Evolutionary reason for 3-D extrapolation

In summary, humans have the innate ability to extrapolate 3-dimensional images from 2-dimensional images because the world we see is a projection of 3D information onto a 2D plane. This ability is useful for problem solving and for creating paintings and computer-generated 3D.
hankaaron
Can anyone explain why we humans have the innate ability to extrapolate 3-dimensional images from 2-dimensional images. I am not interested in how it works (i.e., how the brain accomplishes this feat). Instead, I would like to know why it was so important in the evolutionary process. In other words, there must have been some advantages for using this process, millions of years before the first image was drawn.

Thanks,
hankaaron.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Depth perception is the ability to relate objects in the z (or depth) axis. What I mean is our ability to look at a movie, for instance, and perceive it as 3 dimensional. What is the evolutionary reason for us to be able to do this?

Er... because that is how the real world looks...? It's sort of useful when planning, for one.

I don't believe this was in any sense "evolutionary". Exactly how long has it been since there were any two dimensional representations of three dimensions? Certainly no longer that people have been drawing two dimensional pictures!

That is only an eye-blink in evolutionary terms. I suspect it is more what tubbaBlubba suggests- that because we are used to seeing in three dimensions, we automatically try to make two dimensional pictures fit 3 dimensions- even when they do NOT represent any three dimensional object.

HallsofIvy said:
I don't believe this was in any sense "evolutionary". Exactly how long has it been since there were any two dimensional representations of three dimensions? Certainly no longer that people have been drawing two dimensional pictures!

That is only an eye-blink in evolutionary terms. I suspect it is more what tubbaBlubba suggests- that because we are used to seeing in three dimensions, we automatically try to make two dimensional pictures fit 3 dimensions- even when they do NOT represent any three dimensional object.

That is exactly the point I am trying to make. Evolutionist believe that we don't just automatically have these abilities. I was reading an article today featuring leading scientists on human evolution. The theory was proposed that dreaming is an evolutionary process and that it came about as a necessity for problem solving (interesting article on its own). I am simply extending that theory to 2D/3D extrapolation.

There is a particular reason why I am interested in this question as it involves particle wave duality in QM.

Thanks for the replies.
hankaaron.

Because your eye produces a 2D image. It doesn't care if the original is 2D or 3D, your brain receives a 2D image.

You do have depth perception to aid you, but depth perception only works up to a certain distance, so you need ability to interpret depth from other cues, primarily shade and parallax. Since parallax is only important when you move relative to image, if you sit still, shade is sufficient to fool your brain, and that's used in creation of paintings and computer-generated 3D.

Extrapolating 3D information from 2D Images is what your eye does.

The world you see is 3D information being projected onto the (practically) 2D Plane of your eyes. Everything you see is a shadow of the real world, but once you've seen enough shadows you can construct a pretty good idea of what is actually going on.

So when you look at a photograph you are just seeing 3D information being projected on a 2D plane (a photo) and then projected again onto a 2D Plane.

Last edited:

Related to Evolutionary reason for 3-D extrapolation

1. What is the evolutionary reason for the ability to extrapolate in 3-D?

In order to survive and thrive, organisms must be able to navigate and interact with their environment. The ability to extrapolate in 3-D allows organisms to accurately perceive their surroundings and make quick decisions based on spatial relationships, such as avoiding obstacles and finding food or shelter.

2. How does the brain develop the ability to extrapolate in 3-D?

The ability to extrapolate in 3-D is a complex cognitive process that involves the integration of visual, spatial, and motor information within the brain. This ability develops over time through experiences and learning, as the brain creates and strengthens neural connections related to 3-D perception and spatial reasoning.

3. Is the ability to extrapolate in 3-D unique to humans?

No, the ability to extrapolate in 3-D is not unique to humans. Many animals, such as primates, birds, and even insects, have been observed to possess this ability. However, the level of complexity and accuracy in 3-D extrapolation may vary among different species.

4. What are the benefits of the evolutionary development of 3-D extrapolation?

The ability to extrapolate in 3-D provides numerous benefits for survival and adaptation in various environments. It allows organisms to accurately judge distances, perceive depth, and make quick decisions based on spatial relationships. This ability also plays a crucial role in activities such as hunting, foraging, and social interactions.

5. Are there any limitations to the ability to extrapolate in 3-D?

While the ability to extrapolate in 3-D is highly advantageous, it also has its limitations. The accuracy and precision of 3-D extrapolation may vary among individuals and can be affected by factors such as age, experience, and cognitive abilities. Additionally, certain visual impairments or brain injuries can also impact an organism's ability to extrapolate in 3-D.