Exploring Einstein's Gravity Theory: A Historical Perspective

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravity and how it is explained in Einstein's theory of relativity. It is based on the idea that acceleration and gravity are equivalent, and this is further explained through the concept of spacetime and the warping of this dimension by matter. The conversation also mentions the equivalence principle and recommends further reading on the topic.
Nickelodeon
Just wondered if the following extract is historically correct ...

Einstein's and now main stream's current gravity theory is based on the belief that if you were accelerating in a spacecraft you wouldn't be able to distinguish between this experience and that of gravity. It was then decided that acceleration and gravity were the same. The next challenge was to explain how we could be accelerating upwards with 1g without apparently moving and even more of a challenge to explain why two masses tend to move together.
For acceleration, you need a spatial component and a time component hence the evolution of the idea of 'spacetime', a bundling of these two dependent dimensions together. Gravity is explained as a natural property of matter which has the ability to warp or distort this 'spacetime'. The passage of time varies the closer you get to a gravity source and the geometry of the spatial component changes whereby our idea of a straight line becomes more and more curved.

Is this ok?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein's and now main stream's current gravity theory is based on the belief that if you were accelerating in a spacecraft you wouldn't be able to distinguish between this experience and that of gravity. It was then decided that acceleration and gravity were the same.

Yes, at least as far as I have quoted...The above seems to match what I have read in various accounts...You can read Einstein's own version in RELATIVITY, at http://www.bartleby.com/173/

One of the difficulties is that likely Einstein's own descriptions and certainly that of many of the scientists of his time almost certainy varied as the features of relativity were unraveled and understanding improved.

You can also investate further via researching the "equivalence principle"...here is one version...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalence_principle

Last edited:
Naty1 said:
Yes, at least as far as I have quoted...The above seems to match what I have read in various accounts...You can read Einstein's own version in RELATIVITY, at http://www.bartleby.com/173/

Thanks for that great link. It's good to get it straight from the horses mouth rather than by chinese whispers.

Book recommendations ? ... I know some pieces of general relativity and I can accept them. But I want to try to understand the formula. As an amature but with some math background, I like to have books with exact equations and example solved problems. Can anyone like to recommend books ?

Last edited:

Related to Exploring Einstein's Gravity Theory: A Historical Perspective

What is Einstein's theory of gravity?

Einstein's theory of gravity, also known as the theory of general relativity, is a mathematical description of how gravity works in the universe. It states that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

How did Einstein develop this theory?

Einstein developed his theory of gravity through a series of thought experiments and mathematical calculations. He was inspired by the work of other physicists, such as Isaac Newton and James Clerk Maxwell, and also drew on his own insights and observations.

What impact did Einstein's theory have on our understanding of gravity?

Einstein's theory revolutionized our understanding of gravity. It provided a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of how gravity works and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. It also led to new insights into the nature of space and time.

How has Einstein's theory been tested and confirmed?

Einstein's theory of gravity has been tested and confirmed through a variety of experiments and observations, including the famous bending of starlight during a solar eclipse, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the detection of gravitational waves. These observations have all been found to be consistent with the predictions of general relativity.

What are some practical applications of Einstein's theory of gravity?

Einstein's theory of gravity has numerous practical applications, including the precise calculation of satellite orbits and the GPS system, the development of techniques for studying astronomical objects and phenomena, and the understanding of black holes and their role in the evolution of galaxies.