Expectation value of a hermitian operator prepared in an eigenstate

In summary: This implies that the wavefunction collapses to the eigenstate after measurement.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of eigenstates of a Hermitian operator and their relationship to probability and normalization. An eigenstate of a Hermitian operator, represented as \hat{A}\psi = \lambda \psi, means that the system is prepared in a state where the operator acts as a scalar multiple of the state. The wavefunction must be normalized, but not necessarily in terms of the big psi (\Psi), which is a function of both position and time. Measurement of an eigenstate will always result in the corresponding eigenvalue, with a probability of 1.
Dixanadu
Hey guys,

So this question is sort of a fundamental one but I'm a bit confused for some reason. Basically, say I have a Hermitian operator [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]. If I have a system that is prepared in an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex], that basically means that [itex]\hat{A}\psi = \lambda \psi[/itex], where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is real, right? So can I say the following, because the system is prepared in an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]
[itex]∫\psi^{*}\psi=1[/itex]?

The reason I'm asking is because [itex]\psi[/itex] is just a function of [itex]x[/itex] - in literature the normalization is always written in terms of the big psi ([itex]\Psi[/itex]), which is a function of [itex]x,t[/itex].

Also, while I am at it - by saying that it is prepared in an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] does that also mean that the probability of measuring this state is equal to 1? so that the wavefunction is collapsed to this eigenstate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dixanadu said:
So this question is sort of a fundamental one but I'm a bit confused for some reason. Basically, say I have a Hermitian operator [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]. If I have a system that is prepared in an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex], that basically means that [itex]\hat{A}\psi = \lambda \psi[/itex], where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is real, right?
Yes. However, you should write something like ψλ to make clear that ψ is the eigenstate for the eigenvalue λ. Usually, there are many different eigenvalues and corresponding eigenstates.

Dixanadu said:
So can I say the following, because the system is prepared in an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]
[itex]∫\psi^{*}\psi=1[/itex]?
No. Why do you think this normalization is related to the property of ψ being an eigenstate of A?

Dixanadu said:
The reason I'm asking is because [itex]\psi[/itex] is just a function of [itex]x[/itex] - in literature the normalization is always written in terms of the big psi ([itex]\Psi[/itex]), which is a function of [itex]x,t[/itex].
If your wavefunction is normalized at some time, it will remain so at subsequent times. This is guaranteed by the Schrödinger equation (we say the time evolution is"unitary").

Dixanadu said:
Also, while I am at it - by saying that it is prepared in an eigenstate of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] does that also mean that the probability of measuring this state is equal to 1?
More precisely, the probability of getting the corresponding eigenvalue as measurement outcome is 1.

Last edited:

Related to Expectation value of a hermitian operator prepared in an eigenstate

1. What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is the average value of a physical quantity for a given system. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes of the quantity multiplied by their respective probabilities.

2. What is a hermitian operator?

A hermitian operator is a mathematical operator that is equal to its own complex conjugate. In quantum mechanics, hermitian operators represent observable physical quantities, such as position, momentum, and energy.

3. What does it mean to prepare a hermitian operator in an eigenstate?

Preparing a hermitian operator in an eigenstate means that the operator is acting on a state vector that is already in one of its eigenstates. This results in the measurement of the corresponding eigenvalue with a probability of 100%.

4. How is the expectation value of a hermitian operator calculated?

The expectation value of a hermitian operator is calculated by taking the inner product of the state vector with the operator acting on that state vector. This is then divided by the inner product of the state vector with itself.

5. What is the significance of the expectation value of a hermitian operator?

The expectation value of a hermitian operator provides a way to calculate the average value of a physical quantity in quantum mechanics. It is also used to determine the most probable outcome of a measurement on a quantum system.