Evaluating Trigonometric Integral

In summary, the integration is done correctly using u-substitution and the bounds are changed to evaluate the integral from 0 to 1. However, there was a mistake in the calculation of ##u^3##, which should be ##u^2## instead. The correct answer is 16/35.
jdawg

Homework Statement

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]0 sin7y dy
The bounds are from [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] to 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I did the integration correctly, but I don't really know how to evaluate this.

[itex]\int[/itex]siny(sin2y)3 dy
[itex]\int[/itex]siny(1-cos2y)3 dy
u=cosy
du=-siny dy

-[itex]\int[/itex](1-u2)3 du
-[itex]\int[/itex](-u6+3u4-3u3+1) du

[itex]\frac{u7}{7}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{3u5}{5}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{3u4}{4}[/itex]-u

[itex]\frac{cos7y}{7}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{3cos5y}{5}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{3cos4y}{4}[/itex]-cosy

I'm a little rusty on my trig! Please help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]0 sin7y dy
The bounds are from [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] to 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I did the integration correctly, but I don't really know how to evaluate this.

[itex]\int[/itex]siny(sin2y)3 dy
[itex]\int[/itex]siny(1-cos2y)3 dy
u=cosy
du=-siny dy

-[itex]\int[/itex](1-u2)3 du
-[itex]\int[/itex](-u6+3u4-3u3+1) du

[itex]\frac{u7}{7}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{3u5}{5}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{3u4}{4}[/itex]-u

[itex]\frac{cos7y}{7}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{3cos5y}{5}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{3cos4y}{4}[/itex]-cosy

I'm a little rusty on my trig! Please help :)

No the bounds are not from ##\pi/2## to 0, they are from 0 to ##\pi/2##. Anyway, you have the right idea; you just need to figure out the bounds after the u-substitution; that is, what are ##a## and ##b## in
[tex] \int_0^{\pi/2} \sin^7 y \: dy = -\int_a^b (1-u^2)^3 \, du?[/tex]

Oops! That's what I meant. Haha thanks, I guess it would be a lot easier to just change the bounds.

Hey! I ran into another problem, I changed the bounds to 1 to 0:

-∫ (-u6+3u4-3u3+1) du

Then I flipped the bounds to 0 to 1 and changed the sign on the integral:

∫(-u6+3u4-3u3+1) du

Then I plugged in my bounds and got 99/140, but the answer in the back of the book is 16/35. I'm having trouble figuring out what I did wrong.

jdawg said:
Hey! I ran into another problem, I changed the bounds to 1 to 0:

-∫ (-u6+3u4-3u3+1) du

Then I flipped the bounds to 0 to 1 and changed the sign on the integral:

∫(-u6+3u4-3u3+1) du

Then I plugged in my bounds and got 99/140, but the answer in the back of the book is 16/35. I'm having trouble figuring out what I did wrong.

How do you get ##u^3##? It should be ##u^2## instead.

Pranav-Arora said:
How do you get ##u^3##? It should be ##u^2## instead.

Ooops! It was just a silly mistake. Thanks so much!

Related to Evaluating Trigonometric Integral

What is a trigonometric integral?

A trigonometric integral is an integral that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent. It is a type of integration problem that is commonly encountered in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

What is the process for evaluating a trigonometric integral?

The process for evaluating a trigonometric integral involves using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It may also require using a table of trigonometric integrals or a calculator to find the solution.

What are some common trigonometric integrals?

Some common trigonometric integrals include the integral of sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent functions. These integrals often require the use of trigonometric identities to simplify the problem before integrating.

How do you know which technique to use when evaluating a trigonometric integral?

The technique used to evaluate a trigonometric integral depends on the form of the integral and the trigonometric function involved. It is important to recognize patterns and apply appropriate techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities.

Why is it important to evaluate trigonometric integrals?

Evaluating trigonometric integrals is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve trigonometric functions. It also helps us understand the behavior of these functions and their relationships to other mathematical concepts.