Exploiting a the inverse to determine eigen vectors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using matrix A and its inverse A^{-1} to calculate the eigen vectors/values of A in a more efficient way. The speaker has an unusual matrix with unknown symmetries that become apparent when rewritten in block form. They have searched for ways to exploit these symmetries but have not found any suitable methods, and plan to use the inverse to calculate the eigen values and vectors.
Jonnyb302
Hello, this is related to my research on RCW(FMM) analysis of light shone onto crossed gratings.

main question: can you exploit having matrix A and its inverse A^{-1} to calculate the eigen vectors/values of A in a more effective way?

backgroud:
so my problem is this: I have an unusual matrix with some strange symmetries and I need its eigen vectors. Only when I rewrite it in block form, do these symmetries become apparent. I would post it here but I am not at home so I do not have my saved LaTeX document with useful macros. But the symmetries have no real name, and most people will not be familiar with them.

I have searched quite a bit on the internet and can not find a way to exploit these block matrix symmetries. QR routines do not seem to go well with block matrices. While LU routines might.

However, I think I could devise a scheme to more efficiently calculate the inverse given these symmetries. Hence I am hopping to calculate the inverse, then exploit it to calculate the eigen values and vectors.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question for the eigenvalues of ##A## or of ##A^{-1}## is essentially the same, so you will not have additional useful information.

Related to Exploiting a the inverse to determine eigen vectors?

1. What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in the identity matrix. It is denoted by A-1 and only exists for square matrices.

2. How is the inverse used to determine eigen vectors?

The inverse of a matrix can be used to find the eigen vectors by multiplying it with the original matrix and setting the resulting equation equal to 0. The non-zero solutions to this equation are the eigen vectors.

3. Can any matrix have an inverse?

No, only square matrices with non-zero determinants have an inverse. Matrices with a determinant of 0 are singular and do not have an inverse.

4. What is the relationship between eigen vectors and eigen values?

Eigen vectors are the corresponding vectors to the eigen values of a matrix. These eigen values represent the scaling factor for the eigen vector when multiplied by the original matrix.

5. How is exploiting the inverse useful in real-world applications?

Exploiting the inverse to determine eigen vectors is useful in various fields such as data analysis, machine learning, and engineering. It allows for efficient and accurate computation of eigen vectors, which can provide valuable insights and solutions to real-world problems.