Evaluating Double Integral $II_{5d}$

In summary, the given double integral evaluates to $\pi^2$ by first computing the inner integral, denoted as $I_1$, and then expressing the double integral as a product of two $I_1$ values. The final result is $\pi^2$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\textsf{d. Evaluate :}\\$
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
II_{5d}&=\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}
\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}
\frac{1}{(x^2+1)(y^2+1)}
\, dy dx
\end{align*}

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: double Integral

First, I would begin by computing:

\(\displaystyle I_1=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{u^2+1}\,du=\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\int_{-t}^{t}\frac{1}{u^2+1}\,du\right)=\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\left[\arctan(t)-\arctan(-t)\right]_{-t}^{t}\right)=2\lim_{t\to\infty}\left(\arctan(t)\right)=2\cdot\frac{\pi}{2}=\pi\)

And now we can write:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{\left(x^2+1\right)\left(y^2+1\right)}\,dy\,dx=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^2+1}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{y^2+1}\,dy\,dx\)

Can you now express $I$ as a function of $I_1$?

so would this simply be:

$$\pi \cdot \pi = \pi^2$$

karush said:
so would this simply be:

$$\pi \cdot \pi = \pi^2$$

Yes, that's correct. :)

ahhh progress😎

Related to Evaluating Double Integral $II_{5d}$

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that is used to calculate the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. It is represented by two integral signs and is often used in multivariable calculus and physics.

2. What does "Evaluating Double Integral" mean?

Evaluating a double integral means finding the numerical value of the integral. This involves calculating the area under a surface in two-dimensional space by using two integral signs.

3. How is a double integral calculated?

A double integral is calculated by first setting up the limits of integration for both variables. Then, the integral is solved by using the appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. Finally, the resulting expression is evaluated to find the numerical value.

4. What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one-dimensional space, while a double integral is used to find the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. Additionally, a double integral involves integrating over two variables, while a single integral only involves one variable.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the mass of an object with variable density, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the probability of an event in statistics. They are also used in engineering, physics, and economics to solve various problems involving two-dimensional space.