Expectation value of spin operators.

You will have a system of equations from the commutation relations. It may be messy, but it is solvable.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

If an electron is in an eigen state with eigen vector :

[1]
[0]

what are the expectation values of the operators [tex]S_{x}, and S_{z}[/tex]

Interpret answer in terms of the Stern-Gerlach experiment.

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not too sure how to calculate the expectation value of the spin operators. Do you get rid off the integral in this case, when I did this I got :

[0]
[-1] ħ/2

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no integral, it is just matrix multiplication. First, what are the spin matrices for [itex]S_x[/itex], [itex]S_y[/itex], and [itex]S_z[/itex]. Once you have them in matrix form, you can operate on it with your spin vector from the left and right.

nickjer said:
There is no integral, it is just matrix multiplication. First, what are the spin matrices for [itex]S_x[/itex], [itex]S_y[/itex], and [itex]S_z[/itex]. Once you have them in matrix form, you can operate on it with your spin vector from the left and right.

Im not exactly sure. Is it the spin matrix multiplied by the eigen vector multiplied by complex conjugate of eigen vector?

Yes that is right. But the complex conjugate is a row vector that you multiply on the left.

Thanks very much for your help.

I got the expectation values to be:

[itex]<S_x>[/itex] = 0

[itex]<S_z>[/itex] = -ħ/2

[itex]<S^2_z>[/itex] = ħ²/4

Hmmm... You got a negative value? I thought your eigenvector was a spin up vector. That should have given you a positive answer.

nickjer said:
Hmmm... You got a negative value? I thought your eigenvector was a spin up vector. That should have given you a positive answer.

Not so sure. I think this eigen vector is a spin-down. It was represented as β_z in the question. I think spin-up is the α_z eigen vector.

How come when I square the spin matrix of [tex]S_{x}[/tex] and calculate the expectation value of it, it's no longer zero? instead I get ħ²/4 .

In your first post you said the eigenvector was (1,0) which is spin up.

Also, the spin up eigenvector isn't an eigenvector of [itex]S_x[/itex], in fact it is a superposition of the [itex]S_x[/itex] eigenvectors. So just because [itex]\langle S_x\rangle = 0[/itex], it says nothing about what [itex]\langle S_x^2\rangle[/itex] is.

Or you can think of it this way:

[tex]\langle S^2\rangle = \hbar^2 \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2}+1)= \frac{3\hbar^2}{4}[/tex]

And you also know:

[tex]\langle S_z^2\rangle= \frac{\hbar^2}{4}[/tex]

and...

[tex]S^2 = S_x^2 + S_y^2 + S_z^2[/tex]

So taking the expectation value of the above operator...
[tex]\frac{3\hbar^2}{4} = \langle S_x^2\rangle + \langle S_y^2\rangle + \frac{\hbar^2}{4}[/tex]

You see that you can't have the first two expectation values equal to 0 for that equality to hold true.

nickjer said:
In your first post you said the eigenvector was (1,0) which is spin up.

Also, the spin up eigenvector isn't an eigenvector of [itex]S_x[/itex], in fact it is a superposition of the [itex]S_x[/itex] eigenvectors. So just because [itex]\langle S_x\rangle = 0[/itex], it says nothing about what [itex]\langle S_x^2\rangle[/itex] is.

Or you can think of it this way:

[tex]\langle S^2\rangle = \hbar^2 \frac{1}{2}(\frac{1}{2}+1)= \frac{3\hbar^2}{4}[/tex]

And you also know:

[tex]\langle S_z^2\rangle= \frac{\hbar^2}{4}[/tex]

and...

[tex]S^2 = S_x^2 + S_y^2 + S_z^2[/tex]

So taking the expectation value of the above operator...
[tex]\frac{3\hbar^2}{4} = \langle S_x^2\rangle + \langle S_y^2\rangle + \frac{\hbar^2}{4}[/tex]

You see that you can't have the first two expectation values equal to 0 for that equality to hold true.

Oh! yes I meant spin-down which is (0,1) sorry about that.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for your help!

Hello again nickjer! I was going to create another post on spin operators but I thought I might as well post the question here, seeing I already have another post around !

(Q) Use the three angular momentum commutation relations [[itex]S_x[/itex],[itex]S_y[/itex]] = iħ[itex]S_z[/itex] and its cyclic permutations in x, y and z to determine the matrix forms of the operators [itex]S_x[/itex] and [itex]S_y[/itex] if we know the matrix forms of the operators [itex]S_z[/itex] and [itex]S^2[/itex]

I attempted the question by saying:

[itex]S^2_z[/itex] + [itex]S^2_x[/itex] + [itex]S^2_y[/itex] = [itex]S^2[/itex]

I know two of the operators by I need to find out the other two..

This is where I got stuck, I can't see how I can find out what the spin operators are if I have two unknowns and only two spin operators that are known. Is there any method to tackle this question?

Thanks!

Looks like a real messy algebra problem. You will just have to solve for the values of the spin matrices using those conditions you listed above. You will be able to solve it since they have been solved for before. But looks a bit messy.

nickjer said:
Looks like a real messy algebra problem. You will just have to solve for the values of the spin matrices using those conditions you listed above. You will be able to solve it since they have been solved for before. But looks a bit messy.

I don't see how I can work it out using the commutation relations, I don't know where to start..

Just set up a matrix with unknown values. And try to solve for those values.

Related to Expectation value of spin operators.

1. What is the expectation value of spin operators?

The expectation value of spin operators is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the average value of a particular spin measurement on a quantum system. It is calculated by taking the inner product of the spin state with the spin operator, and then taking the average over all possible spin states.

2. How is the expectation value of spin operators related to spin measurements?

The expectation value of spin operators is directly related to the results of spin measurements. It represents the average value that would be obtained if the spin measurement was repeated multiple times on the same quantum system.

3. What is the significance of the expectation value of spin operators in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of spin operators is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. It is used to calculate the probability of obtaining a particular spin measurement and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

4. How is the expectation value of spin operators affected by the state of the quantum system?

The expectation value of spin operators is dependent on the state of the quantum system. Different spin states will have different expectation values, and a change in the state of the system will result in a change in the expectation value of spin operators.

5. Can the expectation value of spin operators be experimentally measured?

Yes, the expectation value of spin operators can be experimentally measured. This is done by performing repeated spin measurements on a large number of identical quantum systems and calculating the average value. The experimental results should closely match the theoretical expectation value calculated using quantum mechanics.