Explaining Windows Memory Paging and Allocation

In summary, the reason for Windows using swap/pagefile even when there is free RAM is because swapping out memory is faster than getting it back in the future. This allows for more efficient management of memory usage. However, it does not use the entire physical memory space and tends to keep a portion of it free, which is due to the fact that Windows will swap out infrequently used data when it is idle. This is a clever approach but relies on an effective page replacement algorithm.
martix
I have wondered for quite a while why memory allocation and paging in Windows seems to be so weird and doesn't want to use memory to the fullest.
For example even when there is a lot of free physical memory, there are sections that are paged out.
And then - physical memory never seems to fill up totally.

I'd appreciate someone explaining the reasons behind this behavior.

Technology news on Phys.org
It's a complex subject -

The main reason it uses swap/pagefile when there is free ram is that swapping out memory is cheap (in time) compared to getting it back, so when you have some memory that doesn't look like it's changing very often Windows (and most modern OSs) will swap it out when they aren't busy. If they then need some more memory for another task they can quickly delete the in-memory copy of the other data because they already have a swapped copy. Of course when the other process needs that memory it will have to be read back in - but that's a problem for the future.

Let me see if I got this:
Basically while windows is idle it uses the time to copy infrequently used data to HDD, so if the need arises for lots of memory, it can just delete the memory copy, without the effort of swapping it first.
If this is right, then it does make a lot of sense and is actually a cool idea, provided the page replacement algorithm knows its job...

Then there's the other extreme - why does it not use the entire physical memory space?
For example I have 2048MB of memory and I have never seen it reach 2000MB physical usage(always ~19-- MB).

Related to Explaining Windows Memory Paging and Allocation

1. What is memory paging and allocation in Windows?

Memory paging and allocation is a process in which the Windows operating system manages the use of physical memory (RAM) by temporarily storing data that is not currently in use in a secondary storage location, such as the hard drive. This allows for more efficient use of available memory and helps prevent system crashes due to lack of available memory.

2. How does memory paging work in Windows?

When a program or application is opened in Windows, it is loaded into the computer's physical memory. As the program runs and requires more memory than is available, the operating system will move less frequently used data to the secondary storage location and replace it with data from the program. This process is known as paging and allows for more efficient use of available memory.

3. What is the purpose of memory allocation in Windows?

Memory allocation is the process of assigning portions of physical memory to different programs and applications. This allows multiple programs to run simultaneously without interfering with each other's memory usage. The operating system manages the allocation of memory to ensure that each program has enough memory to run effectively.

4. How does Windows handle memory allocation for different programs?

Windows uses a virtual memory system to allocate memory for different programs. This means that each program has its own virtual address space, which is mapped to the physical memory by the operating system. The size of the virtual address space is limited by the amount of available physical memory and the operating system's architecture.

5. What are the consequences of insufficient memory paging and allocation in Windows?

If there is not enough available memory for a program to run, it may result in system crashes or errors. This can also lead to slower performance as the operating system constantly has to access data from the secondary storage location. It is important to regularly monitor and manage memory usage in Windows to prevent these issues.