Evaluating Fractions with fractorials

• Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate factorial expressions, specifically (n+2)!/n! and n!/(n-1)!. The speaker initially struggles with finding the solutions, but after looking at the back of the book, they realize that the expressions can be expanded and simplified. The conversation also mentions using a specific example, such as n=5, to better understand the concept of factorials.
kuahji
Evaluate each factorial expression

A) (n+2)!/n!

My book doesn't really show how to come up with a solution. After looking in the back for the answer it showed (n+2)(n+1), which works if you plug in random values for x. "After" seeing the answer I reasoned maybe it could be broken down as (n+1)(n+2)n!/n!, but not really understanding why... like how am I factoring out the n! & ending up with that?

Here is another one I'm struggling with n!/(n-1)!. Here again, the book shows the answer to be n, which works, but can't quiet figure out how to get started. I thought maybe it'd be n!/(n-1)n! but that doesn't give me n as an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
well look at this:

4! = 4*3*2*1

n! = n*(n-1)*(n-2)* ... *2*1

So now, what do you think of the:
(n+2)!

I think it helps as malawi_glenn said to expand the factorials.

[tex]\frac{(n+2)!}{n!} = \frac{(n+2)*(n+1)*(n)*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*2*1}{(n)*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*2*1}[/tex]

Ok, that helps I think. So with say this one n!/(n-1)! that is like saying

n(n-1)(n-2).../(n-1)(n-2)... = n

Its like the denominator starts at (n-1) instead of n in the sequence & the rest just cancels out, correct? Thanks for the help.

kuahji said:
Ok, that helps I think. So with say this one n!/(n-1)! that is like saying

n(n-1)(n-2).../(n-1)(n-2)... = n

Its like the denominator starts at (n-1) instead of n in the sequence & the rest just cancels out, correct? Thanks for the help.

Well, yes.
If you are not comfortable with doing it with n, try to do it with a number, say 5, in the begining, then you will get more comfortable with the more abstract ones.

Related to Evaluating Fractions with fractorials

What is a fraction?

A fraction is a numerical quantity that represents a part of a whole. It is expressed as one number (the numerator) divided by another number (the denominator), typically separated by a horizontal line.

What is a fractorial?

A fractorial is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a fraction by itself multiple times. For example, 1/2! (one-half factorial) is equal to 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4.

How do you evaluate fractions?

To evaluate a fraction, you need to simplify it to its lowest terms by dividing the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor. This will give you the most simplified form of the fraction.

What is the purpose of evaluating fractions with fractorials?

Evaluating fractions with fractorials can help us solve complex mathematical problems involving fractions. It allows us to manipulate fractions in a way that makes them easier to work with and understand.

What are some tips for evaluating fractions with fractorials?

Some tips for evaluating fractions with fractorials include first simplifying the fraction to its lowest terms, using common factors to cancel out terms, and breaking down larger fractions into smaller, more manageable fractions. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic fraction operations.