Exoplanet Eccentricity vs Orbital Period

In summary, this trend shows that planets with shorter orbital periods tend to have less eccentricity. This could be because tidal effects cause the orbit to circularize, or it could be because planets with shorter orbital periods are more likely to be found by the radial velocity method.
Drakkith
Mentor
I have a question concerning the eccentricity vs orbital period of observed exoplanets. Going to this link let's you plot different exoplanet properties on each axis of a graph. Plugging in Orbital Period for the X-axis and Eccentricity for the Y-axis shows that a trend towards decreasing eccentricity with shorter orbital periods. I'd just like to know why exoplanets (and other objects I suppose) have less chance of having a highly eccentric orbit when their orbital periods are very short.

Thanks.

By the way, the link above (http://exoplanets.org/plots) takes you to a super-cool database where you can plot any of a few dozen exoplanet properties and compare them. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in super-cool things. Especially that Phinds guy. Go! Plot things! Be super-cool like this guy is---> :cool:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My guess would be tidal effects. Tidal interactions tend to circularise the orbit, unless some resonance interferes. Shorter orbital periods mean tighter orbits and/or more massive central body, which translates to increased tidal effects on the planet.

For very close orbits, tidal effects would be my guess as well.
It could also be some selection bias. Planets with short orbital periods were mainly observed via transits, planets with longer orbital periods via radial velocity. I can imagine that the latter method profits from a larger eccentricity a bit as it leads to larger and more sudden velocity changes. You are also sensitive to different planet types - radial velocity mainly finds gas giants.

mfb said:
Planets with short orbital periods were mainly observed via transits, planets with longer orbital periods via radial velocity.

Shouldn't the radial velocity method be more effective for finding exoplanets with short orbital periods rather than long orbital periods?

Sure, but there the transit method lead to hundreds of smaller planets, so those hot jupiters are a smaller group now.

Did you check your plot with additional constraints on the mass? Larger/smaller than some value?

I've filtered the results to show just the planets detected by the radial velocity method and it still appears to show a trend. See the attached picture.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-03-27 18.02.59.png
    Screenshot 2015-03-27 18.02.59.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 541

Related to Exoplanet Eccentricity vs Orbital Period

1. What is an exoplanet's eccentricity?

An exoplanet's eccentricity refers to the shape of its orbit around its host star. It is a measure of how much the orbit deviates from a perfect circle. An eccentricity of 0 indicates a perfectly circular orbit, while a value closer to 1 indicates a highly elliptical orbit.

2. How is eccentricity related to an exoplanet's orbital period?

The eccentricity of an exoplanet's orbit can affect its orbital period, or the time it takes to complete one full orbit around its host star. A higher eccentricity generally leads to a longer orbital period, as the planet spends more time at the farthest point of its orbit away from the star.

3. What factors influence the eccentricity of an exoplanet's orbit?

The eccentricity of an exoplanet's orbit can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the presence of other planets in the system, interactions with the host star's magnetic field, and gravitational interactions with other objects in the galaxy.

4. Why is it important to study the relationship between eccentricity and orbital period?

Studying the relationship between an exoplanet's eccentricity and orbital period can provide valuable insight into the formation and evolution of planetary systems. It can also help us better understand the potential habitability of exoplanets, as the shape of their orbits can affect their distance from their host star and the potential for liquid water to exist on their surface.

5. How do scientists measure the eccentricity and orbital period of exoplanets?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure the eccentricity and orbital period of exoplanets, including radial velocity measurements, transit observations, and direct imaging. These methods allow scientists to gather data on the planet's size, mass, and distance from its host star, which can then be used to calculate its eccentricity and orbital period.