Ever Thought of Quitting Your PhD?

• Thread starter Casco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation discusses the common feeling of wanting to give up and leave behind one's degree, particularly for PhD students. It is acknowledged that this feeling is common and that it is important to seek guidance from an advisor and face challenges in order to truly earn a degree.
Casco
Have you ever felt like you want to throw everything away? I'm mean, for those of you who are PhD's, have you ever felt like just leaving you degree and go and do something else?

Would be nice to hear some good reflections.

Physics news on Phys.org
Casco said:
Have you ever felt like you want to throw everything away?
Yes, I have. But then I have had to go over places to collect them all back.

I'm mean, for those of you who are PhD's, have you ever felt like just leaving you degree and go and do something else?
Consult your adviser about your problems. This is common among ALL students. There should always be challenges to qualify your capability, skills before people offer you a degree.

Related to Ever Thought of Quitting Your PhD?

What are some common reasons for scientists wanting to leave the field?

There are a variety of reasons why scientists may consider leaving the field, including burnout, lack of funding or resources, limited career advancement opportunities, and feeling undervalued or unrecognized for their work.

How can I determine if leaving science is the right decision for me?

It is important to carefully consider your motivations and assess your personal goals and values. It may also be helpful to seek advice from mentors or colleagues and explore alternative career paths within the scientific field.

What steps can I take to make a smooth transition out of science?

Some steps you can take include networking and building connections outside of academia, gaining new skills or qualifications through courses or internships, and seeking guidance from career counselors or coaches.

What are some alternative career options for scientists?

Scientists have a range of skills that are transferable to various industries, such as data analysis, critical thinking, and project management. Some alternative career options for scientists include science communication, consulting, patent law, and policy-making.

Is it possible to return to science after leaving?

Yes, it is possible to return to science after leaving. Many scientists take breaks from their careers for various reasons and are able to re-enter the field with new perspectives and experiences. It may require additional education or training, but it is certainly achievable.