Expected values and recurrence relations

In summary, In both methods for finding the expected value of a discrete random variable, you first find the generating function and then use its derivative to find the expected value.
techmologist
I'm really puzzled about this one. Say you have a discrete, nonnegative random variable N where the probability pn = P{N=n} satisfies the recurrence relation

[tex]p_{n+2} + r p_{n+1} + s p_n = 0[/tex] for n = 0, 1, 2, ...; p0 and p1 are given.

How do you find the expectation E[N] without solving the recurrence? One way I did it was to find the generating function f for this sequence, and evaluate its derivative at x=1:

Define f(x) as

[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n \geq 0}p_n x^n[/tex] and therefore

[tex]f'(1) = \sum_{n \geq 0}np_n1^{n-1} = E[N][/tex]

To find f(x), multiply the recurrence relation through by x^{n+2} and sum over nonnegative n:

[tex]\sum_{n \geq 0}p_{n+2}x^{n+2} + r p_{n+1}x^{n+2} + s p_n x^{n+2} = 0[/tex]

[tex](f(x) - p_0 - p_1x) + rx(f(x) - p_0) + sx^2f(x) = 0[/tex]

[tex]f(x) = \frac{p_0 + (p_1 + rp_0)x}{1+rx+sx^2}[/tex]

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{p_1 + rp_0}{1+rx+sx^2} - \frac{[p_0 + (p_1 + rp_0)x](r+2sx)}{(1+rx+sx^2)^2}[/tex]

Evaluate this at x=1 and simplify to get

[tex]E[N] = f'(1) = \frac{(1-s)p_1 - s(2+r)p_0}{(1+r+s)^2}[/tex]

That looked pretty good to me ... until I tried to do it another way. It seems like you should be able to get E[N] directly from the recurrence without having to bother with the generating function. Just multiply through by n+2, rearrange a little, and sum:

[tex]\sum_{n \geq 0}(n+2)p_{n+2} + r [(n+1)p_{n+1} + p_{n+1}] + s (np_n + 2p_n) = 0[/tex]

[tex](E[N] - p_1) + r(E[N] + \sum_{n \geq 0} p_{n+1}) + s(E[N] + 2 \sum_{n \geq 0} p_n) = 0[/tex]

[tex](E[N] - p_1) + r(E[N] + 1-p_0 ) + s(E[N] + 2) = 0[/tex] which gives

[tex]E[N] = \frac{p_1 - r(1-p_0) - 2s}{1 + r + s}[/tex]

These can't both be right. The might both be wrong. Any ideas? thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that both methods are conceptually correct and should give the same result.

One thing I noticed is that in the second approach in the sum
[tex]
\sum_{n\geq 0}{(n+2)p_{n+2}} = E[N]-p_1-\mathbf{p_0}
[/tex]
you forgot to subtract [itex]p_0[/itex] and similarly for the sum
[tex]
\sum_{n\geq 0}{(n+1)p_{n+1}} = E[N]-\mathbf{p_0}.
[/tex]

Maybe if you correct this you get an answer compatible with the first approach.

Well, in the sum for expected value, [tex]\sum_{n \geq 0} n p_n[/tex], p0 gets multiplied by 0, so you can leave it off. The first (generally) nonzero term is p1.

True enough. Another point is that you assumed the sum of the p_n to be one. Of course they should sum to unity but they might actually not, depending on the initial values...as it turns out
[tex]
\sum_{n\geq 0}p_n = \frac{(1+r)p_0+p_1}{1+r+s}
[/tex]

If you use that the two results coincide.

Pere Callahan said:
True enough. Another point is that you assumed the sum of the p_n to be one. Of course they should sum to unity but they might actually not, depending on the initial values...as it turns out
[tex]
[/tex]

OK, I'll have to think about that. It may be that this is a necessary restriction on p_0, p_1, and the coefficients r and s. Thanks.

Pere Callahan said:
[tex]
[/tex]

Aha! I see it now. I misunderstood your post when I read it last night. You are using the condition [tex]f(1) = \sum_{n \geq 0}p_n[/tex], which I didn't even think about. Thanks for your help!

Related to Expected values and recurrence relations

1. What is the concept of expected value?

The expected value is a statistical measure that represents the average outcome of a random variable over a large number of trials. It is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and summing them together.

2. How is expected value useful in decision making?

Expected value can help in making decisions by providing a numerical representation of the potential outcomes of a situation. It can be used to compare different options and choose the one with the highest expected value.

3. What is a recurrence relation and how is it related to expected value?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical relationship between the current term and previous terms in a sequence. In the context of expected value, recurrence relations can be used to calculate the expected value of a random variable based on its previous values.

4. Can expected value be negative?

Yes, expected value can be negative. This means that the average outcome of a random variable is lower than the expected outcome. It is important to consider both positive and negative expected values in decision making.

5. How is expected value used in probability distributions?

Expected value is a key concept in probability distributions as it provides a measure of central tendency for the distribution. It can be used to calculate the mean of a discrete distribution or the expected value of a continuous distribution using integration.