Experiment: Moving Photon Source - Questions & Answers

In summary, this experiment is trying to see how the distribution of photons changes when they are emitted from a moving photon source. The source could be spinning a fluorescent molecule and the experiment would measure the red shift or blue shift of the photons. I am not sure if this experiment would be affected by some theoretical gaps between relativity and quantum mechanics.
PTopper
I have an idea for an experiment to see how the distribution of photons changes when they are emitted from a moving photon source.

This is a continuation of an earlier discussion here with added information and more questions.

"What happens to a photon wave packet when half out of a moving device?”
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4095957#post4095957

For a stationary source the distribution pattern of photons might be something like a bell curve. For a source in motion, normalize the location of the photons to the direction of the source, adjusting for the speed of light. Will the bell curve get wider due only to experimental error? Or will the source motion have a widening effect on the distribution of photons?

The experiment could be done by spinning a fluorescent molecule with lasers.

Motion in the direction of the photon travel would be expected to cause red shift or blue shift, but that's not what I’m interested in since that is well known. The direction of motion I’m interested in is other than that, a "sideways" or perhaps "radial" motion.

I am particularly interested in how quantum uncertainties affect the direction of photons relative to the source as the source moves, so the photon pattern is not as easy to predict as if the source was stationary.

How might theoretical gaps between relativity and quantum mechanics affect the outcome of this experiment, if at all.

I am not a trained physicist and am asking for people to help with this if interested. I would like to get an experiment like this done and would welcome any ideas on how I can make this happen.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Interesting, not sure if you will get important results but it would be a great learning experience. I suggest reading up on quantum dots as photon emitters, you can couple phonon modes in the crystal to the dot to cause excitations and emission. It seems complicated and wordy but I think quantum dots would be a relatively simple system to analyse as long as you have a knowledge of wave mechanics. You will also need some kind of imager to detect photons, ccds come to mind.

PTopper said:
I have an idea for an experiment to see how the distribution of photons changes when they are emitted from a moving photon source.

This is a continuation of an earlier discussion here with added information and more questions.

"What happens to a photon wave packet when half out of a moving device?”
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4095957#post4095957

For a stationary source the distribution pattern of photons might be something like a bell curve. For a source in motion, normalize the location of the photons to the direction of the source, adjusting for the speed of light. Will the bell curve get wider due only to experimental error? Or will the source motion have a widening effect on the distribution of photons?

Motion in the direction of the photon travel would be expected to cause red shift or blue shift, but that's not what I’m interested in since that is well known. The direction of motion I’m interested in is other than that, a "sideways" or perhaps "radial" motion.

I am particularly interested in how quantum uncertainties affect the direction of photons relative to the source as the source moves, so the photon pattern is not as easy to predict as if the source was stationary.

How might theoretical gaps between relativity and quantum mechanics affect the outcome of this experiment, if at all.

I am not a trained physicist and am asking for people to help with this if interested. I would like to get an experiment like this done and would welcome any ideas on how I can make this happen.

There is nothing unknown here.

In synchrotron light sources, one often use a series of undulators or wigglers to cause relativistic bunches of electrons to wiggle and thus, generate light. This is identical to having a light source moving relativistically. The physics of this is extremely well-known, including the radiation pattern emitted both longitudinally and transversely. In fact, the same principle is at work in free-electron lasers.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
There is nothing unknown here.

In synchrotron light sources, one often use a series of undulators or wigglers to cause relativistic bunches of electrons to wiggle and thus, generate light. This is identical to having a light source moving relativistically. The physics of this is extremely well-known, including the radiation pattern emitted both longitudinally and transversely. In fact, the same principle is at work in free-electron lasers.

Zz.

I don’t think it’s the same. A wiggler emits light at a point of a magnetic deflection, not a very fast moving position as I would like to investigate. The electrons that produce the light are EM and not molecular. Do you measure velocity and angular position of an electron moving at relativistic speeds in relation to same of its emission of a single photon wave packet in a synchrotron or is the light measured as coming from the area of deflection?

Last edited:
PTopper said:
I don’t think it’s the same. A wiggler emitts light at a point of a magnetic deflection, not a very fast moving position as I would like to investigate. The electrons that produce the light are EM and not molecular. Do you measure velocity and angular position of an electron moving at relativistic speeds in relation to same of its emission of a single photon wave packet in a synchrotron or is the light measured as coming from the area of deflection?

