Exam question problem: moments

In summary, the homework statement asks for the weight of a workman. The Attempt at a Solution provides an equation for the torque of a man and a segment of a board. The relevant equation states that the torque of the man plus his segment of the board and the torque of the rest of the board must be equal. After solving for W, the weight of the workman is 600 N or 730 N.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

I am having problem calculating this question. I even looked at the answer sheet and worked back, which gave me some luck, but still do not fully grasp the question.(i) Calculate the weight W of the workman.

Homework Equations

moment clockwise = moment anticlockwise

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt pre look at question: I did 0.20-0.03= 0.17, 0.20+0.03= 0.23 so far so good.
I the did 0.20+0.50=0.70 so middle Q which then gave me 0.67 and 0.73. I then took the W*0.17=160*0.73.

But when I looked at the answer I got the first part right but the second part wrong. Do I have to include R and S into the equation? I would appreciate the help if possible.

Also here is what the answer says: W × 0.17/0.20/0.23 = 160 × 0.72/0.75/0.78
W × 0.17 = 160 × 0.78 or 600 N
730/734 N

I really can't see where the 0.72 ect come from unless you included distance from R S but the weight is in the middle.

Attachments

• physics form 1.jpg
    physics form 1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 497
  • physics form 2.jpg
    physics form 2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing to do, for this and all problems, is to solve it symbolically; forget there are numbers until the very last step. You'll never learn the physics if you plug in numbers from the beginning.

Second, your "relevant equation" is not only ambiguous (what moment are you talking about), it is wrong. The system is in equilibrium, so the net force is zero and the net torque is also zero. That is your starting point. Write down those equations, then solve for W.

tms said:
The first thing to do, for this and all problems, is to solve it symbolically; forget there are numbers until the very last step. You'll never learn the physics if you plug in numbers from the beginning.

Second, your "relevant equation" is not only ambiguous (what moment are you talking about), it is wrong. The system is in equilibrium, so the net force is zero and the net torque is also zero. That is your starting point. Write down those equations, then solve for W.

could you please expand, I really can't see where you are coming from. I have looked in my study books and the point me in the directions of levers and moments.

The torque of the man plus his segment of the board and the torque of the rest of the board must be equal. Recall that [itex]\mathbf\tau = \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{F}[/itex]. Since the angles of both torques are 90 degrees, this reduces to [itex]\tau = rF[/itex].

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with this question. Moments can be a tricky concept to grasp, but I'm here to help you understand it better.

First, let's start by defining what a moment is. A moment is a turning force caused by a force acting at a distance from a pivot point. In this question, the pivot point is the middle of the beam, and the forces acting on it are the weight of the workman and the weight of the beam itself.

Now, let's break down the steps to solve this question:

1. Draw a diagram: Drawing a diagram can help you visualize the problem better. Draw a beam with two forces acting on it - the weight of the workman (W) and the weight of the beam (B).

2. Identify the pivot point: As mentioned earlier, the pivot point is the middle of the beam.

3. Set up the equation: The key to solving this problem is understanding that the sum of the clockwise moments is equal to the sum of the anticlockwise moments. This is known as the principle of moments. So, we can set up the equation as follows:

(W*0.17) = (B*0.03) + (B*0.23)

4. Solve for W: Now, we have one equation and one unknown (W). We can solve for W by rearranging the equation as follows:

W = (B*0.03 + B*0.23)/0.17

5. Substitute values: We can now substitute the values given in the question: B = 160 N and W = 600 N. This gives us:

600 = (160*0.03 + 160*0.23)/0.17

6. Solve for B: We can now solve for B by rearranging the equation as follows:

B = (600*0.17)/0.3 = 340 N

Therefore, the weight of the workman is 600 N and the weight of the beam is 340 N.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of moments better. Remember, drawing a diagram and setting up the equation correctly are key to solving any moment problem. Keep practicing and you will get the hang of it.

Best of luck with your studies!

Sincerely,

Related to Exam question problem: moments

1. What is the concept of moments in physics?

The concept of moments in physics refers to the turning effect of a force around a fixed point or axis. It is a measure of the tendency of a force to rotate an object.

2. How do you calculate moments?

Moments can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of a force by the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. This is known as the moment arm or lever arm.

3. What are the units of moments?

The units of moments are Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI (International System of Units) and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in rotational equilibrium, the sum of clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of anticlockwise moments about any point. This is also known as the Law of Equilibrium.

5. How are moments used in real-life applications?

Moments are used in various real-life applications, such as in designing structures, calculating torque in machines, and understanding the stability of objects. They are also important in fields like engineering, architecture, and biomechanics.