Excellence On Obscure Instruments

In summary, this man records with a backup of four Stylophones but I feel this is going too far. He also has a keyboard player who paid a lot for it and has been offered a ridiculous amount to sell it. There are also new Moogs being produced, e.g. Moog One (and others here). The market for vintage synthesizers is very small and not well-covered on the Internet.
This is as cool as it gets.

Now I am cheating a little because you have more at your disposal in an orchestra, but this piece ticks a few boxes.

An interesting mix.

I assume the first instrument is a recorder, not too obscure, what is the second thing? (EDIT: I am going for Ocarina- also used in "Wild Thing" and I am sticking that in too) We also have tubular bells and wood clappers.

Last edited:
Likes DennisN
Science news on Phys.org
Peter Frampton (Show me the way), Black Sabbath (Iron man) and this. Talk box.

The Tesla coil is a bit of a cheat because it is essentially just a loudspeaker. It's not really an instrument.

Then again, we are discussing bagpipes - made by turning a sheep inside out and sounding like that too.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Ok, here are some more unusual/exotic instruments:

The ridiculously large vertical piano KLAVINS M450i:

(Native Instruments plugin "The Giant" uses samples from that piano model, link: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/keys/the-giant/)

Gamelan:

Sitar:

Played here in the intro to the awesome song Don't Come Around Here No More (song by Tom Petty):

..and in another awesome song:

The Beatles - Norwegian Wood

Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970
Now there's a real man's synthesizer.

Wendy-Carlos-at-her-Moog-Synthesizer.jpg

• Wow
Likes DennisN
Sackbuts and Cornetts:

(actually just one Cornett)

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Vox UL730 amplifier

Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was the first album I ever bought, way back when it was new. As it was the only one I had I listened maybe 500 times so the sound is engraved on my brain. One day much later I thought, I never again heard that wild electric guitar sound featured on the Sgt Pepper's theme. Hundreds of models of distortion units have come and gone but none of them the same. So I looked it up. Beatles fans are fanatical about the details of the recordings so the answer was easily found. It was the voice of the Vox UL730 amplifier. Fewer than a hundred were made and most were destroyed so it qualifies as a truly obscure instrument.

The problem was that most electric guitar players were (and still are) dedicated to tube amplifiers. The UL730 was a combination of tubes with solid state, so even the minority that prefered undistorted solid state wouldn't buy it either. No one save The Beatles would touch it. Or maybe because a UL730 has such an extreme brain-frying sound. A little goes a long way. I wouldn't want to hear that all day.

Nowadays as far as I know rock guitar players are keeping tube factories going. Think of how difficult those things are to make. Sooner or later it will be possible to duplicate the sound with electronics, they are slowly getting closer, but after fifty years this has yet to happen.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
Chapman Stick:

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and Hornbein
Launchpad

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
This guy is my favourite guitar player and he played Lute also.

Jan Akerman from Focus.

Likes Hornbein
Hornbein said:
Nowadays as far as I know rock guitar players are keeping tube factories going.
Yes.

And there are more markets for tubes too:
  • tube preamplifiers for vocals, e.g. this one which I've used myself
  • tube preamplifiers/amplifiers for Hifi usage, example here

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970
This is a slightly different definition of "obscure".

The instrument is a flugelhorn, which is not that obscure: there are probably thousands (but probably not tens of thousands) in the US, But this is a Benge #5. This instrument has a fabulous sound, and horrific intonation. It's not just out of tune with respect to the band - it's out of tune with respect to itself. Lou Duda, one of the craftsmen who built the horn called it "a nmistake". Controlling the intonation has been described as like wrestling one or more trained seals.

To add to the fun, the physics of the trumpet family is such that notes played with fingerings including the 3rd balve run sharp. So the third valve slide can be extended to afjust. But not this horn! That would spoil the fun.

But this guy, whoever he is, just nailed it.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, Hornbein and DennisN
Vanadium 50 said:
This is a slightly different definition of "obscure".

The instrument is a flugelhorn, which is not that obscure: there are probably thousand (but probably not tens of thousands) in the US, But this is a Benge #5. This instrument has a fabulous sound, and horrific intonation. It's not just out of tune with respect to the band - it's out of tune with respect to itself. Lou Duda, one of the craftsmen who built the horn called it "a nmistake". Controlling the intonation has been described as liek wrestling on e or more trained seals.