Say what?

What you are describing is the deflecting magnet that causes the electron beam path to bend! This is NOT what I have described and this is not what the wiggler/undulator does!

If I'm in the frame of reference of the electron (and this is often done when solving the dynamics of this problem), all I see is bunches of electrons oscillating up and down and up and down, as if it is at the end of a mass-spring system. Period! (no pun intended) This is NOT the synchrotron radiation.

More importantly, you never addressed the fact that this type of a description is contained in classical E&M.

Zz.

TheForce said:
Interesting, not sure if you will get important results but it would be a great learning experience. I suggest reading up on quantum dots as photon emitters, you can couple phonon modes in the crystal to the dot to cause excitations and emission. It seems complicated and wordy but I think quantum dots would be a relatively simple system to analyse as long as you have a knowledge of wave mechanics. You will also need some kind of imager to detect photons, ccds come to mind.

It has already been a great learning experience and informative replies like yours encourage me to do more, thanks.

ZapperZ said:
Say what?

What you are describing is the deflecting magnet that causes the electron beam path to bend! This is NOT what I have described and this is not what the wiggler/undulator does!

If I'm in the frame of reference of the electron (and this is often done when solving the dynamics of this problem), all I see is bunches of electrons oscillating up and down and up and down, as if it is at the end of a mass-spring system. Period! (no pun intended) This is NOT the synchrotron radiation.

More importantly, you never addressed the fact that this type of a description is contained in classical E&M.

Zz.

Sorry to have to quote wiki but a wiggler and deflecting magnet work in the same way and as I described.
A wiggler is an insertion device in a synchrotron. It is a series of magnets designed to periodically laterally deflect ('wiggle') a beam of charged particles (invariably electrons or positrons) inside a storage ring of a synchrotron. These deflections create a change in acceleration which in turn produces emission of broad synchrotron radiation tangent to the curve, much like that of a bending magnet, but the intensity is higher due to the contribution of many magnet dipoles in the wiggler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiggler_(synchrotron)

One is a multipole wiggler (MPW) in which a cone of light is emitted at each bend in the 'wiggle'
http://www.synchrotron.org.au/index.php/synchrotron-science/how-is-synchrotron-light-created

And I said the same.
A wiggler emits light at a point of a magnetic deflection

I want to measure the velocity, position in space and angle of the device that emits the photon wave packet, while it moves. Can you do that with an electron? Doesn't that break the uncertainty principle?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I really don't have time to deal with what you read on Wikipedia, especially when you don't really understand what you read.

My issue with this is with your original post:

PTopper said:

The problem here is that you refuse to learn about classical E&M. Instead, you already jumped ahead, without knowing the physics involved, about "theoretical gaps between relativity and quantum mechanics".

Please note that we welcome people who wish to learn physics. However, our PF Rules are very clear about speculative posts. When you do not understand the basic physics, but continue to build upon that shaky knowledge something else, that is considered to be speculation.

Zz.

PTopper said:
Photons emitted from moving sources are well studied. See http://www.edu-observatory.org/physics-faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html , especially section 3.3

PTopper said:
This is called "transverse Doppler". See section 4.

PTopper said:
They wouldn't. The "theoretical gaps" are between GR and QM. What you have described involves only electromagnetism where there is no gap, not gravity.

1. What is the purpose of the moving photon source experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the behavior and properties of photons when the source of light is in motion. By moving the photon source, we can observe changes in the wavelength, frequency, and speed of the photons.

2. How is the photon source moved in the experiment?

The photon source is typically moved using a motorized stage or a rotating mirror. This allows for precise and controlled movement of the source, which is necessary for accurate measurements.

3. What equipment is needed for this experiment?

The equipment needed for this experiment includes a light source, a motorized stage or rotating mirror, a detector to measure the properties of the light, and various optics components such as lenses and mirrors.

4. What variables are being measured in this experiment?

The main variables being measured in this experiment are the wavelength, frequency, and speed of the photons. Other variables may include the angle and velocity of the moving source, as well as the distance between the source and detector.

5. What applications does this experiment have?

This experiment has various applications in fields such as physics, astronomy, and telecommunications. By studying the behavior of moving photons, we can gain a better understanding of light and its properties, which can lead to advancements in technology and scientific research.