Expectation values of spin operators in changing magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a question that the speaker finds similar to a Larmor precession problem. The speaker is trying to solve the problem by referring to the Larmor precession problem and using abbreviations for complicated matrix elements. The other person points out a potential mistake in the approach and clarifies the spin state at time t=0.
athrun200

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=54252&stc=1&d=1356455629.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have totally no idea how to solve this question. But I find it somehow similar to the Larmor precession problem. Therefore I try to solve my problem by referring to that.
Are there any mistakes if I do it like this?

p.s. since the matrix elements are quite complicated, in order to save time, I use "c" to stand for cosine, "e" to stand for exponential that repeat over and over again.
attachment.php?attachmentid=54253&stc=1&d=1356455634.jpg

Attachments

• IQM.jpg
    IQM.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,125
  • IQM2011Q4a.jpg
    IQM2011Q4a.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 768
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you're taking the spin state of the particle at time t = 0 to be proportional to ##\left(\begin{array}{c}1\\0\end{array}\right)##. That would correspond to spin up along the z-axis. But at t = 0 the spin state is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian H for a magnetic field in the direction specified by ##\theta## and ##\phi##. In particular, it's the state that corresponds to "spin up" along the ##\theta##, ##\phi## direction (or, positive energy eigenvalue for H).

Related to Expectation values of spin operators in changing magnetic field

1. What are spin operators in relation to magnetic fields?

Spin operators are mathematical operators that describe the spin of particles in quantum mechanics. They are used to calculate the expectation values of spin, which is a quantum mechanical property that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. In the context of changing magnetic fields, spin operators are used to calculate the expected spin of a particle as the magnetic field changes.

2. How do changing magnetic fields affect spin operators?

Changing magnetic fields can affect spin operators by altering the expected spin of a particle. This is because the spin of a particle is dependent on the strength and direction of the magnetic field. As the magnetic field changes, the spin operators must be recalculated to determine the new expectation values.

3. What is the significance of calculating expectation values of spin operators in changing magnetic fields?

Calculating expectation values of spin operators in changing magnetic fields is important because it allows us to understand how particles behave in different magnetic environments. This information is essential for studying and predicting the behavior of particles in various quantum systems, such as in quantum computing and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

4. How is the expectation value of a spin operator determined in a changing magnetic field?

The expectation value of a spin operator in a changing magnetic field is determined by taking the average of multiple measurements of the spin of a particle. This is done by performing the same experiment on a large number of identical particles and then calculating the average spin value. This value represents the expected spin of a particle in that particular magnetic field.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating expectation values of spin operators in changing magnetic fields?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of calculating expectation values of spin operators in changing magnetic fields. One example is in MRI, where the spin of particles is manipulated using magnetic fields to create images of the body's internal structures. Another application is in quantum computing, where spin operators are used to control and manipulate the spin of particles to perform calculations and store information.