Exploding shell at the top of its trajectory

In summary, when a shell explodes at the top of its trajectory, the fragments experience an acceleration equal to g in the downward direction, assuming no air resistance. The lack of an x-component of acceleration can be explained by the constant velocity of the shell in the x-direction and the assumption that the explosion does not affect this velocity.
johnhuntsman
"After a shell explodes at the top of its trajectory, the center of gravity of the fragments has an acceleration, in the absence of air resistance, equal to g and downward."

Why isn't there an x-component?

I get why there would be a downward component with a = g, but shouldn't there at least be an increase in acceleration in the x dimension? Does it not have an acceleration in the x direction just because it's traveling at a constant velocity in the x direction (i.e., does it assume the explosion doesn't affect velocity in the x direction, albeit momentarily)?

Physics news on Phys.org
1/ it was fired straight upwards

2/ shaped charge setup to fire straight downwards

TBH it sounds like a really stupid question. If it "explodes" some portion of the fragments will expand outwards in all directions ...

d3mm said:
1/ it was fired straight upwards

2/ shaped charge setup to fire straight downwards

TBH it sounds like a really stupid question. If it "explodes" some portion of the fragments will expand outwards in all directions ...

Ah. My bad. I was assuming for some reason that it wasn't fired straight up. And yeah, I just wish it said split or something rather than "explodes". Anyway, I appreciate the help : D

Related to Exploding shell at the top of its trajectory

What is an exploding shell at the top of its trajectory?

An exploding shell at the top of its trajectory refers to a projectile, usually fired from a cannon or other weapon, that has reached its highest point and then detonates or explodes.

How does an exploding shell at the top of its trajectory work?

An exploding shell at the top of its trajectory works by using gunpowder or other explosives to propel the projectile upwards and then detonating it at its highest point. This creates a destructive force that can be used in warfare or other applications.

What are the dangers of an exploding shell at the top of its trajectory?

The dangers of an exploding shell at the top of its trajectory include potential injury or death to anyone in the vicinity of the explosion, as well as damage to surrounding structures or objects.

How is an exploding shell at the top of its trajectory used in warfare?

An exploding shell at the top of its trajectory has been used in warfare for centuries as a way to cause damage to enemy forces or structures. It can also be used for defensive purposes, such as creating a barrier or obstruction for incoming attackers.

What safety measures are taken when using an exploding shell at the top of its trajectory?

When using an exploding shell at the top of its trajectory, safety measures should be taken to ensure the well-being of those involved. This may include proper training, protective gear, and following strict protocols for handling and detonating the explosive material.