Examples of martingales that oscillate between finite values infinitely often.

• Thread starter meiji1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finite
In summary, the problem is to find a martingale (X_n, (\mathcal{F}_n)_{n=0}^\infty, P) such that P(X_n = a \mbox{ } i.o.) = 1 for a = -1, 0, 1 and sup_n X_n < \infty, where i.o. means infinitely often. This can be achieved by constructing a finite state Markov chain / martingale, which involves choosing an integer-valued X_0 with specific distribution and then defining the conditional distributions for subsequent X_n to satisfy the martingale relation. This approach may seem unworkable at first, but it can be successful if the values of
meiji1

Homework Statement

Find an example of a martingale [tex] (X_n, (\mathcal{F}_n)_{n=0}^\infty, P) [/tex] such that [tex] P(X_n = a \mbox{ } i.o.) = 1 [/tex] for [tex] a = -1, 0, 1 [/tex] and
[tex] sup_n X_n < \infty [/tex]. (i.o. = infinitely often)

Homework Equations

We must have [tex] sup_n X_n < \infty [/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made a number of attempts at very different sorts of solutions. The most straightforward construction consists of the following steps:

1) Choose an integer-valued [tex] X_0 [/tex] with distribution [tex] P(X_0 = k) = 2^{-k}[/tex] for each [tex] k \in \mathbb{N} [/tex].

2) For [tex] X_1 [/tex], take the conditional distribution to be

[tex] P(X_1 = a | X_0 = k) = \frac{1}{3k} [/tex]

for each [tex]a \in \{-1,0,1\}[/tex] and decide the remaining parts of the conditional distribution to satisfy the martingale relation

[tex]
E(X_1 | \mathcal{F}_0)|_{\{X_0 = k\}} = \sum_{m = -1}^k mP(X_1 = m | X_0 = k) = k
[/tex]

so that all values assumed by [tex]X_1[/tex] are bounded in absolute value by [tex]X_0[/tex]. For subsequent [tex] X_n [/tex], the same approach is assumed, but with conditioning on [tex] X_0 [/tex], so that [tex] sup_n X_n < \infty [/tex] is maintained.

First of all, I don't think this approach can possibly work, since it seems we would always have [tex] sup_n EX_n^{+} < \infty [/tex], which implies convergence to a finite limit almost surely, by the Martingale Convergence Theorem. If we were to circumvent that, we'd end up with [tex] E|X_n| = \infty [/tex], in which case we no longer have a martingale.

I'm told this problem can be solved with a finite state Markov chain / martingale, which is similar to the unworkable approach I took above.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would like to know how one might construct such a finite state Markov chain / martingale. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Examples of martingales that oscillate between finite values infinitely often.

1. What is a martingale?

A martingale is a mathematical concept used in probability theory and stochastic processes. It is a sequence of random variables that follows a specific set of properties, including the property of being a fair game.

2. How does a martingale oscillate between finite values?

A martingale can oscillate between finite values if the sequence of random variables has a tendency to move towards a certain value, but then reverses and moves towards a different value. This behavior can continue infinitely often, resulting in an oscillating pattern.

3. Can you give an example of a martingale that oscillates between finite values infinitely often?

Yes, one example is the simple random walk on a line. In this scenario, a person starts at point zero and takes steps either left or right, with equal probability. The position of the person after each step can be represented by a random variable, and the sequence of these random variables forms a martingale that oscillates between finite values infinitely often.

4. What are the applications of martingales that oscillate between finite values?

Martingales that oscillate between finite values have various applications in finance, economics, and other fields that involve random processes. They can be used to model stock prices, interest rates, and other financial variables that exhibit oscillating behavior.

5. Are there any risks associated with using martingales that oscillate between finite values?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with using martingales that oscillate between finite values. These include the risk of overestimating potential gains or underestimating potential losses, as well as the risk of making incorrect assumptions about the underlying random process.