Exact Sequences - D&F Section 10.5, Proposition 27

In summary: Hom}_R(D,L)$ (that is, show it is $R$-linear).So you must verify that:$\psi'(f_1 + f_2) = \psi'(f_1) + \psi'(f_2)$.The addition on the left takes place in $\text{Hom}_R(D,L)$, the addition on the right takes place in $\text{Hom}_R(D,M)$.First, we might want to show explicitly, that $\psi'(f) = \psi \circ f$ is actually IN $\text{Hom}_R(D,M)$.To do this, pick
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Section 10.5 Exact Sequences - Projective, Injective and Flat Modules.

I need some help in understanding D&F's proof of Proposition 27, Section 10.5, page 386 (see attachment).

Proposition 27 reads as follows: (see attachment)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let D, L and M be R-modules and let

\(\displaystyle \psi \ : \ L \to M \)

be an R-module homomorphism.

Then the map

\(\displaystyle {\psi}' \ : \ Hom_R (D, L) \to Hom_R (D, M) \)

where \(\displaystyle f \to f' = \psi \circ f \)

is a homomorphism of abelian groups. ... ...

... ... ... "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

D&F start their proof of the proposition as follows:

"The fact that \(\displaystyle {\psi}' \) is a homomorphism is immediate. ... ... "Can someone please help me formulate an explicit, formal and rigorous proof of this proposition (however short and obvious it is!).
My tentative thoughts are as follows:

\(\displaystyle {\psi}' \ : \ f \to f' \) is a homomorphism

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow {\psi}' (f_1 \circ f_2) = {\psi}' (f_1) \cdot {\psi}' (f_2) \)

(where \(\displaystyle \circ \) and \(\displaystyle \cdot \) are both the operation of composition of functions)

Now \(\displaystyle {\psi}' (f_1 \circ f_2) = \psi \circ (f_1 \circ f_2) \)

Then I want to write:

\(\displaystyle \psi \circ (f_1 \circ f_2) = ( \psi \circ f_1 ) \circ ( \psi \circ f_2 ) \)

but what would be the justification for this step?

... ... can some please help me in the task of formulating a rigorous proof?

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Dummit and Foote Section 10.5 Exact Sequences - Projective, Injective and Flat Modules.

I need some help in understanding D&F's proof of Proposition 27, Section 10.5, page 386 (see attachment).

Proposition 27 reads as follows: (see attachment)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let D, L and M be R-modules and let

\(\displaystyle \psi \ : \ L \to M \)

be an R-module homomorphism.

Then the map

is a homomorphism of abelian groups. ... ...

... ... ... "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

D&F start their proof of the proposition as follows:

"The fact that \(\displaystyle {\psi}' \) is a homomorphism is immediate. ... ... "Can someone please help me formulate an explicit, formal and rigorous proof of this proposition (however short and obvious it is!).
My tentative thoughts are as follows:

\(\displaystyle {\psi}' \ : \ f \to f' \) is a homomorphism

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow {\psi}' (f_1 \circ f_2) = {\psi}' (f_1) \cdot {\psi}' (f_2) \)

(where \(\displaystyle \circ \) and \(\displaystyle \cdot \) are both the operation of composition of functions)

Now \(\displaystyle {\psi}' (f_1 \circ f_2) = \psi \circ (f_1 \circ f_2) \)

Then I want to write:

\(\displaystyle \psi \circ (f_1 \circ f_2) = ( \psi \circ f_1 ) \circ ( \psi \circ f_2 ) \)

but what would be the justification for this step?

... ... can some please help me in the task of formulating a rigorous proof?

Peter

I think I have clarified my thinking ... hopefully someone will confirm this is the case ...

I began wondering about the operation between elements in the abelian group \(\displaystyle Hom_R (D,L) \) ... it is necessary to have this clear when considering the map

as a homomorphism.

