Experts' Thinking: How Physics Experts Think Differently

• Thread starter rpthomps
  • Start date
In summary, I think that teaching "scientific reasoning" mastery sociology science is a good idea for high school students.
rpthomps
Good afternoon,

I am interested in developing the critical thinking of my students further and I was thinking the focus for this line of attack would be to try and train them similarly to how experts in the physics field think. For example, scientists continuously wonder if the data they collect is "good" and go back to their measurement equipment, models and relationships to inform whether or not it is. Are there any other "skills" that differentiate a physics expert?

Science news on Phys.org
I've seen literature on how experts vs novices solve physics problems. I'm sure you can find it online.

I find (and I really should do this more often) that just saying what you are thinking helps. If I put up a graph, I tell them that first I'm looking at the axes and the units, then I tell them what else I see. You can also try solving a problem in front of them that you haven't attempted yet, and as you read and solve the problem tell them what you are thinking.

Likes vela and gleem
rpthomps said:
Good afternoon,

I am interested in developing the critical thinking of my students further and I was thinking the focus for this line of attack would be to try and train them similarly to how experts in the physics field think. For example, scientists continuously wonder if the data they collect is "good" and go back to their measurement equipment, models and relationships to inform whether or not it is. Are there any other "skills" that differentiate a physics expert?

You didn't mention the age/grade group you are working with, there are some materials out there about teaching 'the sociology of scientific reasoning' and 'expert-like practice':

https://www.nap.edu/read/11625/chapter/8
https://sites.nationalacademies.org/cs/groups/dbassesite/documents/webpage/dbasse_080105.pdf
https://books.google.com/books?id=A... reasoning" mastery sociology science&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=G...page&q="expert-like practice" science&f=false

Is that what you have in mind?

Likes rpthomps
First go to https://www.criticalthinking.org/pages/defining-critical-thinking/766 and read the definitions of critical thinking if you have not yet done so.

To start I believe the characterization of thinking as critical should be considered redundant. How many time have you said to your children or a student " You are not thinking"! You did not say you are not thinking critically.

Anyway I think it is useful for students to "see" how experts think. But first you have to get the students to think, to engage their minds and really participate the the learning process. This seems to be lacking to a large extent in the lecture halls. Critical thinking is a skill and is discipline dependent . It is a many faceted skill. Programs that have focused only on critical thinking have not brought the reward anticipated. You must critically think about something. Critical thinking involve assessing such things as information sources. evaluating assumptions, applying rational logical thought processes, recognizing biases. Critical thinking is a skilled developed over ones lifetime that improves one quality of life and indeed the quality of society.

Critical thinking is largely dependent on comprehension of the information you cannot think effectively about that which you do not understand. In her book Natalie Wexler " The Knowledge Gap: The Hidden Cause of America’s Broken Education System—And How to Fix It" she reviews the failure the educational systems that do not emphasize knowledge of our world .

So I would say that critical thinking is a skill that emerges from a well taught course. You must teach a course that requires them to think critically, a course that engages them and challenges them.

Likes rpthomps
Dr_Nate said:
I've seen literature on how experts vs novices solve physics problems. I'm sure you can find it online.

I find (and I really should do this more often) that just saying what you are thinking helps. If I put up a graph, I tell them that first I'm looking at the axes and the units, then I tell them what else I see. You can also try solving a problem in front of them that you haven't attempted yet, and as you read and solve the problem tell them what you are thinking.

Those are good ideas. Thanks for your time.

Thanks for your response @gleem and for the book recommendation. I will check it out!

Related to Experts' Thinking: How Physics Experts Think Differently

1. How do physics experts approach problem-solving differently?

Physics experts often approach problem-solving by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and using their knowledge of fundamental concepts and principles to guide their thinking. They also tend to use visual representations, such as diagrams and graphs, to help them understand and analyze the problem.

2. What makes the thinking of a physics expert different from a non-expert?

The thinking of a physics expert is often characterized by deeper understanding and a more intuitive grasp of the underlying principles and concepts. They also tend to think more abstractly and make connections between seemingly unrelated ideas, allowing them to approach problems from multiple perspectives.

3. How does expertise in physics impact decision-making?

Experts in physics have a strong foundation of knowledge and experience, which allows them to make more informed and confident decisions. They are also able to evaluate the potential consequences of different choices based on their understanding of fundamental principles, making their decisions more efficient and effective.

4. What role does critical thinking play in the thinking of physics experts?

Critical thinking is a crucial aspect of the thinking process for physics experts. They are constantly questioning assumptions, analyzing evidence, and evaluating the validity of their own and others' ideas. This allows them to identify and correct any errors in their thinking and arrive at more accurate and reliable conclusions.

5. How can non-experts improve their thinking to approach problems like physics experts?

Non-experts can improve their thinking by actively engaging in problem-solving and developing a strong foundation of knowledge in the relevant subject matter. They can also practice critical thinking skills, such as questioning assumptions and making connections between concepts, to approach problems from a more expert-like perspective.