Evaluation of definite integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the integral int(-inf,inf)(x/(x^3+1)). The participants consider different approaches, such as finding the residues and using a contour integral. However, there is uncertainty about how to handle the singularity at -1 on the real line. It is suggested to check if the integral actually exists/converges before worrying about contours. In the end, it is noted that the integral is not convergent and cannot be evaluated using the given methods.
NT123

Homework Statement

Need to evaluate int(-inf,inf)(x/(x^3+1)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't believe finding the residues will be a problem. However, the integral is over the whole real line, and there is a singularity at -1 on the real line, so I'm not sure how to draw an appropriate contour to integrate around. Am I supposed to integrate over a keyhole contour avoiding the singularity at -1 from the right and then from the left? Any help / advice will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to check if the integral actually exists/converges before worrying about contours.

gabbagabbahey said:
You might want to check if the integral actually exists/converges before worrying about contours.

My book says it is equal to pi/sqrt(3) :)

NT123 said:
My book says it is equal to pi/sqrt(3) :)

Hmm...

[tex]\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \left[\int_{-\infty}^{-1-\epsilon} \frac{x}{x^3+1}dx+\int^{\infty}_{-1+\epsilon} \frac{x}{x^3+1}dx\right]=\frac{\pi}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

But, I don't think you can say that is the same thing as [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x}{x^3+1}dx[/itex]. Mathematica seems to agree with me, that the integral doesn't converge. I don't think [itex]x=-1[/itex] is a removable singularity.

Yeah... MATLAB seems to say the same thing.

Related to Evaluation of definite integral

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used to find the area under a curve between two points on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is calculated by evaluating the function at those two points and taking the difference between them.

2. How is the definite integral different from the indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, which means that it is calculated for a specific interval on the graph. On the other hand, an indefinite integral does not have any limits of integration and represents the general antiderivative of a function.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a definite integral?

Evaluating a definite integral allows us to find the exact area under a curve, which has many real-world applications. It can also be used to calculate displacement, velocity, and acceleration in physics and to find probabilities in statistics.

4. What are the different methods for evaluating a definite integral?

There are several methods for evaluating a definite integral, including the Riemann sum, the Trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. These methods use different approximations to calculate the area under the curve.

5. Can a definite integral have a negative value?

Yes, a definite integral can have a negative value. This occurs when the function being integrated has negative values within the given interval, which results in the area under the curve being subtracted from the total area.