Evaluating Motor Specifications for a Conveyor

Devin-M said:
If the sprocket that moves the conveyor is 702mm instead of 70mm, the motor will need to turn 10x slower and output 10x as much torque.
So logically speaking motor wouldn't be enough right? Since as I mentioned the 70 mm is the shaft coming out the motor which turns the sprocket that is 234 mm, the 234 mm sprocket turns another 234 mm sprocket which is connected to the 702 mm you mentioned by a shaft (as shown in my drawing), so now what I get is that I need a motor with a low rpm and a high torque?

Engineering news on Phys.org
oho11 said:
so now what I get is that I need a motor with a low rpm and a high torque?
Or a greater reduction ratio in the gearbox.

Baluncore said:
Or a greater reduction ratio in the gearbox.
So instead of 137:1 it would need to be more than 137 right?

1370:1

There is still too much possible miscommunication in this design.
I would draw a diagram of the system, showing all the stages.
Make sure all the parameters were identified for each stage.
Then recompute it for the known values.

Likes jrmichler
Do you have a Machinery's Handbook? If not, I highly recommend you get one. It has virtually every thing you would need to know about any sort of mechanical application. A truly invaluable resource. We refer to it as the Bible in my industry. The standard version is nice and compact, but the larger version is easier to read.

https://books.industrialpress.com/machinery-handbook/

• Informative
Likes curiously, Tom.G and berkeman
oho11 said:
Thank you so much I will definitely look into this as I didn't think about this part!

But how would I be able to apply this to my problem after I find the motor constant?
Rapistan Demag are the pros at this. I used to be a conveyor mechanic at a distribution center with 30 miles of conveyor belts. Once you find your max load allowance don't forget a overcurrent circuit to shutoff motor.

MillGuy said:
Do you have a Machinery's Handbook? If not, I highly recommend you get one. It has virtually every thing you would need to know about any sort of mechanical application. A truly invaluable resource. We refer to it as the Bible in my industry. The standard version is nice and compact, but the larger version is easier to read.

https://books.industrialpress.com/machinery-handbook/
I used to work on Rapistan Demag systems. Pretty straight forward. He can get specs he needs for loads required

oho11 said:
So logically speaking motor wouldn't be enough right? Since as I mentioned the 70 mm is the shaft coming out the motor which turns the sprocket that is 234 mm, the 234 mm sprocket turns another 234 mm sprocket which is connected to the 702 mm you mentioned by a shaft (as shown in my drawing), so now what I get is that I need a motor with a low rpm and a high torque?
A transmission gearbox