Experiences with Leaking AA Batteries: Duracell & More

• Thread starter Carl Pugh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, alkaline batteries, such as Duracell, are known to leak after they are past their expiration date and have been fully drained. This can cause damage to devices such as mice and clocks. However, if the mess is cleaned up and hands are properly washed, the devices should still function properly. It is important to note that the leaking substance can be alkaline and may cause a burning sensation, so caution should be taken when handling it.
Carl Pugh
I have always preferred Duracell batteries because I believed that they were less likely to leak.
However the Duracell battery in mouse leaked and damaged the mouse, and the Duracell battery in a clock also leaked damaging the clock.
The mouse was used every day and changed as soon as it quit working.
The battery in the clock was changed as soon as the clock started losing time.

What is your experience with batteries leaking?

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my experience, alkalines will leak after they're run down and past the expiry date (e.g. in the graphing calculator which sits in my desk, getting used once every 4 to 6 months).

After wiping down the mess (the layer usually chips off using a fingernail or knife, and would probably dissolve quite readily in vinegar), the devices should work just fine. CAUTION: the white stuff is probably quite alkaline (basic), make sure you wash your hands thoroughly with soap after finishing. Stop immediately if you feel a burning sensation handling the materials--on second thought, gloves might not be a bad idea.

Related to Experiences with Leaking AA Batteries: Duracell & More

What causes AA batteries to leak?

AA batteries can leak for several reasons, including old age, heat exposure, and being stored in high humidity environments. Leaking occurs when the battery casing becomes damaged, allowing the acidic electrolyte inside to escape.

Are Duracell batteries more likely to leak than other brands?

Duracell batteries are not more likely to leak than other brands. Any brand of battery can potentially leak if it becomes damaged or exposed to heat or moisture. However, Duracell does offer a leak-proof guarantee for their batteries.

Can leaking AA batteries be harmful?

In most cases, the leaking electrolyte from AA batteries is not harmful. However, it is corrosive and can damage electronic devices if left untreated. It is important to clean up any leaked battery acid and replace the batteries in your device to prevent further damage.

How can I prevent AA batteries from leaking?

To prevent AA batteries from leaking, make sure to store them in a cool, dry place and avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures. It is also important to remove batteries from devices when not in use for extended periods of time.

What should I do if I find a leaking AA battery?

If you discover a leaking AA battery, carefully remove it from the device and dispose of it properly. You can clean up any leaked battery acid using a mixture of baking soda and water. Then, thoroughly clean and dry the battery compartment before inserting new batteries.