Explore Sunlit Subjects with Chiaroscuro Lighting

• Thread starter Andre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lighting
In summary, it seems that the subject of the photo contest is "the nicest picture of any brightly lit subject against a dark background." However, it seems that one does not need professional photography lighting rigs in order to produce Rembrandt lighting. It seems that one should select one of the two pictures that they like, but that is just their opinion. None of the pictures in the contest show Rembrandt lighting in any way. It seems that this is just another way for one to try and increase their odds of winning the contest.
Andre
In the new photo contest the subject is

Chiaroscuro (italian) is a term in art for a contrast between light and dark. An another form is Rembrandt lighting. So this week, it is about the nicest picture of any brightly lit subject against a dark background.

So that elicited this comment:

junglebeast said:
Rembrandt lighting, eh? So photo tweaking is not allowed, but professional photography lighting rigs are recommended for entry?

So I like to answer to that with a few examples of Rembrandt lighting with an unprofessional onmipresent lighting rig, the sun. Now which one should I select?

23veqh4.jpg

34g7xg1.jpg

jpc3md.jpg

ejd7og.jpg

15gqbzq.jpg

(ok this one required a modest fill in flash)

10dijqt.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Andre said:
In the new photo contest the subject is

So that elicited this comment:

So I like to answer to that with a few examples of Rembrandt lighting with an unprofessional onmipresent lighting rig, the sun. Now which one should I select?

23veqh4.jpg

34g7xg1.jpg

jpc3md.jpg

ejd7og.jpg

15gqbzq.jpg

(ok this one required a modest fill in flash)

10dijqt.jpg

I think the dandelion picture is gorgeous.. I'd vote for that one. Good quality, good composition.

I like the squirrel monkey too though haha But that's just because I like them :) The lighting is really good on the fur too.. it's a great pic.

So I'd say one of those two.. but that's just my 2 cents

None of these pictures shows Rembrandt lighting in any way -- Rembrandt lighting requires a human face.

It seems that you're just trying to pre-select your competition photo to increase your own odds of winning...

- Warren

The question was not Rembrandt lighting but:

the nicest picture of any brightly lit subject against a dark background.

But the message is clear. I will not enter anything in the contest.

Andre said:
The question was not Rembrandt lighting but

I'm just pointing out that you posted a few examples of Rembrandt lighting, yet none of your pictures show Rembrandt lighting.

For the record, you don't need professional lighting equipment to produce Rembrandt lighting. All you need to do is drape a bed sheet over a window and spend a few minutes posing your subject.

- Warren

Rembrandt lighting:

"The key light is placed high and to one side at the front, and the fill light or a reflector is placed half-height and on the other side at the front, set to about half the power of the key light, with the subject, if facing at an angle to the camera, with the key light illuminating the far side of the face. The key in Rembrandt lighting is creating the triangle or diamond shape of light underneath the eye...The triangle should be no longer than the nose and no wider than the eye"

I have a really cool picture of myself using Rembrandt lighting, but it was taken professionally and is not something I could emulate without having the reflector and lighting rigs.

And Andre -- stop taking things so seriously.

chroot said:
...Rembrandt lighting requires a human face.

Like this?

rembrandt007.jpg

source

Now where is the bedsheet over the window here?

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make as that Rembrandt painting is clearly not an example of Rembrandt lighting.

Rembrandt did not always use "Rembrandt lighting" in his paintings. Rembrandt lighting is a style of portraiture -- of the human face -- which Rembrandt often employed.

It is defined by the high key light and the resulting triangle of light on the opposite cheek.

Your own link to Wikipedia explains it well. Have you read it?

- Warren

chroot said:
Rembrandt did not always use "Rembrandt lighting" in his paintings. Rembrandt lighting is a style of portraiture -- of the human face -- which Rembrandt often employed.

It is defined by the high key light and the resulting triangle of light on the opposite cheek.

Your own link to Wikipedia explains it well. Have you read it?

- Warren

Rembrandt is known for his USE OF LIGHT in paintings. Not for 'Rembrandt lighting', that came after as an effect used in portraits... they named it after him because this style makes objects seem very deep and and natural by using light, which he was a master of. Regardless this form of lighting is done in portraits. Chiaroscuro however is just a style which uses contrasts of light/dark in any type of image.

Know all of this from taking 4 years of visual art courses and 2 art history courses :P

How can you make a war out of nothing. :frown:

junglebeast said:
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make as that Rembrandt painting is clearly not an example of Rembrandt lighting.

So how about your entry in the contest?

Andre said:
So how about your entry in the contest?

What about it? The topic said Chiaroscuro, not Rembrandt lighting.

Also, what about this?

And Andre -- stop taking things so seriously.

This game is only getting less fun due to all the bickering and nonsensical rules.

Related to Explore Sunlit Subjects with Chiaroscuro Lighting

1. What is Chiaroscuro lighting?

Chiaroscuro lighting is a lighting technique commonly used in art and photography to create a contrast between light and dark areas in a composition. It involves using a single light source to create a dramatic and dramatic effect.

2. How does Chiaroscuro lighting enhance a subject?

Chiaroscuro lighting can enhance a subject by creating depth and dimension, as well as adding a sense of drama and mood to the composition. It can also draw attention to specific areas of the subject and create a sense of mystery or intrigue.

3. What types of subjects work well with Chiaroscuro lighting?

Chiaroscuro lighting can work well with a variety of subjects, including portraits, still life, and landscapes. It is particularly effective with subjects that have interesting textures or strong lines and shapes.

4. What equipment is needed for Chiaroscuro lighting?

The main equipment needed for Chiaroscuro lighting is a single light source, such as a spotlight or strobe light, and a reflector or diffuser to control the intensity and direction of the light. Other equipment, such as backdrops and props, can also be used to enhance the overall effect.

5. What are some tips for creating effective Chiaroscuro lighting?

Some tips for creating effective Chiaroscuro lighting include experimenting with different angles and distances of the light source, using a reflector or diffuser to control the light, and incorporating shadows and highlights to add depth and drama to the composition. It is also important to pay attention to the placement and positioning of the subject to achieve the desired effect.