Ultimately getting an answer of [itex]\stackrel{Qk}{a}[/itex]([itex]\stackrel{1}{a}[/itex]-[itex]\stackrel{1}{a+r}[/itex])

2. Calculate the magnitude of the force that the charge distribution that Q exerts on q.

Here I'm also confused isn't the answer just a simplified version of part 1?

[itex]\stackrel{kQa}{r(a+r)}[/itex]

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
2. Homework EquationsE = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{q}{r^2}F = qE3. The Attempt at a Solution1. Calculate the x-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis where x>a.\lambda= \stackrel{Q}{a}dQ=\-lambda dx (I don't know why lambda is negative)dq=-\stackrel{Q}{A}The electric field at any point along the x-axis due to the charge distribution Q is given by:E_{x} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \int_{0}^{a} \frac{\lambda}{(x-a)^2} dxWhere \lambda is the linear charge density, i.e. the charge per unit length of the line charge.Therefore, the x-component of the electric field produced by the charge distribution Q at points on the positive x-axis where x>a is:E_{x} = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{a+r}\right)2. Calculate the magnitude of the force that the charge distribution that Q exerts on q.The magnitude of the force exerted on q by the charge distribution Q is given by:F = qEWhere q is the charge on q and E is the electric field at the position of q due to the charge distribution Q.Therefore, the magnitude of the force that the charge distribution Q exerts on q is:F = q \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \left(\frac{1}{a} - \frac{1}{a+r}\right)

Related to Exploring Electric Fields from a Charge Distribution

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds a charged particle or object and exerts a force on other charged particles or objects within its vicinity. It is represented by arrows that point in the direction of the force that would be experienced by a positive test charge placed in the field.

2. How is an electric field created by a charge distribution?

An electric field is created by a charge distribution when charged particles are present in a certain area. The electric field is strongest near the charged particles and decreases in strength as distance from the particles increases. The overall electric field is a combination of the individual fields created by each charged particle in the distribution.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a physical field that exerts a force on charged particles, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. In other words, electric potential describes the potential energy possessed by a charged particle at a certain point in an electric field, while electric field describes the force experienced by a charged particle at that same point.

4. How do you calculate the strength of an electric field from a charge distribution?

The strength of an electric field from a charge distribution can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the particle creating the field, and r is the distance from the particle to the point at which the field is being measured. To calculate the overall electric field at a point, the electric field contributions from each charged particle in the distribution must be added together using vector addition.

5. What are some real-world applications of exploring electric fields from a charge distribution?

Exploring electric fields from a charge distribution has many real-world applications, such as in electronic devices, power generation and transmission, and medical imaging. Understanding and manipulating electric fields is also crucial in fields such as telecommunications, particle accelerators, and materials science. Additionally, studying electric fields can help us better understand the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with each other and their surroundings.