Exploring Career Options for a Third-Year College Student

In summary: I'm not sure about other programs, but DigiPen offers a great deal for the cost of tuition, room and board, and there are plenty of career opportunities after graduation.In summary, the person is researching a potential career in design of physics engines for simulators and video games. They are interested in something more lucrative, and want to know what fields are best suited for them. They are interested in contacting or touring some graduate schools.
Azmodan
Hey there...

I've been lurking around these forums for about a year now and although I'm not majoring in physics, I figured you guys would still give me some input as to what types of fields I may be interested in pursuing. I guess you could consider this my job research phase of my college career? Anyway, I was thinking about designing physics engines for simulators and/or video games. I was also interested in something more lucrative, like power systems or medical physics. Or maybe I should just settle for your basic contract job you find on monster.com? I don't know...

A little about me: I'd consider myself a junior in my EE program at my university and I thought I knew exactly what field I wanted to pursue - that being communications - but I'm just not interested in it anymore. I love mathematics and physics with a passion, but that love pales in comparison to my love for art and design. It doesn't really matter what I'm designing, as long as I'm designing something that will have an impact on society - which kind of goes without saying. That's why I was thinking medical physics or power systems. Also, I'm an avid video gamer and I thought working for a game production team would be really cool, as well.

But like I said, I don't know... Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
Diablo art designer

Here's a link of graduate video game design schools:

http://www.princetonreview.com/top-graduate-schools-for-video-game-design.aspx

You could contact (or even tour) some of those schools and talk to people in the department about what they look for in candidates.

In my area (Seattle), DigiPen Institute is well-regarded. I'd be careful of other private art design schools - many cost way, way too much and over-promise job prospects.

Related to Exploring Career Options for a Third-Year College Student

1. How do I know if I'm really lost in my third year of college?

Feeling lost in your third year of college is a common experience among students. You may feel unsure about your major, overwhelmed by coursework, or unsure about your future goals. It's important to acknowledge these feelings and seek support from your academic advisor or counseling center.

2. What should I do if I feel lost in my third year of college?

If you're feeling lost in your third year of college, it's important to take action. Start by talking to your academic advisor about your concerns and exploring different academic and career options. Consider joining clubs and organizations related to your interests to help you find your passion. Seeking support from a counselor can also be beneficial in addressing any underlying personal or mental health issues.

3. Is it normal to feel lost in my third year of college?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel lost in your third year of college. This is a time of transition and self-discovery, and it's common to question your choices and future plans. Remember that you are not alone in feeling this way and there are resources available to help you navigate this stage of your college journey.

4. Will feeling lost in my third year of college affect my academic performance?

Feeling lost in your third year of college can certainly impact your academic performance. It's important to address these feelings and seek support so that you can stay on track with your coursework and maintain good grades. Don't be afraid to reach out to your professors for help or to discuss any challenges you may be facing.

5. How can I get back on track if I'm lost in my third year of college?

To get back on track if you're feeling lost in your third year of college, it's important to set goals and create a plan. Talk to your academic advisor about your academic progress and what steps you can take to get back on track. Consider seeking support from a counselor to address any underlying issues that may be contributing to your feelings of being lost. And most importantly, be patient and kind to yourself as you navigate this challenging time.