Expand a function in terms of Legendre polynomials

In summary, the problem is about expanding a function on the interval (a,b) using Legendre polynomials. The transformation u = (2x-a-b)/(b-a) maps the function onto the interval (-1,1). This may seem confusing, but it simply means that u is such that f\circ u is a restriction of f. To solve the problem, it is only necessary to show that u is onto from (a,b) to (-1,1).
Logarythmic
Problem:
Suppose we wish to expand a function defined on the interval (a,b) in terms of Legendre polynomials. Show that the transformation u = (2x-a-b)/(b-a) maps the function onto the interval (-1,1).

How do I even start working with this? I haven't got a clue...

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not speak english in everyday life, and so the words "maps the function onto the interval (-1,1)" seems confusing to me. I would normally interpret them as "u is such that [itex]u\circ f[/itex]:(a,b)-->(-1,1)". But that does not seem to make sense, since we do not know the form of f. What does make sense, is to understand it as "u is such that [itex]f\circ u[/itex]:(a,b)-->R is the same as f:(-1,1)-->R". In other words, you need to show that [itex]f\circ u[/itex] is a restriction of f. But that is easy, you only need to show that u is onto from (a,b) to (-1,1).

Ok, I'm really not good at linear algebra so I think I'll jump this problem. ;)

Related to Expand a function in terms of Legendre polynomials

1. What are Legendre polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a set of orthogonal polynomials that are used to expand a function into a series of terms. They are named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre and are widely used in various fields of science and engineering.

2. Why would I want to expand a function in terms of Legendre polynomials?

Expanding a function in terms of Legendre polynomials can be useful in simplifying complicated functions and solving differential equations. It also allows for a more accurate representation of a function, as the series can be truncated at any point to achieve a desired level of precision.

3. How do I expand a function in terms of Legendre polynomials?

The process of expanding a function in terms of Legendre polynomials involves finding the coefficients of each term in the series by using the orthogonality property of Legendre polynomials. This can be done using integration or by using recurrence relations.

4. What is the relationship between Legendre polynomials and spherical harmonics?

Legendre polynomials are closely related to spherical harmonics, as they are the radial part of the spherical harmonics. In fact, Legendre polynomials are often used to describe the angular dependence of a spherical harmonic function.

5. Can Legendre polynomials be used to expand any function?

Yes, Legendre polynomials can be used to expand any function that is square integrable on the interval [-1,1]. This includes most polynomial functions, trigonometric functions, and many other common functions. However, for functions that are not square integrable, other methods of expansion may be more appropriate.