So, basically when we consider the defining equation of a group homomorphism in this case - visually:

\(\displaystyle {\psi}' (f_1 \circ f_2) = {\psi}' (f_1) \cdot {\psi}' (f_2) \)

we need to examine the binary operation in the abelian group \(\displaystyle Hom_R (D,L) \) and following D&F Proposition 2, Section 10.2 we have, given two elements \(\displaystyle f_1 \text{ and } f_2 \in Hom_R (D,L) \):

\(\displaystyle (f_1 +_D f_2) (d) = f_1(d) +_L f_2 (d) \text{ for all } d \in D \)

So when considering \(\displaystyle {\psi}' \) we should write:

\(\displaystyle {\psi}' \) is a homomorphism

\(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow {\psi}' (f_1 +_D f_2) = {\psi}' (f_1) +_L {\psi}' (f_2) \)

Now we have

\(\displaystyle {\psi}' (f_1 +_D f_2) = \psi \circ ( f_1 +_D f_2) \)

Can someone confirm that this revision in my thinking is correct?

I now wish to proceed to say that:

\(\displaystyle \psi \circ ( f_1 +_D f_2) = (\psi \circ f_1) +_M (\psi \circ f_1) = {\psi}' (f_1) +_M {\psi}' (f_2) \)

But how do I justify this step - maybe I have to examine functional values? Can someone please help?

Peter

The operation in $\text{Hom}_R(D,L)$ is "pointwise addition" that is:

$(f_1 + f_2)(d) = f_1(d) +_L f_2(d)$ for $f_1,f_2 \in \text{Hom}_R(D,L), d \in D$.

(the addition in $\text{Hom}_R(D,L)$ takes place in that group, NOT in $D$).

The only time "addition in $D$" comes into the picture is when we verify that $f_1 + f_2$ is indeed a member of $\text{Hom}_R(D,L)$ (that is, show it is $R$-linear).

So you must verify that:

$\psi'(f_1 + f_2) = \psi'(f_1) + \psi'(f_2)$.

The addition on the left takes place in $\text{Hom}_R(D,L)$, the addition on the right takes place in $\text{Hom}_R(D,M)$.

First, we might want to show explicitly, that $\psi'(f) = \psi \circ f$ is actually IN $\text{Hom}_R(D,M)$.

To do this, pick any two arbitrary elements $d_1,d_2 \in D$ with $r$ any element of $R$.

Then:

$\psi'(f)(d_1 +_D d_2) = \psi(f(d_1 +_D d_2)) = \psi(f(d_1) +_L f(d_2))$

$ = \psi(f(d_1)) +_M \psi(f(d_2)) = \psi'(f)(d_1) +_M \psi'(f)(d_2)$

so $\psi'(f)$ is certainly an additive map ( that is, is in $\text{Hom}_{\ \Bbb Z}(D,M)$).

and furthermore:

$\psi'(f)(r\cdot d_1) = \psi(f(r\cdot d_1)) = \psi(r\cdot f(d_1))$

$= r\cdot \psi(f(d_1)) = r \cdot (\psi'(f)(d_1))$, so $\psi'(f)$ is $R$-linear.

Now show that for any $d \in D$ that:

$\psi'(f_1 + f_2)(d) = \psi'(f_1)(d) + \psi'(f_2)(d)$

(this equality takes place in $M$), which will show that:

$\psi'(f_1 + f_2)$ and $\psi'(f_1) + \psi'(f_2)$ are the same element of $\text{Hom}_R(D,M)$.

(This is quite straight-forward, everything goes through as you would expect).

Deveno said:
The operation in $\text{Hom}_R(D,L)$ is "pointwise addition" that is:

$(f_1 + f_2)(d) = f_1(d) +_L f_2(d)$ for $f_1,f_2 \in \text{Hom}_R(D,L), d \in D$.

(the addition in $\text{Hom}_R(D,L)$ takes place in that group, NOT in $D$).

The only time "addition in $D$" comes into the picture is when we verify that $f_1 + f_2$ is indeed a member of $\text{Hom}_R(D,L)$ (that is, show it is $R$-linear).

So you must verify that:

$\psi'(f_1 + f_2) = \psi'(f_1) + \psi'(f_2)$.

The addition on the left takes place in $\text{Hom}_R(D,L)$, the addition on the right takes place in $\text{Hom}_R(D,M)$.

First, we might want to show explicitly, that $\psi'(f) = \psi \circ f$ is actually IN $\text{Hom}_R(D,M)$.

To do this, pick any two arbitrary elements $d_1,d_2 \in D$ with $r$ any element of $R$.

