Exploring CDF: Understanding Sample Distribution and Its Formula

• Thread starter sneaky666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cdf
CDF) is a function that maps a value to the probability of obtaining a value equal to or less than that value from a random variable. In this problem, we are dealing with a sample of n values from a distribution with CDF F. The notation X(n) represents the nth value in the sample.In summary, the problem asks us to show that the CDF for the ith value in the sample, Fx(i)(x), can be expressed as a function of the CDF for the first value in the sample, Fx(1)(x), and the number of values in the sample, n. The solution involves using properties of the CDF and simplifying the expression to show that Fx(i)(x) =
sneaky666
X1,X2,...,Xn is a sample from a distribution with cdf F. Show
FX(i)(x)= [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\stackrel{n}{j=i}[/tex] ([tex]\stackrel{n}{j}[/tex]) Fj(x)(1-F(x))(n-j)

How would I start on this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Fx(n)(x) = Px(n)(X(n)<=x)
Fx(n)(x) = Px1...xn(max{x1,...xn}<=x)
Fx(n)(x) = Px1...xn(x1<=x,...,xn<=x)
Fx(n)(x) = Px1(x1<=x)*...*Pxn(xn<=x)
Fx(n)(x) = Fx1(x)*...*Fxn(x)
Fx(n)(x) = Fx1(x)*...*Fxi(x)*...*Fxn(x)
Fx(n)(x) = Fx1(x)*...*Fx(n-1)(x)*Fxi(x)
Fxi(x) = Fx(n)(x) / Fx1(x)*...*Fx(n-1)(x)
Fxi(x) = (Fx(1)(x))n / (Fx(1)(x))(n-1)
Fxi(x) = Fx(1)(x)

not sure where to go from here...

Last edited:
You might get more responses if you say what the notation X(n) means. Others might be familiar with the notation, but I have no clue what the problem is about.

sneaky666 said:
X1,X2,...,Xn is a sample from a distribution with cdf F. Show
FX(i)(x)= [tex]\sum[/tex][tex]\stackrel{n}{j=i}[/tex] ([tex]\stackrel{n}{j}[/tex]) Fj(x)(1-F(x))(n-j)

How would I start on this?

example of what X(n) means

X1=0.5 X(1) = 0.1 (so it is increasing...)
X2=0.7 X(2) = 0.2
x3=0.96 X(3) = 0.45
x4=0.45 X(4) = 0.5
x5=0.2 X(5) = 0.7
x6=0.1 X(6) = 0.96

Fx(n)(X) = Px(n)(Xn<=X)

so a cumulative distribution function

Related to Exploring CDF: Understanding Sample Distribution and Its Formula

1. What is a cdf?

A cdf, or cumulative distribution function, is a statistical function that shows the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a certain value. In other words, it maps out the cumulative probability distribution of a random variable.

2. How is a cdf different from a pdf?

A pdf, or probability density function, gives the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values. A cdf, on the other hand, gives the probability of the random variable being less than or equal to a certain value. In other words, a cdf is the integral of the pdf.

3. How do you calculate a cdf?

To calculate the cdf, you need to integrate the pdf function over the desired range of values. It is also possible to use a table or graph to estimate the cdf. In some cases, the cdf may have a closed-form expression that can be calculated directly.

4. What is the use of a cdf in statistics?

The cdf is useful in determining the likelihood of a certain outcome in a probability distribution. It can also be used to calculate percentiles, which are useful in understanding the spread of data and making comparisons between different datasets.

5. Can a cdf be used for non-parametric distributions?

Yes, a cdf can be used for any probability distribution, including non-parametric distributions. In these cases, the cdf is typically estimated using techniques such as the empirical cdf, which uses the actual data points to estimate the cdf.