Evaluating Im (z*w)/(2z-3w) for z=3-i and w=1+3i

The denominator should be 2(3-i) - 3(1+3i) = 6-2i-3-9i=3-7i.In summary, the problem involves evaluating Im(z∗w)/(2z − 3w) where z = 3−i and w = 1+3i. After calculating the numerator (3-i)(1+3i) and denominator 2z − 3w, it is determined that the answer is 10/7. However, after further examination, it is found that the correct answer is 3/13. The conversation then clarifies the calculations and concludes that the numerator is correct but the denominator should be 2(3-i
geffman1
hey guys I've got a problem

If z = 3− i and w = 1+3i, evaluate Im (z∗w)/(2z − 3w)

my attempt... ill do top first (3+i)(1+3i)=3+9i+i+3i^2=10i?

bottom=3-2i-3+9i=7i therefore answer equals 10/7 however answer is 3/13. could someone please help. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
(3-i)(1+3i) is the numerator, work that out again.

Also for 2z, why did you have 3-2i instead of 2(3-i)=6-2i ?

o soz that * is not a multiple sign its the conjurate sign i think. o yeh the bottom should be (6-2i)-(3+9i)=3+7i. is that right??

No [itex]-2i-9i \neq -7i[/itex]. The numerator has been calculated correctly.

Related to Evaluating Im (z*w)/(2z-3w) for z=3-i and w=1+3i

1. What is a simple complex number?

A simple complex number is a number that has two parts: a real part and an imaginary part. It can be represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The real part is a regular number, while the imaginary part is a multiple of the imaginary unit i, which is defined as the square root of -1.

2. How do you add or subtract simple complex numbers?

To add or subtract simple complex numbers, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, (3 + 2i) + (5 + 4i) = (3 + 5) + (2i + 4i) = 8 + 6i. Similarly, (3 + 2i) - (5 + 4i) = (3 - 5) + (2i - 4i) = -2 - 2i.

3. How do you multiply simple complex numbers?

To multiply simple complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just like you would with binomials. For example, (3 + 2i)(5 + 4i) = (3*5) + (3*4i) + (2i*5) + (2i*4i) = 15 + 12i + 10i + 8i^2. Remember that i^2 is equal to -1, so this simplifies to 15 + 12i + 10i - 8 = 7 + 22i.

4. How do you divide simple complex numbers?

To divide simple complex numbers, you use the conjugate of the denominator to eliminate the imaginary part. The conjugate of a + bi is a - bi. For example, to divide (3 + 2i) by (5 + 4i), you would multiply both the numerator and denominator by (5 - 4i). This gives us (3 + 2i)(5 - 4i) / (5 + 4i)(5 - 4i) = (15 - 12i + 10i - 8i^2) / (25 - 16i^2). Again, i^2 simplifies to -1, so this becomes (23 - 2i) / 41.

5. What are some real-life applications of simple complex numbers?

Simple complex numbers are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, they are used to describe the behavior of electric currents and electromagnetic fields. In engineering, they are used in circuits and signal processing. In economics, they are used to model financial markets and analyze economic trends. They also have applications in computer graphics and cryptography.