Exclusion plots and cross-section?

In summary, the conversation is about exclusion plots for WIMP direct detection experiments, where one axis depicts WIMP mass and the other depicts cross section. These plots illustrate the experimental sensitivities for which the presence of a particle has been investigated and potentially ruled out in the event of a null result. The cross-section is the likelihood of a collision event and is proportional to the size of the cross-sectional area. The use of cross-section in these plots is to estimate the number of particles that would be observed if that were the cross-section. These exclusion plots also take into account different target nuclei, such as Ge, Xe, and Si, in order to rule out different cross-sections.
frazzle
Hello everyone,

As I've mentioned in a thread in the cosmology forum, I'm currently reseraching dark matter.

I am often confronted with 'exclusion plots' for the results of WIMP direct detection (via nuclear recoil) experiments, where one axis depicts WIMP mass, and the other depicts cross section.

Am I correct in saying that these plots illustrate the experimental sensitivities for which the presence of a particle has been investigated and - in the event of a null result - ruled out?

In which case, I understand how an experiment could be sensitive to a range of particle masses/energies, but I am a bit confused about the cross-section part. Am I right in thinking that cross-section is the likelihood of a collision event?

here is an example!:

http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=exclusionplot6sc.jpg

if anyone could go any way towards answering these questions I would really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
frazzle said:
In which case, I understand how an experiment could be sensitive to a range of particle masses/energies, but I am a bit confused about the cross-section part. Am I right in thinking that cross-section is the likelihood of a collision event?

It's proportional to it, yes. When you see constraints on the dark matter cross section, it's probably due to direct detection experiments where they look for the products of a dark matter particle interacting with something ordinary, like a nucleus.

As I understand it, mass constraints come also from collider experiments. If they were to create a dark matter particle in a reaction, then it would appear as missing energy; that is, the interaction would appear as if it weren't conserving energy. The same thing can be done to identify neutrinos. As they move to larger energy scales, it's more likely that they will produce the dark matter particle in a reaction, if it exists.

In order to put a mass limit, a size of the cross-section for its observation has to be assumed. The use of cross-section is:
N_seen=(N_incident per unit area)*(cross-section).

Thankyou both for your explanations, they are a big help. I'm still a little confused though. When we talk about the cross-section, we are referring to a cross-sectional area? Is this the cross-section of the incident particle or the target?

It makes sense to me that a larger cross-section for either of these particles would increase the likelihood of a collision, and hence, as spacetiger mentioned, they are proportional.

My main source of confusion I suppose is this: within collision detectors particularly, I understand the exclusion of any given particle mass to be a result of no detected events in an apparatus which should be sensitive to the recoil energies caused the mass in question. However, I don't understand how the cross-sections (on the other axis of the exclusion plot) are ruled out.

Is it a case of, if a particle with mass (whatever)MeV and cross-section (whatever)cm should have been detected if present?

Or perhaps a case of varying the target nuclei (Ge, Xe, Si etc) and ruling out cross-sections that way?

Sorry if these questions are a bit silly! Thanks again.

frazzle said:
I'm still a little confused though. When we talk about the cross-section, we are referring to a cross-sectional area? Is this the cross-section of the incident particle or the target?
"Cross-section" is not an actual area. It just has the dimensions of area.
Operationally it is used as in my first equation.
N_seen=(N_incident per unit area)*(cross-section).
You should read a QM or Nuclear Physics text to get more about it.

frazzle said:
However, I don't understand how the cross-sections (on the other axis of the exclusion plot) are ruled out.
Some model is assumed to predict the number of particles entering the detector per unit area. Multiplying this by an assumed cross-section gives the number of partricles that would be observed if that were the cross-section.

Meir Achuz said:
Some model is assumed to predict the number of particles entering the detector per unit area. Multiplying this by an assumed cross-section gives the number of partricles that would be observed if that were the cross-section.

thankyou :)

Related to Exclusion plots and cross-section?

1. What are exclusion plots and cross-sections?

Exclusion plots and cross-sections are graphical representations of the relationship between the observed data and the theoretical predictions in a scientific experiment. They are often used in particle physics and other fields to determine the validity of a specific theory or model.

2. How are exclusion plots and cross-sections created?

Exclusion plots and cross-sections are created by comparing the observed data from an experiment with the predicted data from a theoretical model. The data is plotted on a graph, with the observed data points represented by data markers and the theoretical predictions represented by a curve or line. This allows scientists to visually compare the two sets of data and determine the level of agreement between them.

3. What do exclusion plots and cross-sections tell us?

Exclusion plots and cross-sections provide information about the validity of a specific theory or model. If the observed data and theoretical predictions are in good agreement, it suggests that the theory is a good representation of the data. However, if there is a significant discrepancy between the two, it may indicate that the theory needs to be revised or that there are other factors at play.

4. How are exclusion plots and cross-sections used in scientific research?

Exclusion plots and cross-sections are commonly used in particle physics and other fields to test the validity of theoretical models and to guide future research. They can also be used to compare different theories and determine which one best fits the observed data. Additionally, exclusion plots and cross-sections may be used to set limits on the properties of particles or to search for new particles or phenomena.

5. Are exclusion plots and cross-sections always accurate?

Exclusion plots and cross-sections are based on the available data and theoretical models, so they are subject to uncertainties and limitations. As such, they are not always completely accurate and should be interpreted with caution. It is important for scientists to continue refining and improving these plots as new data and theories become available.