Explaining Extreme Spacetime Curvature & Time Physics

In summary, time dilation occurs due to the curvature of space-time, not just space, and can be understood using concepts such as world line lengths and geodesics.
deuce123
Can someone please explain to me why time drastically slows for anyone near an extremely curves spacetime. I see it as the flow of time almost becomes slowed due to extreme curvature, what can explain this? What do physicists "see" time as? Also, I'm not entirely educated on this topic but I almost imagine as the flow of time being stress lines like in materials, and when it gets impacted the stress lines come together closer. This i see as time being bundled together, which i guess slows it down. This might be totally off, but it was just in my mind and want too see what the representation of time actually is. Thank you everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
Time dilation is not directly related to curvature so the premise of the question is misleading. Proper time for an observer in relativity is essentially the length of the observer's world line. Making an analogy to "normal" surfaces, there exists the possibility that a line that goes along a curved part of the surface is shorter or longer than a path that does not. The actual math will tell you which it is.

Orodruin said:
Time dilation is not directly related to curvature so the premise of the question is misleading. Proper time for an observer in relativity is essentially the length of the observer's world line. Making an analogy to "normal" surfaces, there exists the possibility that a line that goes along a curved part of the surface is shorter or longer than a path that does not. The actual math will tell you which it is.
Thank you, will i be able to understand the mathematics of it if I've completed calculus, but not linear algebra and diff. eq? Also if you can, can you send me some of the math too check out

What you need to understand to understand the mathematics behind GR is calculus on manifolds. I would strongly suggest learning linear algebra and differential equations before picking that up. You should find a basic introduction to the mathematics in any GR textbook.

deuce123 said:
Can someone please explain to me why time drastically slows for anyone near an extremely curves spacetime.
It's not clear but you may be under a sever misapprehension here. Time does NOT slow, drastically or otherwise, for someone deep in a gravity well. What DOES happen is that if you go into a deep gravity well and come out again, your clock, which will have ticked away at one second per second for the whole trip, will have experienced fewer ticks than if you had just stayed put. When you are in the gravity well, someone back where you started sees you as time dilated and when you return, you have experience differential aging. So YOU don't see any slowing due to gravitational time dilation, only others see it.

phinds said:
It's not clear but you may be under a sever misapprehension here. Time does NOT slow, drastically or otherwise, for someone deep in a gravity well. What DOES happen is that if you go into a deep gravity well and come out again, your clock, which will have ticked away at one second per second for the whole trip, will have experienced fewer ticks than if you had just stayed put. When you are in the gravity well, someone back where you started sees you as time dilated and when you return, you have experience differential aging. So YOU don't see any slowing due to gravitational time dilation, only others see it.
Mind blown. Thank you everyone for replying!

No.

First of all, that is just a plot of a surface with some coordinate grid lines. Second, you must look at world line lengths in space-time, not in space. GR is a theory that deals with the curvature (and other properties) of space-time. It is insufficient to just consider curved space.

Related to Explaining Extreme Spacetime Curvature & Time Physics

1. What is spacetime curvature and how does it affect time?

Spacetime curvature is a phenomenon described by Einstein's theory of general relativity, in which the presence of massive objects like planets and stars causes distortion in the fabric of spacetime. This distortion affects the way objects move through space and also has an impact on the passage of time. The greater the mass and density of an object, the more extreme the spacetime curvature and the slower time passes in its vicinity.

2. How does extreme spacetime curvature occur?

Extreme spacetime curvature can occur in situations where there is a very high concentration of mass or energy, such as near a black hole or during the early universe. In these scenarios, the strong gravitational pull of the massive objects causes a significant distortion in the fabric of spacetime, resulting in extreme spacetime curvature.

3. What is the relationship between spacetime curvature and gravity?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. This means that what we perceive as the force of gravity is actually the effect of spacetime curvature on the motion of objects.

4. Can spacetime curvature be observed or measured?

Yes, spacetime curvature can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations. For example, the bending of light around massive objects like stars and galaxies is a direct result of spacetime curvature. The precise measurements of the orbit of Mercury also provided evidence for the existence of spacetime curvature and confirmed Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. How does time dilation relate to extreme spacetime curvature?

Time dilation, the phenomenon in which time passes slower in the presence of extreme spacetime curvature, is a direct consequence of Einstein's theory of general relativity. The greater the amount of spacetime curvature, the more significant the time dilation effect. This has been confirmed through experiments such as the Hafele-Keating experiment, where atomic clocks were shown to run at different rates depending on their location in Earth's gravitational field.