Explain FBD in vertical circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on a pebble moving in a vertical circle and the need for the weight to be balanced. It is determined that the weight does not need to be balanced in order for the system to work, as long as there is a centripetal force acting towards the center of the circle. However, it is noted that in this specific case, the motion is not uniform and the forces are not balanced at any point on the trajectory.
Deepak verma
Hi ,

just curious about the F.B.D of a pebble moving in a vertical circle, which component that balances the weight of the pebble at the horizontal position , as tension is providing the required centripetal force , weight is acting downwards , which component balances it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the weight needs to be balanced?

it has to be , otherwise system won't be working as it does . There is no counter force to balance it. a system is in equilibrium has all ∑force = 0 .

Deepak verma said:
it has to be , otherwise system won't be working as it does . There is no counter force to balance it. a system is in equilibrium has all ∑force = 0 .
The system is not in equilibrium.

not in equilibrium but forces should be balanced as it is a case of uniform circular motion no tangential acceleration only centripetal .
[Mentor's note: This post has been edited to remove some unnecessary personal argumentation]

Last edited by a moderator:
Deepak verma said:
not in equilibrium but forces should be balanced as it is a case of uniform circular motion no tangential acceleration only centripetal .
Even in uniform circular motion the forces are not balanced; the object is accelerating in some direction and this requires some non-zero net force.

Deepak verma said:
But motion in a vertical circle (such as a rock tied to a rope, spun in a circle) is not uniform circular motion. There will be a tangential acceleration.

As Nugatory already pointed out, for accelerated motion (which this is an example of) the forces aren't "balanced" but comply with Newton's 2nd law.

@Nugatory , I understand there should be some net force but that force is centripetal force acting towards center not the weight , weight has to be balanced as it has no tangential acceleration.

My main concern is at a particular point that is when string is horizontal weight simply acts downwards and as no counter component is there it should not complete the circle because acceleration g is acting downwards.

Deepak verma said:
@Nugatory
My main concern is at a particular point that is when string is horizontal weight simply acts downwards and as no counter component is there it should not complete the circle because acceleration g is acting downwards.
What is the tension in the string at that moment? What is the acceleration of the weight at that moment?

The situation might be a bit easier to visualize if you imagine the object to be moving along a circular track instead of the end of a stretched string.

Tension would be equal to centripetal force and acceleration is towards the center v sqaure divided by radius of circle . See everything is defined except weight component.

Deepak verma said:
Tension would be equal to centripetal force and acceleration is towards the center v sqaure divided by radius of circle . See everything is defined except weight component.
And the weight is defined too; in fact, it's the only force in the problem which is constant in both magnitude and direction.

You're mistaken about the direction of the acceleration; there are only two points in the circle where the tangential component of the acceleration is zero, and they aren't where the string is horizontal.

Deepak verma said:
@Nugatory , I understand there should be some net force but that force is centripetal force acting towards center not the weight , weight has to be balanced as it has no tangential acceleration.

What point of the trajectory are you referring to? Top, bottom, on the side?

Side.

If it is a uniform circular motion , then there won't be any tangential acceleration throughout the motion , I'm talking theoretically not practically , I know there is no motion as uniform circular motion but still my doubt persist. Weight at other position counter balance tension or provide tension and centripetal force not at horizontal position that is my concern

On the horizontal position of the string the weight is tangential so there is tangential acceleration. The tension is radial so there is centripetal acceleration.
This motion is not uniform, not even theoretically. The speed changes as the body moves along the circular trajectory. It has a maximum speed at the bottom point and a minimum speed at the top point. There is no point on the trajectory where the forces are balanced.
If the forces are balanced (net force equal to zero) the only motion possible is in a straight line, with constant speed.

Likes Deepak verma
Deepak verma said:
If it is a uniform circular motion , then there won't be any tangential acceleration throughout the motion , I'm talking theoretically not practically , I know there is no motion as uniform circular motion but still my doubt persist. Weight at other position counter balance tension or provide tension and centripetal force not at horizontal position that is my concern
You've specified motion in a vertical circle, so it isn't uniform circular motion.

Conservation of energy requires that the sum of the kinetic energy and the potential energy of the weight be constant; but the potential energy is greater at the top of the circle than at the bottom, so the kinetic energy and hence the speed must therefore be less at the top than at the bottom. More informally, the speed must change because gravity is slowing the weight on the upswing and speeding it up on the downswing. The speed can only change if there is a tangential component to the acceleration; it does change, so therefore there must be a tangential component to the acceleration.

Last edited:
@thank you nasu , i got the point . thank you everyone .

And one more thing , so I can conclude , there is no vertical uniform circular motion theoretically as well. But horizontally it would be possible right?

Deepak verma said:
And one more thing , so I can conclude , there is no vertical uniform circular motion theoretically as well. But horizontally it would be possible right?
Sure. And using the same example -- the rock on a rope, but now spun horizontally -- the weight of the rock would be balanced by the tension in the rope. The rope would not be horizontal, but at an angle.

yeah in that case :

Tcosθ = mg and , Tsinθ= mv(square)/r

Right.

Related to Explain FBD in vertical circle

1. What is a free body diagram (FBD) in a vertical circle?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object in a given situation. In the case of a vertical circle, the FBD shows all the forces acting on an object as it moves in a circular path, including the force of gravity, the normal force, and any other external forces.

2. How does the direction of the velocity affect the FBD in a vertical circle?

The direction of the velocity affects the FBD in a vertical circle because it determines the direction of the centripetal acceleration. If the velocity is pointing upwards, the centripetal acceleration will be directed towards the center of the circle, and if the velocity is pointing downwards, the centripetal acceleration will be directed away from the center of the circle.

3. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force in a vertical circle?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circle, keeping an object moving in a circular path. In a vertical circle, this force is provided by the tension in the string or rope. Centrifugal force, on the other hand, is a fictitious or apparent force that appears to act outwards on an object moving in a circular path. It is not a real force, but rather a result of the object's inertia wanting to keep moving in a straight line.

4. How do you determine the magnitude and direction of the net force in a vertical circle?

In a vertical circle, the net force is equal to the difference between the centripetal force and the weight of the object. The magnitude of the net force can be calculated using the equation Fnet = Fc - mg, where Fc is the centripetal force and mg is the weight of the object. The direction of the net force will always be directed towards the center of the circle.

5. What is the minimum speed required for an object to complete a vertical circle?

The minimum speed required for an object to complete a vertical circle is equal to the square root of the product of the radius of the circle and the acceleration due to gravity. This can be calculated using the equation v = √(rg), where v is the minimum speed, r is the radius of the circle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. If the speed is less than this value, the object will not be able to complete the vertical circle and will fall off at the top.