To add to the fun, the physics of the trumpet family is such that notes played with fingerings including the 3rd balve run sharp. So the third valve slide can be extended to afjust. But not this horn! That would spoil the fun.

But this guy, whoever he is, just nailed it.

I listen to a lot of jazz so it sounds normal (and very nice) to me.

Soprano saxes are naturally out of tune but with effort you can learn to compensate. Dave Liebman would play into a strobe tuner for a couple of hours every day. He was a big believer in boring practice. John Coltrane didn't do that so I avoid his soprano sax.

The Delta bluesmen played out of tune but it sounds pretty cool. By the way, there is Vietnamese folk music that sounds just like that.

In some countries like India and Japan Western music has taken over completely. Others like Vietnam and Indonesia the original is still the greatest. Burma has both. They had a law against Western music so you'd hear Van Halen with overdubbed singer in Burmese.

Likes pinball1970
Hammer Dulcimer

Back in the Cambridge Massachusetts of 1979 I heard someone playing hammer dulcimer on the sidewalk. I thought it was great. I made sure to remember his name.

He still plays it but gained his fame as a singer/songwriter in the Pete Seeger vein.

Jamie Janover also plays hammer dulcimer but had to resort to backing up a rapper. Most people don't go for this instrument. A crackpot in Hawaii gained the trust of a rich person and had money. Jamie became one of his disciples and gave lectures.

The hammer dulcimer was invented in Iran. Someone playing this became quite famous in seventeenth century Europe, which inspired the invention of the pianoforte.

Hornbein said:
Soprano saxes are naturally out of tune
How do you get two soprano saxes to play in tune together?
--- Shoot one.

In the last few decades they have gotten a lot better. This seems coincident with the popularity of straight designs. I don;t know if straight is intrinsically better, or market forces drove this, or newer models, which just happened to be straight were better, or, or, or... Lots of possibilities.

A quick check seems to suggest curved sopranos are still out of favor - yourt choices are cheap Chinese junk or the ultra-expensive custom jobs.

But as bad as a soprano is, the Benge #5 was worse. They go from player to player, each one saying "those other guys struggled, but surely I can make it work" AAnd then a year later it's off to a new home.

Lots of people want one, but in the words of Mr. Spock "After a time you may find that 'having' is not as pleasing a thing as 'wanting.

Likes BillTre
Angklung

Likes BillTre
Glass Harmonica

• Love
Likes dlgoff, Vanadium 50 and BillTre
If we're going to do Bach, the ultimate in irony would be Sheep May Safeky Graze...on the bagpipes.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
Malfunctioning Appliances

Toploading Washing Machine

Air Conditioner et al

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970
Pan pipes

It doesn't look real, but it appears that it is. It's from Romania.

Remember SNL's Zambeer, Master of the Brew Flute?

Hornbein said:
Glass Harmonica

I know this is tricky but there are wrong notes 125 ISH. Makes it sound major

Gibberish

This song was a hit in Italy circa 1973.

Still going strong in 2012.

Someone named Bernardo wrote "I was at a concert in Italy in 1973. The singer called out in English, 'you probably don't understand a word I'm saying.' The crowd went wild!"

In related news, when Bandmaid played Mexico City the audience sang along in Japanese. The global village has arrived.

Last edited:
Gayageum

Guzheng

Mongolian Viola de Gamba

Xylophone

Lap steel

It's an abridged copy of a Dickie Betts solo. Better than the orig, if you ask me.

Last edited:
Piccolo/vibraphone/clarinet combo

Bass balalaika. Pretty cool sound. A lot like a tuba.

Vanadium 50 said:
Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone is better with a singing frog.

But if you want obscure instruments, let me present the floppy drive array:

Man, and I thought I was wasting my time with my amateurish geekery! I stand corrected! :P

When you can snatch the SD Card from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Not my cup of tea, but that long thing sure is eyecatching.

Dombra

I love Ulytau. Best odd time music ever, if you ask me. Pride of Kazakhstan. Last I checked they are still around but it isn't the same.