Explanation of a failed approach to relativize Schrodinger equation

In summary: The continuity equation implies that the charge cannot change with time, if we define charge as a conserved quantity. Hence we conclude that the field associated with the Klein Gordon equation is indeed a charged field.In summary, the Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions, particles with half-integer spin. It is an extension of the Schrödinger equation and satisfies a continuity equation for probability current and density. However, in order to maintain the notion of a convected density, the expression for density and current must be generalized in a relativistically covariant manner. This leads to the 4th component of a space-time vector for the density and a corresponding relativistic expression for the current. However,
nacadaryo
I'm reading the Wikipedia page for the Dirac equation
[itex]\rho=\phi^*\phi\,[/itex]

[itex]J = -\frac{i\hbar}{2m}(\phi^*\nabla\phi - \phi\nabla\phi^*)[/itex]

with the conservation of probability current and density following from the Schrödinger equation:

[itex]\nabla\cdot J + \frac{\partial\rho}{\partial t} = 0.[/itex]

The fact that the density is positive definite and convected according to this continuity equation, implies that we may integrate the density over a certain domain and set the total to 1, and this condition will be maintained by the conservation law. A proper relativistic theory with a probability density current must also share this feature. Now, if we wish to maintain the notion of a convected density, then we must generalize the Schrödinger expression of the density and current so that the space and time derivatives again enter symmetrically in relation to the scalar wave function. We are allowed to keep the Schrödinger expression for the current, but must replace by probability density by the symmetrically formed expression

[itex]\rho = \frac{i\hbar}{2m}(\psi^*\partial_t\psi - \psi\partial_t\psi^*).[/itex]

which now becomes the 4th component of a space-time vector, and the entire 4-current density has the relativistically covariant expression

[itex]J^\mu = \frac{i\hbar}{2m}(\psi^*\partial^\mu\psi - \psi\partial^\mu\psi^*)[/itex]

The continuity equation is as before. Everything is compatible with relativity now, but we see immediately that the expression for the density is no longer positive definite - the initial values of both ψ and [itex]∂_t ψ[/itex] may be freely chosen, and the density may thus become negative, something that is impossible for a legitimate probability density. Thus we cannot get a simple generalization of the Schrödinger equation under the naive assumption that the wave function is a relativistic scalar, and the equation it satisfies, second order in time.

I am not sure how one gets a new [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]J^\mu[/itex]. How does one do to derive these two? And can anyone show me why the expression for density not positive definite?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think those formulas are guessed, and it can be shown that they satisfy the relevant equations afterwards. As you can see from the nonrelativistic probability flow, it is nothing completely new...

And can anyone show me why the expression for density not positive definite?
Consider a function ##\psi## where ##\rho>0## and look at ##\psi^*##.
##\rho(\psi)=-\rho(\psi^*)##

Take ψ to be a plane wave, ψ(x,t) = ei(k·x - ωt), which will be a solution provided ω2 = k2 + m2. For this solution, ρ = ħω/m, obviously positive/negative whenever ω is positve/negative. For the general solution which is a superposition of plane waves, ρ is an integral over the positive frequency solutions minus an integral over the negative frequency ones.

According to the continuity equation, Q = ∫ρ d3x is a conserved quantity. Although the 'derivation' of this usually consists of simply writing it down, its existence is no accident. For a complex scalar field, Q represents the total charge. 'Charge' can mean either the ordinary electric charge or some other charge such as strangeness.

Related to Explanation of a failed approach to relativize Schrodinger equation

What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the wave function of a physical system evolves over time. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to predict the behavior of particles at a small scale.

What does it mean to relativize the Schrodinger equation?

Relativizing the Schrodinger equation means incorporating the principles of special relativity into the equation. This is important when studying particles that travel at speeds close to the speed of light, as the effects of relativity must be taken into account.

Why is it important to relativize the Schrodinger equation?

Relativizing the Schrodinger equation allows for a more accurate description of particles at high speeds. Without incorporating relativity, the equation would not account for important factors such as time dilation and length contraction, leading to incorrect predictions.

What does it mean for an approach to relativize the Schrodinger equation to fail?

A failed approach to relativize the Schrodinger equation means that the method used to incorporate relativity into the equation did not produce accurate results. This could be due to various factors such as incorrect assumptions or mathematical errors.

What are some potential consequences of a failed approach to relativize the Schrodinger equation?

A failed approach to relativize the Schrodinger equation could lead to incorrect predictions and a lack of understanding of how particles behave at high speeds. This could hinder advancements in various fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.