Exchange force carrier between two protons

In summary, the virtual exchange particle between two electrons is the photon and this explains why they repel each other. The Z particle can also be considered a force carrier, like a photon, but there's a big difference -- the photon is massless, so the force field it produces (a Coulomb field) is long range, while the Z meson, on the other hand, is very massive, with a range equal to the Compton wavelength. The interaction between two electrons at this scale is dominated by other effects and so regarding the Z meson as having produced a force field is simply not a useful concept.
CAF123
Gold Member
I know that the virtual exchange particle between two electrons is the photon and this explains why they repel each other (ie virtual photon is spontaneously emitted from one electron A causing it to recoil. As the virtual photon hits electron B, it imparts momentum causing it to move away so that electron A and B move away in the opposite direction, as needed for conservation of momentum).

My question is can a Z particle also be the exchange carrier here because it too is neutral? I have the same question for the case of two protons.
Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123, You could regard the Z meson as a force carrier, like a photon, but there's a big difference -- the photon is massless, so the force field it produces (a Coulomb field) is long range, i.e. 1/r. The Z meson, on the other hand, is massive, very massive: 90 GeV. This means the force field it produces is short range (a Yukawa field), i.e. one that falls off exponentially, with a range equal to the Compton wavelength. The Compton wavelength of a 90 GeV particle is about .001 fermi, or 1/1000 the diameter of a proton.

Needless to say, at such a short range the interaction between two electrons (or two quarks) will be dominated by other effects, and so regarding the Z meson as having produced a force field is simply not a useful concept.
virtual photon is spontaneously emitted from one electron A causing it to recoil. As the virtual photon hits electron B, it imparts momentum causing it to move away so that electron A and B move away in the opposite direction
Might as well take this opportunity to point out that your attempt to visualize this interaction ignores its quantum nature. You're imagining that the momentum they exchange is in the same direction as the spatial separation between them. Therefore it appears to cause a repulsion. (And so, often we are asked next, then how can opposite charges possibly attract??) In fact, the interaction includes an integration over ALL momenta: forwards, backwards and sideways. The intensity of the interaction generates an effective potential, and the resulting force between the charges arises from the gradient of this potential.

I believe another reason is that the electromagnetic interaction at this scale is a lot stronger (order of [itex] 10^8 [/itex] ) than that of the weak interaction

Nope, this is false. If you're talking about the interaction between the W or Z meson and other particles, it is about the same strength as electromagnetism.

The weak interactions only appear weak, due to the large masses of the W and Z. In a beta decay, for example, the W is not directly observed. It's virtual, an intermediate product of the decay. And since the decay energy is so much less than the W mass, the W is far off the mass shell, and this reduces the decay rate.

They're not intrinsically weak, just short range.

CAF123 said:
I know that the virtual exchange particle between two electrons is the photon and this explains why they repel each other (ie virtual photon is spontaneously emitted from one electron A causing it to recoil. As the virtual photon hits electron B, it imparts momentum causing it to move away so that electron A and B move away in the opposite direction, as needed for conservation of momentum).

My question is can a Z particle also be the exchange carrier here because it too is neutral? I have the same question for the case of two protons.
Many thanks

Protons are made up of quarks, which transmit forces via photons (electromagnetism) and gluons (strong force) themselves.

Z bosons can't mediate the interaction between two electrons or protons due to their mass. That is, they have mass so they can't travel as far as photons or gluons (both massless), which is required for the force particles of electromagnetism.

Additionally, the EM force has been observed repeatedly to travel at the speed of light, something impossible for the Z (which has mass), a direct consequence of special relativity.

Related to Exchange force carrier between two protons

1. What is the exchange force carrier between two protons?

The exchange force carrier between two protons is a virtual particle known as a gluon. It is responsible for the strong nuclear force that binds protons and neutrons together in the nucleus of an atom.

2. How does the exchange force work between two protons?

The exchange force between two protons works through the exchange of gluons. As the protons get close to each other, they exchange virtual gluons which create a force that attracts them to each other. This force is responsible for the stability of the nucleus.

3. Can the exchange force between two protons be observed?

No, the exchange force between two protons cannot be directly observed. Gluons are virtual particles, which means they only exist for a very short amount of time and cannot be detected by any instruments.

4. Is the exchange force between two protons the strongest force in nature?

Yes, the exchange force between two protons is the strongest force in nature. It is about 10^38 times stronger than the force of gravity and is responsible for holding the nucleus together despite the repulsive forces between positively charged protons.

5. Can the exchange force between two protons be manipulated?

Yes, the exchange force between two protons can be manipulated through the use of high-energy particle accelerators. By colliding protons at high speeds, scientists can observe the effects of the exchange force and gain a better understanding of its properties.