Expectation value in quantom mechanics (a general question)

In summary, in the conversation, the speaker is confused about calculating expectation values for operators in quantum mechanics. They are used to using a wave function composed of eigenstates to calculate the expectation value, but are unsure how to do so for operators such as Lx and Ly. They question why the expectation value is being calculated with both the bra and ket for the same state, and wonder if they are doing something wrong in their own calculation.
itaibh1

Homework Statement

Hello, I'm a bit confused about the calculation of the expectation values. Normally, when I have a wave function of sort and I want to calculate the expectation value of some operator, I just insert it into the braket <ψ|A|ψ>, where ψ for example is a wave function composed out of eigenstates ψ=1/√3⋅(φ123)
and I will just multiply those accordingly.
My problem started when I was asked to calculate uncertainty for Lx and Ly, I keep seeing the expectation value it's being calculated like this:
Lx=1/2⋅<lm|L++L-|lm>=0, with both bra-ket are for the same state. I don't understand, why can't the wavefunction be one that is composed out of several different eigenstates?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I calculated it at first, I did:
<Lx>=1/2⋅<lm|L++L-|l'm'>, which confused me even more, since this is actually a calculation for the Lx matrix elements. What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
So far I see nothing wrong.
I keep seeing the expectation value it's being calculated like this:
Lx=1/2⋅<lm|L++L-|lm>=0, with both bra-ket are for the same state
So what you see there is that they calculate Lx for a state |lm> that is an eigenstate of both L2 and Lz.
Apparently you have a different state Ψ so you get something different. Where 's the contradiction you see ?

Related to Expectation value in quantom mechanics (a general question)

1. What is the concept of expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value in quantum mechanics is a measure of the average value of a physical quantity, such as position or energy, that is predicted by a quantum mechanical system. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes multiplied by their probabilities.

2. How is the expectation value different from the actual value in quantum mechanics?

The actual value of a physical quantity in quantum mechanics is not well-defined, as the state of a quantum system is described by a wave function that gives probabilities rather than definite values. The expectation value, on the other hand, is a calculated average value based on the probabilities of all possible outcomes.

3. How is the expectation value calculated in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value is calculated by taking the integral of the product of the wave function and the operator corresponding to the physical quantity of interest. This integral is then divided by the integral of the wave function squared to normalize the result.

4. What is the significance of the expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value is significant because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and measure the average value of physical quantities. It also plays a crucial role in many fundamental principles and equations in quantum mechanics, such as the uncertainty principle and the Schrödinger equation.

5. Can the expectation value of a physical quantity in quantum mechanics be negative?

Yes, the expectation value of a physical quantity in quantum mechanics can be negative. This is because the wave function, which is used to calculate the expectation value, can have both positive and negative values. The sign of the expectation value depends on the specific wave function and operator being used.