Exercise 26 in Schutz's First course in GR

In summary, the question asks for the energy required to accelerate a particle of nonzero rest mass from a speed v to a speed v+δv, where δv is much smaller than v. It is shown that it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate the particle to the speed of light, using the conservation of 4-momentum and the equation E=γ(v+δv)mc^2, where γ is the Lorentz factor and c is the speed of light. This is because for v+δv=c, the Lorentz factor becomes infinite and the energy required diverges.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The question as follows:

Calculate the energy that is required to accelerate a particle of rest mass ##m\ne 0## from speed ##v## to speed ##v+\delta v## (##\delta v \ll v##).
Show that it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate the particle to the speed of light.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I have done so far, the 4-momentum before is ##(m,mv)## and the 4-momentum after is: ##(E,m(v+\delta v))##, the square of the 4 momentum is conserved, i.e:
$$E^2 - m^2(v+\delta v)^2 = m^2-m^2v^2$$

After rearranging I get the following equation for the energy:

$$E=mv\sqrt{1/v^2+2\delta v /v +(\delta v/v)^2}$$

I think I have a mistake somewhere, since I don't know how to expand this in a Taylor series, I have the expansion ##\sqrt{1+x} \approx 1+1/2 x##, but here I have ##1/v^2## inside the sqrt.

Perhaps I am wrong with the 4-momentum or something else, any tips?

Thanks in advance.

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I got it wrong it should be ##E=\gamma(v+\delta v)mc^2##, and $$\gamma(v+\delta v) \approx 1+1/2 (v+\delta v)^2$$

For ##v +\delta v = c$, we get the E diverges.

Related to Exercise 26 in Schutz's First course in GR

1. What is Exercise 26 in Schutz's First course in GR?

Exercise 26 in Schutz's First course in GR is a problem set designed to test understanding and application of concepts related to general relativity.

2. What topics does Exercise 26 cover?

Exercise 26 covers topics such as the Einstein equations, geodesic equations, and the Schwarzschild metric.

3. How difficult is Exercise 26?

The difficulty of Exercise 26 can vary depending on the individual's understanding of general relativity. It is generally considered to be a challenging exercise for those who are new to the subject.

4. How long does it typically take to complete Exercise 26?

The time it takes to complete Exercise 26 can vary depending on an individual's knowledge and understanding of the subject. It can take anywhere from a few hours to several days.

5. What is the purpose of Exercise 26 in Schutz's First course in GR?

The purpose of Exercise 26 is to reinforce and apply the concepts covered in the first course of general relativity, allowing students to further develop their understanding of the subject.