Exploring Aruba: My Two Week Taxpayer-Funded Adventure

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
In summary: He said I should be careful of not getting too much sun, not getting too much exercise, not getting too much excitement.In summary, some people go to Aruba while others have Aruba thrust upon them. Saturday morning, a person is off to Aruba for a two week taxpayer funded all-expenses paid tour of One Happy Island. They plan to investigate the sturdiness of beach chairs and bring along books on QM, QFT, and a novel "Dune Messiah". The locals speak a creole called Papiamento and the person is only familiar with the phrase "Bom Dia". They plan to concentrate on the young ladies wearing bikinis that violate the laws of physics and are not interested in the party bus known as
Jimmy Snyder
Some people go to Aruba while others have Aruba thrust upon them. Whatever that means. Saturday morning I am off to Aruba for a two week taxpayer funded all-expenses paid tour of One Happy Island. Check out the scratch marks on the airport tarmac made by my fingernails as they dragged me back onto the airplane last year. This time I will investigate the sturdiness of beach chairs. I am bringing some books with me, one on QM, two on QFT, and a novel "Dune Messiah". I hope to meet you there. If not, please keep the snow off the sidewalks for me while I'm gone.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cooku-Canooko (or however it's spelled)

Hmm sunny beaches, cabana boys, drinks with umbrellas, coconut smelling suntan oils, beach chairs! Sounds like I may be a bit jealous. Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Cool, what QFT books are you bringing?

FredGarvin said:
Cooku-Canooko (or however it's spelled)
The locals speak a creole called Papiamento. I have never taken it upon myself to learn any of it except Bom Dia meaning good day. If you speak Spanish or Portuguese then you should be ok for most things since those are two languages in the creole. I have no idea what you said.

waht said:
Cool, what QFT books are you bringing?
A Primer of QM by Marvin Chester.
QFT by Franz Mandl and Graham Shaw
A Pedestrian Approach to QFT by Edward Grant Harris

hypatia said:
Hmm sunny beaches, cabana boys, drinks with umbrellas, coconut smelling suntan oils, beach chairs! Sounds like I may be a bit jealous. Hope you have a wonderful trip.
I'll concentrate on the young ladies wearing bikinis that violate the laws of physics. You can have the cabana boys.

Have fun, Jimmy! I just spent 2 hours moving white stuff (no, not coke) and I could stand some beach-time.

kuku kanuku?

Gokul43201 said:
kuku kanuku?
That's the name of a party bus. As I understand it, you pay $googolplex to get on the bus in the early evening. They serve you inedible food and watered down water and there's a DJ who encourages the guests to play-act lewd sequences. I'll pass. But the phrase must mean something. Perhaps it's Papiamento for 'you pay ... sequences'.

I thought for a second you were tied up with a french letter, have a nice time jimmy.

wolram said:
I thought for a second you were tied up with a french letter, have a nice time jimmy.
:smile: That took a while. First I had to google french letter and then I had to think "what does he mean". I had in mind an Abbot and Costello movie "Road to Morocco" where they sing "Just like Webster's dictionary, we're Morocco bound."

jimmysnyder said:
That's the name of a party bus. As I understand it, you pay $googolplex to get on the bus in the early evening. They serve you inedible food and watered down water and there's a DJ who encourages the guests to play-act lewd sequences. I'll pass. But the phrase must mean something. Perhaps it's Papiamento for 'you pay ... sequences'.
It wasn't quite that bad when we did it. It is, essentially, a sanctioned bar crawl with a "decent" meal at the beginning and provided transportation. Granted, I got tired of the having to act like a party idiot while on the bus so everyone could see how much of a good time you were having. It was a good way to see some bars that we wouldn't have found other wise. I could think of worse ways to spend a few hours at night.

jimmysnyder said:
I'll concentrate on the young ladies wearing bikinis that violate the laws of physics. You can have the cabana boys.

Oh thank you, I've always wanted a cabana boy !

I got to Aruba in the middle of a warm snap. I like 82 degree weather, but unfortunately, it was 83. Balmy-force winds made it feel like 82[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] so it wasn't all that bad. I submitted my official report which I repeat here in full: The beach chairs were good. I brought a library copy of Mandl and Shaw with me and I liked it so much, I bought a copy from Amazon this morning. Although I have been going to Aruba every year for the past 4, next year I plan to go to Rio.

You are a mean person jimmy. :devil:

That's ok, I like sub freezing temperatures.

jimmysnyder said:
I got to Aruba in the middle of a warm snap. I like 82 degree weather, but unfortunately, it was 83. Balmy-force winds made it feel like 82[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] so it wasn't all that bad. I submitted my official report which I repeat here in full: The beach chairs were good. I brought a library copy of Mandl and Shaw with me and I liked it so much, I bought a copy from Amazon this morning. Although I have been going to Aruba every year for the past 4, next year I plan to go to Rio.
Ah, Rio! Are the ladies still favoring dental-floss thong bikinis there, or are you just going for the healthful waters?

Welcome home, glad you had a safe trip.

turbo-1 said:
Ah, Rio! Are the ladies still favoring dental-floss thong bikinis there, or are you just going for the healthful waters?
Doctor's orders. He said I need a week of quiet rest and relaxation.

Related to Exploring Aruba: My Two Week Taxpayer-Funded Adventure

1. What was the purpose of your two-week taxpayer-funded adventure in Aruba?

The purpose of my two-week taxpayer-funded adventure in Aruba was to conduct research on the island's unique ecosystem and gather data for my ongoing scientific studies.

2. What specific areas of Aruba did you explore during your trip?

During my trip, I explored various areas of Aruba, including its diverse landscapes such as the Arikok National Park, the beaches, and the capital city of Oranjestad. I also visited several local communities to learn about the island's culture and traditions.

3. What were some of the most interesting findings or discoveries from your research in Aruba?

One of the most interesting findings from my research in Aruba was the presence of several endemic plant and animal species that are only found on the island. I also discovered the impact of tourism on the island's environment and the efforts being made to preserve its natural resources.

4. How did you ensure the responsible use of taxpayer funds during your trip?

I followed strict guidelines and protocols set by my institution and funding agency to ensure the responsible use of taxpayer funds during my trip. This included budgeting and tracking expenses, obtaining necessary permits and approvals, and providing detailed reports on my activities and findings.

5. How will your research and findings from Aruba contribute to the scientific community?

My research and findings from Aruba will contribute to the scientific community by adding to the understanding of the island's unique ecosystem and its vulnerability to human activities. The data collected will also be used to inform conservation efforts and management strategies for sustainable development in the region.