Evaluating a Definite Integral

The last line of your attempt at solution should be [-ln(u)/u - 1/u] 1->2.In summary, the correct solution is -ln(3)/3 + ln(2)/2 + 1/6. The mistake was in the integration of 1/u^2, which should be -1/u, not ln(u).
Saterial

Homework Statement

∫ln(x+1)/(x+1)2dx from a=1, b=2

(Answer is -ln3/3+ln2/2+1/6)

Homework Equations

∫fdg=fg-∫gdf

The Attempt at a Solution

Let u = (x+1), du=dx

∫lnu/u2du
Let f=lnu , df = 1/udu, g=-1/u, dg=1/u2du

=-lnu/u+∫1/u2du
=[-lnu+1/u] 1->2

Using Fundamental Theorem of Calculus plug in a,b

=[-ln(2+1)/(2+1)-(-ln(1+1)/(1+1)]
=-ln3/3+ln2/2

What did I miss in order for me not to get 1/6 in the answer? Help would be great!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When you used a change of variable right at the beginning of u= x+1, you have to evaluate your limits of integration for the new variable. Ie after using parts, you should integrate between 3 and 2.

Saterial said:

Homework Statement

∫ln(x+1)/(x+1)2dx from a=1, b=2

(Answer is -ln3/3+ln2/2+1/6)

Homework Equations

∫fdg=fg-∫gdf

Let u = (x+1), du=dx

∫lnu/u2du

=-lnu/u+∫1/u2du
=[-lnu+1/u] 1->2

Using Fundamental Theorem of Calculus plug in a,b

=[-ln(2+1)/(2+1)-(-ln(1+1)/(1+1)]
=-ln3/3+ln2/2

What did I miss in order for me not to get 1/6 in the answer? Help would be great!

Thanks

CAF123 said:
When you used a change of variable right at the beginning of u= x+1, you have to evaluate your limits of integration for the new variable. Ie after using parts, you should integrate between 3 and 2.

No, you don't have to evaluate at the new limits when you do a change of variable. If you "undo" the substitution, you can use the original limits.

∫lnu/u2du

=-lnu/u+∫1/u2du
=[-lnu+1/u]
You are missing a u in the denominator of the first term, so it should be -ln(u)/u.

Undo the substitution to get -ln(x + 1)/(x+1) + 1/(x + 1) and evaluate at 2 and 1, as usual, and you'll get the answer you showed.

Thanks for the replies!

I tried out both methods but did not have any luck. With the first method provided by CAF123. I was unable to get an answer close to what it should be. With Mark's method. I received an answer of -ln3/3+ln2/2+2. I still cannot find where I am going wrong to not get 1/6.

Saterial said:

Let u = (x+1), du=dx

∫lnu/u2du

=-lnu/u+∫1/u2du
What is [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{u^2}\,du\ ?[/itex]

(You have a sign error.)

=[-lnu+1/u] 1->2

Last edited:
In the end, you should be integrating -ln(u)/u -1/u with upper limit 3, lower limit 2.
Or as Mark44 said, integrate -ln(x+1)/(x+1) -1/(x+1) with upper limit 2, lower limit 1.
(To Mark44: I understood this perfectly, I think I just misinterpreted what the last line was in the OP's attempt).
Many thanks.

How come? isn't that suppose to be ∫gdf? In which, pulling out the negative will make the integral become positive and 1/u^2du.

Correct, but the integral of 1/u^2 is -1/u

Related to Evaluating a Definite Integral

1. What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area between a function and the x-axis over a specific interval. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and has a lower and upper limit (a and b, respectively) that define the interval of integration.

2. How do you evaluate a definite integral?

To evaluate a definite integral, you first need to find the anti-derivative of the given function. Then, you substitute the upper and lower limits into the anti-derivative and subtract the result of the lower limit from the upper limit.

3. What is the significance of a definite integral?

A definite integral has various applications in mathematics and real-life situations. It can be used to calculate areas, volumes, and lengths, as well as to find the average value of a function over a given interval.

4. Can a definite integral be negative?

Yes, a definite integral can be negative. This occurs when the function being integrated has a negative value over the given interval, resulting in a negative area. However, the definite integral can also be positive or zero, depending on the function and interval.

5. What are the conditions for a definite integral to exist?

A definite integral exists if the function being integrated is continuous over the given interval and the interval is finite. Additionally, the function should not have any vertical asymptotes or infinite discontinuities within the interval.