Expert Opinions on Choosing a Grad School Direction in Nuclear Engineering

In summary, the person has just been accepted into a graduate program in nuclear engineering, and is trying to figure out what would be a useful direction to take their studies. They enjoyed nuclear physics type classes in their undergraduate degree, but disliked thermal hydraulics and detector classes. They are interested in criticality issues, and are wondering what would generally be very useful to learn more about. They are also interested in hearing from people in the workforce.
tehfrr
I would like some opinions/advice regarding grad school. I have just been accepted into the grad program, and I am trying to figure out what would be a useful directon to take my studies. Since Id be doing my MS at the same school I earned my BS, I will not have to repeat all those 400/500 split level courses I took at the 400 level. This opens things up timewise for other areas of study.

Within nuclear engineering, I enjoyed the nuclear physics type classes, and hated the thermal hydraulics and detector stuff. In my other classes, I enjoyed chemistry, materials science, C programming, EE/circuits and biology. Hated statics, dynamics, thermodynamics.

So anyways, I am thinking about focusing on criticality saftey. I am just wondering, based on my given interests, what would generally be very useful to learn more about? I am interested in hearing from some of you out in the workforce.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Criticality issues are a subset of neutron physics problems associated with fissile materials, so one might think of reactor physics as well. National labs like ORNL, Savannah River and others that deal with special nuclear material would do criticality studies. Brookhaven has a group that specializes in nuclear safety issues.

Outside of the labs, criticality comes up in storage and transportation of fresh and spent fuel, as well as the reactor itself. Criticality issues with power reactors were addressed long ago, and if they arise, the suppliers (NSSS vendors or fuel suppliers) of the technology would deal with it. If the commercial fuel suppliers go to higher enrichments (> 5% U-235), then they will have to revisit the criticality issues within the manufacturing shops. Transportation and storage criticality issues will also be affected by any increase in enrichment.

One needs proficiency in MNCP these days. :wink:

Thermal-hydraulics (and thermodynamics) would be important considerations for power systems, as well as part of a detailed accident analysis. The thermomechanics of a critical system is important, so try not to avoid studies in those areas.

A good knowledge of materials is important, even if one does not like mechanics. However, the mechanical behavior of systems are another part of any system, including thermal-hydraulics and neutron physics.

Programming is an important part of engineering, and some background in EE is useful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I was expecting that crit saftey would take me somewhere like ORNL/Y-12, LANL, LLNL etc. The power plants and fuel vendors seem OK I guess, the large scale of everything is interesting. I like the whole hands on aspect of things though so I always figured the National Labs would be my best bet. I love computers and all but I want to actually see the objects and processes a bunch too.

You think commercial fuel will ever go above .05? The folks at Areva were saying the NRC isn't interested in any of that business.

ORNL/Y-12, LANL, LLNL
would certainly do crit studies. LANL and LLNL have slightly different purposes that the other labs.

At the moment, it is unlikely that enrichments would go above 5%, and the NRC would only be interested if the commercial power industry was interested. So far, it hasn't been necessary, and besides, the industry has enough problems where it is. :biggrin:

Several plants are hitting reloads with 4.95% enrichments with reloads pushing nearly 46% of the core. Some plants using slightly lower average enrichment are reloading nearly 50% of the core in high-energy 18-month cycles.

Related to Expert Opinions on Choosing a Grad School Direction in Nuclear Engineering

1. What is "NE Grad Studies Opinion"?

"NE Grad Studies Opinion" is a survey that gathers feedback from graduate students in the field of Nuclear Engineering. It aims to assess the overall satisfaction of students with their graduate studies experience and identify areas for improvement.

2. Who conducts the "NE Grad Studies Opinion" survey?

The "NE Grad Studies Opinion" survey is typically conducted by a team of researchers or faculty members from a university's Nuclear Engineering department. They are responsible for designing the survey, collecting responses, and analyzing the data.

3. How often is the "NE Grad Studies Opinion" survey conducted?

The frequency of the "NE Grad Studies Opinion" survey may vary depending on the university. Some institutions conduct the survey annually, while others may do it every few years. It is typically conducted towards the end of the academic year to gather feedback from current graduate students.

4. Why is the "NE Grad Studies Opinion" survey important?

The "NE Grad Studies Opinion" survey is important because it provides valuable insights into the graduate studies experience of students in the field of Nuclear Engineering. The feedback gathered from the survey can help universities improve their programs and policies to better meet the needs and expectations of their students.

5. How is the data from the "NE Grad Studies Opinion" survey used?

The data collected from the "NE Grad Studies Opinion" survey is analyzed and used to identify areas for improvement in the graduate studies experience. This information is then shared with university administrators and faculty members to inform decision-making and make changes that will benefit current and future graduate students in the field of Nuclear Engineering.