Evaluating an Integral: Laplace Transform Method

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a specific integral using different methods, including contour integration and the Laplace transform. The challenge question involves using a given fact to show that the integral can also be evaluated in another way. The problem is then broken down into three parts, with the first two being solved and the third being trivial.
polygamma
The typical way to evaluate $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos mx}{a^{2}+x^{2}} \ dx$ is by contour integration.

In a recent thread I evaluated that integral using the Laplace transform.

http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/advanced-integration-problem-9129.html#post42551My challenge question is to use the fact that $$ \frac{1}{a^{2}+x^{2}} = 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} t e^{-(a^{2}+x^{2}) t^{2}} \ dt $$ to show that

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos mx}{a^{2}+x^{2}} \ dx = \frac{\pi}{2a} e^{-am} .$$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm going to break the problem into three parts.1) Show that $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t^{2} x^{2}} \cos (mx) \ dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2t} e^{-m^{2}/(4t^{2})}$.2) Show that $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-[a^{2}t^{2} + m^{2}/(4t^{2})]} \ dt = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2a} e^{-am}$.3) Evaluate $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos mx}{a^{2}+x^{2}} \ dx$ using the fact that $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos mx}{a^{2}+x^{2}} \ dx= 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty} \cos(mx) t e^{-(a^{2}+x^{2}) t^{2}} \ dt \ dx $.

Last edited:
Random Variable said:
I'm going to break the problem into three parts.1) Show that $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-t^{2} x^{2}} \cos (mx) \ dx = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2t} e^{-m^{2}/(4t^{2})}$.2) Show that $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-[a^{2}t^{2} + m^{2}/(4t^{2})]} \ dt = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2a} e^{-am}$.3) Evaluate $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos mx}{a^{2}+x^{2}} \ dx$ using the fact that $ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\cos mx}{a^{2}+x^{2}} \ dx= 2 \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty} \cos(mx) t e^{-(a^{2}+x^{2}) t^{2}} \ dt \ dx $.

I have figured out the first two parts, still working on third. :)

Woops, third one is trivial now. :p
Problem 1.
Let
$$I(m)=\int_0^{\infty} e^{-t^2x^2}\cos(mx)\,\,dx$$
Differentiate wrt $m$,
$$I'(m)=-\int_0^{\infty} xe^{-t^2x^2}\sin(mx)\,\,dx$$
Integrate by parts and using the fact that $\int xe^{-t^2x^2}dx=-e^{-t^2x^2}/(2t^2)$, we get:
$$I'(m)=-\frac{mI(m)}{2t^2}$$
Solving the differential equation,
$$\ln I(m)=-\frac{m^2}{4t^2}+C$$
Since $I(0)=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2t}$, we have $C=\ln(I(0))$, hence
$$\ln\left(\frac{I(m)}{I(0)}\right)=-\frac{m^2}{4t^2}$$
$$\Rightarrow I(m)=I(0)e^{-m^2/(4t^2)}=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2t}e^{-m^2/(4t^2)}$$

-----------------------------
Problem 2.
Let
$$I(m)=\int_0^{\infty} e^{-(a^2t^2+m^2/(4t^2))}dt=e^{-am}\int_0^{\infty} e^{-(at-m/t)^2}\,dt$$

Differentiate wrt m to get
$$I'(m)=-ae^{-am}\int_0^{\infty} e^{-(at-m/t)^2}\,dt+2e^{-am}\int_0^{\infty} e^{-(at-m/t)^2}\left(a-\frac{m}{t^2}\right)\,dt$$
I rewrite $a-m/t^2$ as $2a-a-m/t^2$ and split the integral as follows:
$$I'(m)=-aI(m)+4ae^{-am}\int_0^{\infty} e^{-(at-m/t)^2}\,dt-2e^{-am}\int_0^{\infty} e^{-(at-m/t)^2}\left(a+\frac{m}{t^2}\right)\,dt$$
$$I'(m)=3aI-2e^{-am}\int_0^{\infty} e^{-(at-m/t)^2}\left(a+\frac{m}{t^2}\right)\,dt$$
Use the substitution $at-m/t=u$ in the integral.
$$\Rightarrow I'(m)=3aI(m)-2e^{-am}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-u^2}\,du$$
Since
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-u^2}\,du=\sqrt{\pi}$$
hence, we have the linear differential equation,
$$I'(m)-3aI(m)=-2e^{-am}\sqrt{\pi}$$
The integrating factor is $e^{-3am}$, hence,
$$I(m)\cdot e^{-3am}=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}e^{-4am}}{2a}+C$$
Since $I(0)=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2a}$, we have $C=0$, hence
$$I(m)=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2a}e^{-am}$$

--------------------------
Problem 3.
Rewrite the integral as
$$2\int_0^{\infty}te^{-a^2t^2}\int_0^{\infty} e^{-x^2t^2}\cos(mx)\,dx\,dt$$
From Problem 1, we can write:
$$2\int_0^{\infty}te^{-a^2t^2}\cdot\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2t}e^{-m^2/(4t^2)}\,dt=\sqrt{\pi}\int_0^{\infty}e^{-a^2t^2-m^2/(4t^2)}\,dt$$
From the result of problem 2, we have
$$\sqrt{\pi}\cdot \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2a}e^{-am}=\frac{\pi}{2a}e^{-am}$$

Last edited:

Related to Evaluating an Integral: Laplace Transform Method

1. What is the Laplace transform method for evaluating integrals?

The Laplace transform method is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals involving exponential and trigonometric functions. It transforms the integral into a simpler form that can be easily evaluated using algebraic methods.

2. When is the Laplace transform method used?

The Laplace transform method is commonly used in engineering, physics, and mathematics to solve differential equations and integrals. It is particularly useful for solving problems involving systems with a constant input or boundary conditions.

3. How does the Laplace transform method work?

The Laplace transform method involves applying the Laplace transform operator to the integrand, which converts the integral into an algebraic expression. This expression can then be manipulated using algebraic techniques, such as partial fraction decomposition, to obtain the solution to the original integral.

4. What are the advantages of using the Laplace transform method?

The Laplace transform method allows for the solution of integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional integration techniques. It also provides a systematic approach to solving differential equations and allows for the evaluation of integrals with complex-valued functions.

5. Are there any limitations to the Laplace transform method?

The Laplace transform method is limited to integrals that converge. It may also require some algebraic manipulation and knowledge of complex numbers to obtain the final solution. Additionally, the Laplace transform method may not be the most efficient approach for evaluating certain types of integrals.