Experiencing a Clicking Noise in My Right Ear - Any Advice?

• Medical
  • Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Noise
In summary, the conversation revolves around a strange clicking noise that is heard in the right ear. The participants discuss their experiences with the noise and speculate on its possible causes, including cricking of the neck and issues with the eustachian tube. One participant even mentions being able to control the clicking on their own. However, there is some concern that the noise could be a symptom of a more serious medical condition and it is recommended to seek advice from a doctor.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
There's just no way to ask this without imagining the smirks and jibes I'm going to get, so make em good.

There's a noise inside my head.

I am not looking for a diagnosis, this is just curious conversation, and I will most definitely to go my doctor for any advice.

Every once on a while I become aware of a clicking noise in my right ear. I most often become aware of it sitting on my couch in from the the TV. There are many things in my living that might be the culprit, but I have become aware of it at work too so I am sure it is coming from me. Specifically, somewhere just below my right ear, in the neck.

The noise sounds exactly like the little cricks you hear when you crack your neck or when you clear your ears, but noise is different in that it is more consistent and unrelated to body movements. It's not filled with "noise" - it doesn't have an organic pattern. It's just click ... click ... click.

I am fairly sure it's not an indication of a hearing problem, and I don't think the regularity has anything got do with my heart beat. I think it's the cricking in my neck. Just weird.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Biology news on Phys.org
Yeah, when I rest the right side of my head against something and the blood is pumping hard enough (like laying down after working out), I have no idea what the clicking is (cartilidge?) but it definitely goes with the my temple pulse. Does the clicking go with your pulse?

Pythagorean said:
Does the clicking go with your pulse?

No. It is several seconds between clicks.

DaveC426913 said:
No. It is several seconds between clicks.

how variable is the frequency? could you write a song to it?

Might your situation have to do with the eustachian tube opening/shutting on that side of your head, allowing +/- air pressure to cause the eardrum to fluctuate, i.e., click? That's a sensation I have which stems from childhood ear infections.

I can actually control the clicking on my right side.

Pythagorean said:
how variable is the frequency?
It is regular enough that I do not really notice variation.

I should mention it doesn't seem to persist long after I become aware of it (probably as I strain to hear it, that changes something), but it's hard to say how long it was occurring before I became aware of it. Could be half a minute.

Pythagorean said:
could you write a song to it?
'Glass half full / silver-lining' kinda guy aren't ya? :biggrin:
Dave 'The human metronome' C426913

haha, well I figure as long as good/bad are subjective, you can mold anything to look like 'em.

DaveC426913 said:
Dave 'The human metronome' C426913
Actually Olivier Sachs discusses metronomic ear clicking in chapter 5 of his book "The Hemispheric Weather". He has examined and actually recorded the ear clickings of 5 different patients, nicknamed, appropriately, Largo, Andante, Allegro, Vivace, and Scherzo. He has no explanation for the phenomenon: EEG's and scans were unrevealing. Two confessed to having swallowed watches as children, for whatever that's worth.

zoobyshoe said:
Two confessed to having swallowed watches as children, for whatever that's worth.
What? I swallowed a lot of stuff as a child, but watches!?

turbo said:
What? I swallowed a lot of stuff as a child, but watches!?
That whole post is fiction. Dave expected smirks and jibes, and I didn't want to disappoint him.

Loren Booda said:
Might your situation have to do with the eustachian tube opening/shutting on that side of your head, allowing +/- air pressure to cause the eardrum to fluctuate, i.e., click? That's a sensation I have which stems from childhood ear infections.

I can actually control the clicking on my right side.

Could be, though I still think it's more related to cricking of the neck.

DaveC426913 said:
Could be, though I still think it's more related to cricking of the neck.

I had quite a lot of popping in my ears before I started taking antihistamines regularly, but mine were definitely more deep ear noises, and not neck noises. I think mine were what Loren Booda describes.

OK just sitting here slowly turning my head left to right (like slowly shaking my head "no"), I do hear quite a lot of clicking. Interesting, I don't think I've ever really listened for it before. I don't really like the sound of it - it's kind of creeepy :-p

"...may be a symptom of potentially life-threatening conditions such as carotid artery aneurysm or carotid artery dissection..."

:bugeye:

Perhaps I will take it up with my doctor.

DaveC426913 said:
Perhaps I will take it up with my doctor.
Yeah. Be worth getting it checked out.

Related to Experiencing a Clicking Noise in My Right Ear - Any Advice?

1. What could be causing the clicking noise in my right ear?

There are a few potential causes for a clicking noise in the ear, including earwax buildup, Eustachian tube dysfunction, and muscle spasms in the middle ear.

2. Is the clicking noise a sign of an underlying condition?

In some cases, a clicking noise in the ear may be a symptom of an underlying condition, such as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder, Meniere's disease, or tinnitus. It's best to consult a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

3. How can I treat the clicking noise in my ear?

The treatment for a clicking noise in the ear depends on the underlying cause. In some cases, it may resolve on its own. However, if it persists or is accompanied by other symptoms, it's important to seek medical advice.

4. Can I prevent the clicking noise in my ear?

Some causes of a clicking noise in the ear, such as earwax buildup or TMJ disorder, can be prevented by practicing good ear hygiene and avoiding activities that may aggravate the condition. However, others, such as Eustachian tube dysfunction, may be more difficult to prevent.

5. When should I see a doctor for a clicking noise in my ear?

If the clicking noise persists for more than a few days or is accompanied by pain, hearing loss, or other symptoms, it's important to seek medical advice. A doctor can properly diagnose the underlying cause and recommend appropriate treatment options.