Evaluating Limits Involving Constants

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating limits in terms of constants and the attempt to solve the given problem using the difference of two limits method. However, this approach proved to be incorrect and the individual asks for guidance on how to proceed. The conversation then delves into the limit theorems and the possibility of the limit being infinite or non-existent. Eventually, the individual remembers an approach from their calculus notebook that involves long division and is able to solve the problem with the correct answer being -4a.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

Evaluate the limits in the terms of the constants involved:

[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{(x+a)^2-4x^2}{x-a}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I plugged in a to make sure it was indeterminate and it was it ends up being 0/0.

So I tried to break this up into the difference of two limits;

[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{(x+a)^2}{x-a}[/itex] -[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} \frac{4x^2}{x-a}[/itex]

but I again got stuck and I'm not even sure if this attempt is the correct way to go, I also tried to split the numerator into the difference of two squares but that lead to nothing, I'm not really sure where to go from here I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
physstudent1 said:
I'm not even sure if this attempt is the correct way to go,
Well, as the limit theorems say... if at least one of those two limits exist, then this is a valid way to compute the oriignal limit. Does either one exist?

I would think they both do although they get 0 in the denominator they do not get 0 in the numerator nor infinity

physstudent1 said:
I would think they both do although they get 0 in the denominator they do not get 0 in the numerator nor infinity
Well, what do the limit theorems say about the limit of a fraction when the limit of the numerator is nonzero and the limit of the denominator is zero?

Hrm. I suppose it depends on how you are interpreting "exist". Certainly, the limit theorems tell you that the limit is not finite -- so if they exist, the only remaining possibilities are positive or negative infinity. So, there are very few possibilities; can you tell if these limits are +infinity, -infinity, or nonexistant?

(My previous statements were made according to the interpretation that "doesn't exist" includes the csaes where the limit goes to +infinity or to -infinity)

Hrm. The limit theorems I remember include cases like:

If [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x)[/itex] exists and is nonzero, and [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} g(x) = 0[/itex], then [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) / g(x)[/itex] is either infinite or nonexistant.​

i know that if you had actual numbers instead of a I could tell if if they were going to infinity but with a variable its confusing me

does it approach -infinity from the left but +infinity from the right won't the top stay 0 near the limit because near the limit x will be very close to the value of a and you will get 4a^2-4a^2

waitttt hold on can't you use long division for these types of problems I am looking through my old calculus notebook and I see that I used long division for some

physstudent1 said:
does it approach -infinity from the left but +infinity from the right won't the top stay 0 near the limit because near the limit x will be very close to the value of a and you will get 4a^2-4a^2

physstudent1 said:
waitttt hold on can't you use long division for these types of problems I am looking through my old calculus notebook and I see that I used long division for some
You're right on both counts! You have both determined why your approach won't work, and you have recalled an approach that will work!

:_) is the answer -4a

I agree with that.

thanks for all the help hurkyl

Related to Evaluating Limits Involving Constants

1. What is the purpose of evaluating limits involving constants?

Evaluating limits involving constants helps us understand the behavior of a function as the independent variable approaches a specific value. This is important in many areas of science, such as physics and engineering, where we need to know how a system will behave under different conditions.

2. How do you determine the limit of a function involving constants?

To determine the limit of a function involving constants, you need to plug in the given value for the independent variable into the function and evaluate the resulting expression. This will give you the value of the limit, if it exists.

3. What are the different types of limits involving constants?

There are three types of limits involving constants: finite limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. Finite limits have a numerical value, while infinite limits approach positive or negative infinity. Limits at infinity occur when the independent variable approaches positive or negative infinity.

4. Can a function have different limits involving constants at different points?

Yes, a function can have different limits involving constants at different points. This is because the behavior of a function can vary depending on the value of the independent variable. Therefore, the limit of a function at a specific point may not be the same as the limit at another point.

5. How can evaluating limits involving constants be useful in real-world applications?

Evaluating limits involving constants can be useful in real-world applications in various ways. For example, it can help us determine the maximum or minimum values of a system, predict the behavior of a system under different conditions, and optimize processes in fields such as economics and biology.