Explain the difference between these two theorems.

In summary, Theorem 11 restates Theorem 3 in a more powerful way by including a conclusion about the point x = R and uniform convergence. The first theorem has a weaker assumption and only applies to points within the radius of convergence, while the second theorem applies to the full interval of convergence.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

So I get to Abel's Theorem and I'm like, "What the fork? I think I've seen this before."

Homework Equations

THEOREM III. Suppose that the series ∑anxn has a positive or infinite radius of convergence R. Let 0 < r < R. Then the series converges uniformly on the closed interval -r ≤ x ≤ r.

THEOREM XI. If ∑anxn converges at x = R, then it converges uniformly on the closed interval 0 ≤ x ≤ R. A like conclusion
golds for -R ≤ x ≤ 0 if the series converges at x = -R.

The Attempt at a Solution

Theorem 11 seems to be restating theorem 3 in a different way.

Theorem 2 mentions the "radius of convergence R." Theorem 11 mentions an R at which the series converges, which means R is any number inside the radius of convergence. Thus we're talking about the interval of convergence in both theorems. Then, basically, they both state that a series converges uniformly in its interval of convergence. [PLAIN]http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4879227/lolwut.jpg?imageSize=Large&generatorName=OWL

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first one says, that if it is has radius of convergence R, then it converges uniformly for all points within that radius (but it says nothing about the case where |x| = R).

According to the second one, if it converges at x = R, then the radius of convergence is at least R (and then it reminds you that this implies that it also converges for all |x| < R).

Have to admit I had to look twice to notice the difference though, so I understand your confusion.

Also note that the first theorem does NOT say that the series converges uniformly on it's interval of convergence. It says that the series converges uniformly on something smaller than the interval of convergence.

For example, if the interval of convergence is [-2,2]. Then the first theorem can be applied to show that convergence is uniform on [-1,1] or [-1.5, 1.5], but NOT on [-2,2]!

If you want uniform convergence on the full interval of convergence, then you need to apply the second theorem.

Thanks, guys! So Theorem 11 is more powerful since it says something about the point x = R and uniform convergence?

Yes, theorem 11 has a more powerful conclusion!

Do note that the first theorem has a weaker assumption, too.
It is of the form "if A, then B for x < R"
The second on is of the form "if A and B for x = R, then C for x < R as well as for x = R".

Related to Explain the difference between these two theorems.

What is the difference between a theorem and a postulate?

A theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true using logical arguments and previously established facts. A postulate, on the other hand, is an accepted statement or assumption that is used as a basis for further reasoning and proof.

How are theorems and axioms related?

Axioms are statements that are accepted without proof, while theorems are statements that have been proven using axioms and logical reasoning. A theorem can be thought of as a conclusion reached from a series of axioms.

What is the difference between a geometric theorem and an algebraic theorem?

A geometric theorem deals with geometric shapes and their properties, while an algebraic theorem deals with equations and their properties. Geometric theorems use visual and spatial reasoning, while algebraic theorems use numerical and algebraic reasoning.

Can a theorem and a postulate be used interchangeably?

No, the two terms cannot be used interchangeably. A postulate is an assumption that is accepted without proof, while a theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true.

How are theorems and proofs related?

A proof is a logical argument that shows the validity of a theorem. Theorems and proofs are closely related as a theorem needs to have a valid proof in order to be accepted as true.