Then:

$\psi'(f)(d_1 +_D d_2) = \psi(f(d_1 +_D d_2)) = \psi(f(d_1) +_L f(d_2))$

$ = \psi(f(d_1)) +_M \psi(f(d_2)) = \psi'(f)(d_1) +_M \psi'(f)(d_2)$

so $\psi'(f)$ is certainly an additive map ( that is, is in $\text{Hom}_{\ \Bbb Z}(D,M)$).

and furthermore:

$\psi'(f)(r\cdot d_1) = \psi(f(r\cdot d_1)) = \psi(r\cdot f(d_1))$

$= r\cdot \psi(f(d_1)) = r \cdot (\psi'(f)(d_1))$, so $\psi'(f)$ is $R$-linear.

Now show that for any $d \in D$ that:

$\psi'(f_1 + f_2)(d) = \psi'(f_1)(d) + \psi'(f_2)(d)$

(this equality takes place in $M$), which will show that:

$\psi'(f_1 + f_2)$ and $\psi'(f_1) + \psi'(f_2)$ are the same element of $\text{Hom}_R(D,M)$.

(This is quite straight-forward, everything goes through as you would expect).

Thanks for a really clear and helpful post, Deveno

Appreciate the help,

Peter

Dear Peter,

Thank you for reaching out for help with understanding the proof of Proposition 27 in Dummit and Foote's Section 10.5. I can certainly provide a formal and rigorous proof of this proposition to aid in your understanding.

Proof:

Let D, L and M be R-modules and let \psi \ : \ L \to M be an R-module homomorphism. We want to show that the map {\psi}' \ : \ Hom_R (D, L) \to Hom_R (D, M) defined by f \to f' = \psi \circ f is a homomorphism of abelian groups.

To show that {\psi}' is a homomorphism, we need to show that it preserves the group structure, i.e. for any f_1, f_2 \in Hom_R (D, L), we have {\psi}' (f_1 + f_2) = {\psi}' (f_1) + {\psi}' (f_2).

Now, for any f_1, f_2 \in Hom_R (D, L), we have:

{\psi}' (f_1 + f_2) = \psi \circ (f_1 + f_2) (definition of {\psi}')
= \psi (f_1 + f_2) (composition of functions)
= \psi (f_1) + \psi (f_2) (since \psi is a homomorphism)
= {\psi}' (f_1) + {\psi}' (f_2) (definition of {\psi}')

Thus, {\psi}' preserves the group structure and is therefore a homomorphism of abelian groups.

I hope this helps clarify the proof of Proposition 27 for you. If you have any further questions or need additional clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Related to Exact Sequences - D&F Section 10.5, Proposition 27

1. What is an exact sequence in mathematics?

An exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects (such as groups, rings, or modules) and homomorphisms between them, where the image of one homomorphism is equal to the kernel of the next homomorphism. This means that the composition of any two consecutive homomorphisms in the sequence results in the trivial group (or ring or module).

2. How is an exact sequence useful in mathematics?

An exact sequence allows us to study the relationship between different mathematical objects and how they are connected through homomorphisms. It also helps us to understand the structure of these objects and their properties.

3. Can you provide an example of an exact sequence?

One example of an exact sequence is the sequence of abelian groups: 0 → ℤ/2ℤ → ℤ/4ℤ → ℤ/2ℤ → 0, where the first homomorphism is the inclusion map from ℤ/2ℤ to ℤ/4ℤ, the second homomorphism is the multiplication by 2 map from ℤ/4ℤ to ℤ/2ℤ, and the third homomorphism is the natural projection map from ℤ/2ℤ to 0.

4. What is Proposition 27 in D&F Section 10.5 about?

Proposition 27 in D&F Section 10.5 states that if we have an exact sequence of modules M → N → P → 0, then there exists a module M' such that M → M' → N → P → 0 is also an exact sequence. In other words, we can insert a new module M' between M and N without changing the exactness of the sequence.

5. How can Proposition 27 be applied in practice?

Proposition 27 can be applied in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, topology, and number theory. It allows us to manipulate exact sequences and construct new ones to study the properties of mathematical objects. It also has applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory.