Exercise on collisions and oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball rolling towards a block connected to a spring. The initial velocity of the ball, the spring constant, and the masses of the ball and block are given. The final velocity of the ball if it rolls back immediately is calculated using the formula for an elastic collision. The amplitude of the oscillation is then calculated using the conservation of energy formula. The conversation also mentions calculating the maximum acceleration of the block, but there is disagreement on the approach due to lack of information on the elasticity of the collision.
jones123
Hi,

I tried to solve this problem myself and I'd like someone to check it :) Thanks already!

A ball is rolling towards a block, which is connected to a spring. Assume no friction occurs. The initial velocity of the ball is 10 m/s. The spring constant is k = 5 N/m. Mass of the ball = 5 kg and mass of the block connected to the spring = 2 kg. After the ball hit the block, the spring starts oscillating harmonically. Calculate:

(a) the final velocity of the ball if it rolls back immediately.
=> i don't really know if you should concern the 'rolling motion' but I used the formula of an elastic collision where m1 = block and m2 = mass
=> v2f = ((m2-m1)v2i + 2m1v1i) / (m1+m2) = (5-2)(10) / 7 = 4,28 m/s

(b) what is the amplitude of the oscillation?
=> conservation of energy : (1/2)mv² = (1/2)kx²
where v = v1f = ((m1-m2)v1i + 2m2v2i) / (m1+m2) = 2(5)(10) / 7 = 14.28 m/s
=> putting this into the formula:
x² = 2(14.28) / 5 => x = 2.38m

(c) the max acceleration of the block

a(max) = kx/m = (5)(2.38)/(2) = 5.95 m/s² or a(max) = Aw² = (2.38)(5/2) = 5.95 m/s²

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the final velocity of the ball if it rolls back immediately
That is strange. I agree with your approach for an elastic collision, but then the ball does not roll back - it continues to roll in the same direction as before. This also implies that the oscillation of spring+block will hit it again, if the ball does not vanish magically.

For (b), I think you forgot a square for the velocity. This leads to a wrong answer for c, too.

mfb said:
That is strange. I agree with your approach for an elastic collision, but then the ball does not roll back - it continues to roll in the same direction as before. This also implies that the oscillation of spring+block will hit it again, if the ball does not vanish magically.
I agree. Even for an elastic collision, the ball will only roll back if it is less massive than the block. If not completely elastic, it might not roll back even then. And I don't see where it says the collision is elastic anyway, so even if the masses are swapped around there's not enough information.

Related to Exercise on collisions and oscillations

1. What is a collision in physics?

A collision in physics is when two objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy or momentum. This can either be an elastic collision, where the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy, or an inelastic collision, where some energy is lost during the collision.

2. How does the conservation of momentum apply to collisions?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In collisions, the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, regardless of any energy lost during the collision. This allows us to predict the final velocities of the objects involved.

3. What are oscillations in physics?

Oscillations in physics refer to the repetitive back-and-forth motion of an object around a fixed point or equilibrium. This can be seen in various systems, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth, or a mass attached to a spring bouncing up and down.

4. What is the relationship between frequency and period in oscillations?

The frequency of an oscillation is the number of complete cycles it completes in one second, measured in hertz (Hz). The period, on the other hand, is the time it takes for one complete cycle to occur. The relationship between frequency and period is inverse, meaning as the frequency increases, the period decreases.

5. How do we calculate the amplitude of an oscillation?

The amplitude of an oscillation is the maximum displacement of an object from its equilibrium position. It can be calculated using the maximum displacement or the velocity and acceleration of the object. In simple harmonic motion, the amplitude is equal to the maximum displacement of the object.